I wish I had a reason to build something with this case...

I don't have any other parts for that...
Got parts? https://pcpartpicker.com/
No, sadly I can't help right now. I do build rigs on the side and usually have enough gear lying around for 2 or 3 extra systems. ATM I'm completely out of CPUs, PSUs and M.2s. Altho, I'm planning a trip to Microcenter in a few weeks to mooostly rectify those issues.

If you've got the itch, scratch it is my mantra! There's always something you can use another rig for and the build process is the most satisfying part of compiling and completing a new system.

I was actually asking if you could recommend SFF parts for that little toaster case by using PC Parts Picker.
I would have to do some serious reading to decide exactly what parts to stick in there!

The only SFF I've owned was a Shuttle (2007 to 2012) & one of 3 pre-built PC's I ever bought (out of 20+ builds).
> I think the shuttle was just a case & mobo & I added CPU, RAM, HD & vid card.

My "spare parts" are all outdated & in a storage unit in another state.

I still have a running Q6600, Q9550 & R7 3800X in the garage as backup!

I was actually asking if you could recommend SFF parts for that little toaster case by using PC Parts Picker.
I would have to do some serious reading to decide exactly what parts to stick in there!

The only SFF I've owned was a Shuttle (2007 to 2012) & one of 3 pre-built PC's I ever bought (out of 20+ builds).
> I think the shuttle was just a case & mobo & I added CPU, RAM, HD & vid card.

My "spare parts" are all outdated & in a storage unit in another state.

I still have a running Q6600, Q9550 & R7 3800X in the garage as backup!
Ah I gotcha! Well, as with any build your budget and use case are the two biggest factors.
I can say from experience that sff MBs are going to limit your choices regarding your platform. I would start there and work off of that. A solid Am4 or socket 1700 pick will be the obvious choices but itx/matx MBs can get very expensive if you want feature rich options. But once you've nailed down a platform everything else is gravy.

Ah I gotcha! Well, as with any build your budget and use case are the two biggest factors.
I can say from experience that sff MBs are going to limit your choices regarding your platform. I would start there and work off of that. A solid Am4 or socket 1700 pick will be the obvious choices but itx/matx MBs can get very expensive if you want feature rich options. But once you've nailed down a platform everything else is gravy.
If I pop on my local Facebook marketplace and search mini itx I get about 1600000000000000 cpu/mobo/ram combos from all kinds of generations of chips. I would take a peek, might get lucky.

Oh man. It would be a lot of fun to build a rig in that particular case for a certain old friend of mine. Back in our college days he had this piece of shit beater car known as "The Lunchbox." That case looks like a lunchbox. It would, of course, be better with no window and some '80s graphics painted on the sides. Beige would work too. "The Lunchbox" was kind of a tan color.

Yeah, the lunchbox handle caught my eye... zandor

Right now, I have zero budget and I'm just day-dreaming... hititnquitit

Use case is same as my current desktop - 3840 x 2160 gaming, 4K capture, video editing, photoshop.
- current PC = ASRock x570 Pro4 / R7 3700X / 64GB DDR4 / RTX 3070 8GB / 1TB NVME / 2 x 6TB WD BLACK 7200's

I took a stab at picking parts and think I picked the best parts for a quick fantasy build, but did not validate all sizes & power usage.

I found a RTX 4070 w/ 2 fans that would fit the 300mm max (no 4080's or 4090's would fit - but one 4090 was 304mm - so close).

It might support a better CPU but I picked one that is 65W & probably cooler than X versions, but IDK anymore w/ out reading more.

$2,500 !!!!!!!! and might still be missing a few case fans?
Here's the link - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3ygvfy

If I won the lottery, I'd add this too for an extra $2,700
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zxVmP6/mushkin-source-hc-16-tb-25-solid-state-drive-mknssdhc16tb

Realistically, I would never build this - unless I won the lottery!

For much less, I would upgrade my current CPU, buy a 4090, huge external duped HD's + new KB & mouse.

Last edited:
Back