I won an nvidia contest!!!

Very nice, could be a great wallpaper. Love the depth of field background stuff. And those guns really capture the overkill of sli, heck why carry only one of those things when you have a whole other arm.

gotkilled said:
Wow, very nice. release the 1680 resolution version.

I submitted a 3600x3000 pixel tif to nvidia for the contest. They size it how they want. I did request 1280 x 1024, because i know a lot of people have that native resolution. As far as higher res versions, they own the rights to the image now, so I'm not sure what I'm allowed to do. I'll ask.

What the... you got 2 6800 ultras!? that kinda sucks. Getting a card thats no longer manufactured. That deserves 2 7800 GTs.

common Nvidia.

Nice work BTW

Wesley1357 said:
Congratulations! was it difficult? how long did it take to make?

Thanks. Yes. It was one of my first projects using cinema 4d, so it was a learning process. It took longer than it should have :)

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it funny that the 1st and 2nd place runners up committed copyright infringement?

(Specifically, Windows' Bliss wallpaper, which is not public domain)

and

a D&D Module cover (Copyright TSR)

Malogato said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it funny that the 1st and 2nd place runners up committed copyright infringement?

(Specifically, Windows' Bliss wallpaper, which is not public domain)

and

a D&D Module cover (Copyright TSR)

I'm pretty sure that's not the bliss wallpaper in the 1st runner up. I do like the canadian flag on the turtle in the background, and I'm diggin the tubes on the sli turtle...they're eerily similar to my coolant tubes on the guns.

Is it copyright infringement to create something with the same theme as a copyrighted material? The last one is very D&Dish, but it's an original piece of work.

sarbz said:
I'm pretty sure that's not the bliss wallpaper in the 1st runner up. I do like the canadian flag on the turtle in the background, and I'm diggin the tubes on the sli turtle...they're eerily similar to my coolant tubes on the guns.

Is it copyright infringement to create something with the same theme as a copyrighted material? The last one is very D&Dish, but it's an original piece of work.

I've seen that picture before - The guy fighting dual dragon. :) - You can also see
that the text was just "fit" into it.

Personally, I would have gone with three cars on a track. Two green cars neck and neck, and a red car (by itself) trailing behind. :)

That is, of course, had I know about the contest.

Taking a closer look at bliss, it seems however, that you are correct, it's just a complete bastardization of it, but not actually bliss itself.

Malogato said:
I've seen that picture before - The guy fighting dual dragon. :) - You can also see

Personally, I would have gone with three cars on a track. Two green cars neck and neck, and a red car (by itself) trailing behind. :)

Taking a closer look at bliss, it seems however, that you are correct, it's just a complete bastardization of it, but not actually bliss itself.

There was a company many years ago that got sued for using 24/7 in the same color scheme as 7-11 - It looked very very similair to their design apparantly. The fact that they were also a quickie convenience store wasn't helpful, either.

Malogato said:

nice double post. If you want to bash the other contestants, start a new thread.

...and the artwork WAS original. Just because 99.9% of D&D stuff has a guy fighting a dragon, that doesn't mean he ripped it off.

And bliss isn't exactly original in itself. It a landscape featuring green grass and a blue sky... :eek:

nice idea on the cars, guess you should have entered :p

HighwayAssassins said:
wow, congrats man...hope you put that stuff to good use.

do you get to pick the socket on the mobo?

nope, it's 939.

did you get it? like they say you could sell the 2 and get a 7800gtx (maybe the new 512).

Now all we need is a 1920x1200 version of this amazing wallpaper...*hint* ;)

Did anyone mention a duel monitor version of this yet? Copyright infringement pending....

Awesome work bud. Artwork is a skill I do not have. :rolleyes:

Congrads.

Here's a little update:

Nvidia & Leadtek couldn't get their hands on 2 6800ultra pci-e's I guess....and the rules state that a substitute prize of equal or greater value will be awarded.

