I will NEVER purchase another MSI product again, here's why.

Not used MSI for years being honest reliability issues aside (I've had a few RMA'd over the years) I just don't think they're up to Asus or Gigabyte overall bang per buck. Lessons with mobos are don't spend big go mid range at most. Last MSI board I used had sound problems (still unresolved bypassed via an internal sound card) I prefer Gigabyte to Asus though the A8N-SLI I made years back still works to this day.

I've no time for PC chips, ECS or Foxconn either and I had a few Epox ones have issues (though some are running fine) I don't blame the OP for contacting the maker it was only just out of warranty. No joy spead the pain via forums ;-)

Not used MSI for years being honest reliability issues aside (I've had a few RMA'd over the years) I just don't think they're up to Asus or Gigabyte overall bang per buck. Lessons with mobos are don't spend big go mid range at most. Last MSI board I used had sound problems (still inresolved bypassed via an internal sound card) I prefer Gigabyte to Asus though the A8N-SLI I made years back still works to this day.

I've no time for PC chips, ECS or Foxconn either and I had a few Epox ones have issues (though some are running fine) I don't blame the OP for contacting the maker it was only just out of warranty.

It wasn't just out of warranty. It was months out.

I have an old 2002 Subaru Forrester LE, and its having a few problems....;)

Needed new tires, oil changes, light bulbs, new floor mats.
I once had to replace the front disc pads, ya, its got big problems.

Should I contact Subaru and tell them to get me a new
one at discount, cause its out of warranty, and was once
there top model?

So, how far do we let stupidty go?

If a board lasted 3+ years before it started experiencing any serious problems, I have a difficult time believing that is due to a defect from the factory. More likely it's something that occurred on the users end that damaged the board. I'm not implying negligence; sometimes shit happens.
QFT. Short and sweet.

I thought this was another thread about MSI boards burning in flames because of an AMD X6.

You can't blame MSI for not helping you after the warranty. I don't think any other company would help you either.

I had to rma an msi k8mm-v board three times, I never will purchase another MSI.

I didn't read every reply, I only made it through the first 20 or so, but I didn't see anyone yet who said what I was thinking, so I'll go with it anyway.

So what I am surprised at that no one seemed to pick up or recognize, is that it isn't so much that it died. Sure, hardware dies, it happens to all kinds of gear, regardless of how good of a company it is or the quality of their problems. I agree with those who think it was presumptuous for him to expect some kind of coupon or discount. Would it have been nice? Sure. But i think it was a bit much to go into it expecting it.

But does no one else agree that it was kinda rude and in bad taste on the part of MSI to just blow him off like that? Sure, I don't think he should expect something, but IMO a good company that values their customers would do more than shrug them off. I would expect them to maybe offer some insight or advice, and perhaps a recommendation as to a good replacement part to look at. And honestly, I have seen quite a few companies that will throw someone a bone who takes the time to contact them with such detail after a part dies, even if it was out of warranty.

I mean how much does it really cost them to throw someone a 10% off coupon? Had they done that, this thread would be completely different. He would be singing the praises of MSI about how stellar their customer service is, how they care about customers, and are a good honest company. That is much better and easier PR for them and gets them more business in the long run.

So no, I don't think he should have expected anything, but honestly I'm surprised he didn't get ANYTHING, and just was told "oh well, tough shit dude."

I had to rma an msi k8mm-v board three times, I never will purchase another MSI.

And this I can understand. Calling a company about an RMA months after the warranty expired, I can't.

The real solution here is you should stop buying overpriced motherboards. Then when they eventually break (as all things do), you won't feel like you died a little inside. No, you'll just go and buy a new one.

I guarantee you that midrange motherboards ($100-150 range) are built to the same quality specs as high-end boards. If you look at the specs, you'll find the same crap they charge $300 for (all solid caps, lots of VRM phases, passive coolers, 2-3 video slots. etc). Since most high-end motherboards (Sabertooth excluded) don't have warranties any longer than the cheaper boards, I can't see any logical reason to spend hundreds of dollars on your next mobo purchase.

The real solution here is you should stop buying overpriced motherboards. Then when they eventually break (as all things do), you won't feel like you died a little inside. No, you'll just go and buy a new one.

I guarantee you that midrange motherboards ($100-150 range) are built to the same quality specs as high-end boards. If you look at the specs, you'll find the same crap they charge $300 for (all solid caps, lots of VRM phases, passive coolers, 2-3 video slots. etc). Since most high-end motherboards (Sabertooth excluded) don't have warranties any longer than the cheaper boards, I can't see any logical reason to spend hundreds of dollars on your next mobo purchase.

I'm not sure what you are smoking. Higher end boards usually have more power phases than lower end or even-mid range boards. Chipset cooling is usually better on higher end motherboards. This doesn't always translate to superior overclocking, but it is there. Beyond that what really differentiates a mid-range or a cheap board from a high end board is features. Sometimes people need extra SATA ports or they want a different expansion slot configuration, higher end or dual NICs, etc.

As most nforce chipsets in my experience, but granted, the 680i was a failure. When I was younger, I laughed at my gamer friends who went all Nvidia (GPU + Chipset) to insure the best performance possible.