...2 leadtek 7800gt's and a foxcon Winfast NF4 SLI mobo arrived at my doorstep yesterday :D

After much thought, I've decided to sell the cards & mobo. I was planning on selling the mobo anyway, but I just don't need 2 7800gt's right now. I don't even need one. It's not going to provide a HUGE improvement over what I currently have. I think I can make my current video card last through this generation.

So I decided to apply the cash earned from the sales towards several other things I've been wanting to buy for my computer for a while:

-Logitech MX1000 laser mouse
-24" Sony FW900 widescreen CRT :D
-Sound card (currently using onboard)
-several games
-another gig of ram

These things will improve my gaming & general computer useage far more than a 7800gt. Especially the 24" CRT. I've been using a cheap 17" lcd for about a year, and I miss my old 19" crt. The lcd kicks ass for EVERYTHING, but gaming & video. I can live with the downsides of a 100lb CRT that occupies over 5 cubic feet of space. It'll be like having a small HDTV for a monitor :D And I won't have to run a native resolution for decent image quality...YAY!!!!

I'm also coming up on a 1 year anniversary for my wife and I, and anything left over is going towards a weekend getaway.

I'd also like to note that Nvidia has been awesome through this whole thing. I have a lot of respect for a company that advertises a prize of 2x6800ultras and then ships you 7800gt's!

it's always funny when someone wins a contest and sells all of the prizes

makes sense though since you would have to buy a new processor and a new power supply to use them

i'd never have any use for two 7800GTs, i would have sold them too. my 6600GT is barely getting tested.

congrats on winning, looking at your work, you clearly deserved to, in my opinion.

santaliqueur said:
i'd never have any use for two 7800GTs, i would have sold them too. my 6600GT is barely getting tested.

congrats on winning, looking at your work, you clearly deserved to, in my opinion.

thank you.

CRXican said:
it's always funny when someone wins a contest and sells all of the prizes

makes sense though since you would have to buy a new processor and a new power supply to use them

yeah...I feel kind of funny about selling it, but I'm not in the market for a new cpu & psu. If I did do it, all I would be able to afford would be a cheap venice probably. And SLI 7800gt's would be an absolute waste on a crappy 17" lcd.

The worst part is that I have ati hardware right now :eek: ...makes me almost feel guilty.

wow nice!

I with I could make entries like that. How long you been using Cinema 4D?

Congraats. :)

Shameless Liar said:
wow nice!

I with I could make entries like that. How long you been using Cinema 4D?

Congraats. :)

Thanks, I've been using it for about 5 months or so.

sarbz said:
Here's a little update:

Nvidia & Leadtek couldn't get their hands on 2 6800ultra pci-e's I guess....and the rules state that a substitute prize of equal or greater value will be awarded.

...2 leadtek 7800gt's and a foxcon Winfast NF4 SLI mobo arrived at my doorstep yesterday :D

After much thought, I've decided to sell the cards & mobo. I was planning on selling the mobo anyway, but I just don't need 2 7800gt's right now. I don't even need one. It's not going to provide a HUGE improvement over what I currently have.

Man...thats just blasphemy.

Dude...unless you just need to pay the rent for a month or something, I think youd be better off selling your current vid/cpu/mb and buying a 3800 X2 to use?

To make a statement like "It's not going to provide a HUGE improvement over what I currently have." leads me to wonder if you have been living under a rock the last 6 months.

BBA said:
Man...thats just blasphemy.

Dude...unless you just need to pay the rent for a month or something, I think youd be better off selling your current vid/cpu/mb and buying a 3800 X2 to use?

To make a statement like "It's not going to provide a HUGE improvement over what I currently have." leads me to wonder if you have been living under a rock the last 6 months.

Yes, I live under a rock :rolleyes:

Don't be a jack ass man. All of the games I play right now run fine on high detail. HL2, CS:S, DOD:S, Farcry, doom3, quake4, swat4, bf2. Even COD2 runs great. And FEAR runs fine with no AA. I don't need a rig that pushes 100+fps instead of 40-60.

How much better would that 7800gt sli setup be than my current rig? Not only would it cost me MORE money, but it would go to waste on my shitty 17" lcd.

And I'm not in to the whole future proofing crap anymore, because it never happens that way. I buy something to be future proof, and 6 months later, I upgrade anyway. I'll buy technology as I need it, not to be prepared for what's around the corner. I don't need the X2 right now. I'm not a big multitasker.

sarbz said:
Yes, I live under a rock :rolleyes:

Don't be a jack ass man. All of the games I play right now run fine on high detail. HL2, CS:S, DOD:S, Farcry, doom3, quake4, swat4, bf2. Even COD2 runs great. And FEAR runs fine with no AA. I don't need a rig that pushes 100+fps instead of 40-60.

How much better would that 7800gt sli setup be than my current rig? Not only would it cost me MORE money, but it would go to waste on my shitty 17" lcd.

And I'm not in to the whole future proofing crap anymore, because it never happens that way. I buy something to be future proof, and 6 months later, I upgrade anyway. I'll buy technology as I need it, not to be prepared for what's around the corner. I don't need the X2 right now. I'm not a big multitasker.
Sarbz, you are definitely on the right track. Took me a long time to see things your way. Congratulations on the win, you deserved it.

S.O.

sarbz said:
nice double post. If you want to bash the other contestants, start a new thread.
Yeah.> I hit submit by accident.. It happens.

sarbz said:
...and the artwork WAS original. Just because 99.9% of D&D stuff has a guy fighting a dragon, that doesn't mean he ripped it off.
I retracted my statement about bliss. I never said the turtle thing wasn't original. Course, I woulda made it a green pteradactyl (or something other that's a fast flyer) and a red turtle crawling... I think the concept of nvidia being a "Fast turtle" is wholly wrong.

Just as the non-green, non-tech, D&D "inspired" dragon isn't on target.. I didn't see all the entries, but, of the winners, your's is the only one that even invokes the right message.

Two "Rail Gun" looking weapons.. The only variation I can imagine on that is a "Screenshot" of a 1 on 1 Deathmatch with one char with your two guns.. and another guy with a red pistol :)

Your idea really embraces the "power of two", and shows nvidia brand identity.

The turtle gives the wrong message, and BARELY shows brand identity.

sarbz said:
And bliss isn't exactly original in itself. It a landscape featuring green grass and a blue sky... :eek:
True.. But that's like saying that two paintings of women smiling invalidate the uniqueness of the mona lisa. (Not that I'm saying that bliss = mona lisa) .

sarbz said:
nice idea on the cars, guess you should have entered :p
As previously mentioned.. Don't know how I worded it, but.. "I was unaware of the contest"

I'm not even saying I could have done better.. I still KNOW you would have beat me.. but I feel with what your runners' up were.. I'd be right behind you :)

My modeling skills are a bit rusty.

Malogato said:
Yeah.> I hit submit by accident.. It happens.

I retracted my statement about bliss. I never said the turtle thing wasn't original. Course, I woulda made it a green pteradactyl (or something other that's a fast flyer) and a red turtle crawling... I think the concept of nvidia being a "Fast turtle" is wholly wrong.

Just as the non-green, non-tech, D&D "inspired" dragon isn't on target.. I didn't see all the entries, but, of the winners, your's is the only one that even invokes the right message.

Two "Rail Gun" looking weapons.. The only variation I can imagine on that is a "Screenshot" of a 1 on 1 Deathmatch with one char with your two guns.. and another guy with a red pistol :)

Your idea really embraces the "power of two", and shows nvidia brand identity.

The turtle gives the wrong message, and BARELY shows brand identity.

True.. But that's like saying that two paintings of women smiling invalidate the uniqueness of the mona lisa. (Not that I'm saying that bliss = mona lisa) .

As previously mentioned.. Don't know how I worded it, but.. "I was unaware of the contest"

I'm not even saying I could have done better.. I still KNOW you would have beat me.. but I feel with what your runners' up were.. I'd be right behind you :)

My modeling skills are a bit rusty.

No harm intended man, I just don't want to see anyone rip on the other contestants. It was just a fun contest :D

Back