Even the updated 780i couldn't perform very well.

Not all NF chipsets have been bad. The old NF2 chipset was amazing. It was the only chipset to get if you were building a Socket A system for gaming. Both of my high end Socket A boards were NF2. I had a 750i board at one point and it rock solid. My brother managed to burn it out, but EVGA got me a replacement and the thing still works perfectly.

Not all NF chipsets have been bad. The old NF2 chipset was amazing. It was the only chipset to get if you were building a Socket A system for gaming. Both of my high end Socket A boards were NF2. I had a 750i board at one point and it rock solid. My brother managed to burn it out, but EVGA got me a replacement and the thing still works perfectly.

I had a nforce 4 that lasted 5 years of straight use and I finally sold it and upgraded my media center. But that thing was super hot, bios would say 30c chipset temp. It was a dirty lie I busted out my temp gun and it was 45c.

I had a nforce 4 that lasted 5 years of straight use and I finally sold it and upgraded my media center. But that thing was super hot, bios would say 30c chipset temp. It was a dirty lie I busted out my temp gun and it was 45c.

My old NF2 board died a couple years ago, but if I wanted to I could get it fixed just need to replace a cap. It didn't run too hot and since I was running a Barton CPU I never did any overclocking. Not that I would've had much luck anyway with DFI's horrible BIOS that seemed to require some kind of Phd to navigate. My other NF2 board bit the dust as well, another causality of my brother and what we ended up calling the cursed case because it seemed any motherboard put into the case would die after six months.

So, who wants to bet the OP really has bad RAM?

My 3 year old board's RAM died. Board wouldn't even POST with the bad RAM in. RMA'd both (since RAM tends to have lifetime RMA), and bam, working system.

My 3 year old board's RAM died. Board wouldn't even POST with the bad RAM in. RMA'd both (since RAM tends to have lifetime RMA), and bam, working system.

That happens too but it's easy to test for. Rarely does RAM all go bad at once. When it does it's typically the board that killed it rather than the other way around. Usually one module out of two or three will remain functional and you can test each module one at a time and see if it works.

It's possible, but I still think the OP did not do enough troubleshooting to rule out a power supply problem:

" I originally thought that my OCZ Z-Series 1000w PSU was the problem because the system would turn on by only flicking the back switch on the PSU, without pressing the power button. I contacted OCZ and they said that the behaviour my system was experiencing was not PSU-related. I tried switching my PSU to another one of my systems and sure enough, the problem ceased. It wasn't the PSU, so I thought maybe it was my computer case."

If the power supply was just starting to flake out when trying to run his high end gaming machine, then it is possible that it would power a weaker system with no issues. Just trying the power supply in another computer isn't a good test, and I don't think the OP tried to run the original system with another power supply.

The system only turning on when flicking the on/off switch on the power supply is very suspect in my opinion. OCZ then denied their PSU was the problem, but what do you expect them to say? I have never been a big fan of that company.

Power supply problems do not result in system stability issues typical of RAM or motherboard problems. When a power supply goes the system will not POST at all, shut down unexpectedly, and randomly reset. If the system is pretty much idle when it resets or shuts down then it will probably do that on any computer regardless of power draw. If it only does this when you are gaming or benchmarking the system, then the PSU test in another box wouldn't work unless the box had the same type of power draw, and was tested in the same fashion.

That happens too but it's easy to test for. Rarely does RAM all go bad at once. When it does it's typically the board that killed it rather than the other way around. Usually one module out of two or three will remain functional and you can test each module one at a time and see if it works.

Yeah, I had 4 sticks (two were the infamous BallistiX that were known to go bad, this was my second RMA of them :-\). Symptoms were exactly as he described: hitting power resulted in fan spinning for a second and system shutting down. Else it would beep until I hit the mains (Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*click* - you get the point).

I am just wondering if he's bothered testing that, since his other problems are also indicative of failing RAM - intermittent crashes, trouble with the POST, etc.

Other option is... we all postin in a troll thread.

They just RMA'd 3 different X58 boards for me that I did not have any original invoice or purchase information for...and did it all quickly without questions.

I do not feel they make good quality products, but the RMA seems great. And as a business owner, it is a risk I take to extend warranties to people, and I do so as a selling point of the product, and have the potential risk calculated into the cost. Honoring warranties outside of the time period is definitely not within the cost. It is unfair for you to come to me and ask me to lose money on something that functioned great for its original warrantied time period.

Because we've firmly established this is an MSI QA issue, right?

Exactly. Which it's not.

...OP stated that the board worked great until ~5 months outside of the warranty expiration period. To me, that's not a QA issue at all. Everything worked great during the entirety of and even after the warranty period for a while. I mean, shit, it's no secret technology advances so damn quickly in the PC world that 3 years seems like an eternity. Hell, MS released a new OS about that every often. I feel as if a three year warranty on any PC component is pretty friggin' stout as it is. I'd go out on a limb and say a majority of users here perform an overhaul upgrade typically every 2-3 years.

The alternative? Go buy a pre-made PC from the F500 manufacturers and get a base 1 year warranty (and feel damn lucky if you can actually get satisfactory support DURING that time).

Back