• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I went shopping

jstutman

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
131
So ya umm, say hello to my DDR3 setup

HSF-True
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109022&cm_re=true-_-35-109-022-_-Product

Memory- RipJaw
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

Motherboard...hint BioStar
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138193

Purchased a 4850 off the classifieds. I will be running them in CrossFire

Purchased an SSD off the classifieds
OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD

New case. NZXT Gamma (Im fed up with these fans on my Thermaltake V9)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146061

Parts from previous build
X3 720 BE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103652&cm_re=x3_720-_-19-103-652-_-Product

PP&C 750 Silencer Quad

Sapphire 4850
 
How long have you owned the PC P&C 750 Silencer Quad?

Which resolution are you using?

Does the version of the TRUE that you bought come with any fans? (I couldn't tell from the NewEgg link.)
 
christmas in july lol. have fun i did the same spent way to much, but hey only live once lol.
 
will that mobo unlock cores on your X3?

Its an unstable core, I have the Asus M4A79 Deluxe and when I unlock the core, I can boot into windows but any stress on the CPU cause BSD. However this does not stop me from trying again with this new board :)
 
@OP, nice choices except that mobo doesn't have native usb3.0 support (you can buy a card if you need it) but it seems like a good buy for the 890FX chipset. You know you didn't need 890FX for xfire though right? You can run xfire on lesser chipsets, especially for 4850's since you don't need all 16 lanes for a card of that power.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@OP, nice choices except that mobo doesn't have native usb3.0 support (you can buy a card if you need it) but it seems like a good buy for the 890FX chipset. You know you didn't need 890FX for xfire though right? You can run xfire on lesser chipsets, especially for 4850's since you don't need all 16 lanes for a card of that power.

Yeah Im willing to give up native USB 3.0 for the motherboard that holds a current world record and has many more close on there tail. IE this this will overclock like a mother.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Im willing to give up native USB 3.0 for the motherboard that holds a current world record and has many more close on there tail. IE this this will overclock like a mother.

Lol that doesn't mean much, and I sure as hell hope you didn't buy that board just because newegg says it has the world record for OC'ing. Are you planning on doing the LN2 overclocking? No? Well then any other board would have been fine for your OC to like 3.8. Just because newegg says that shit it doesn't mean its any better than any other board at oc'ing considering that number is far from anything any of us will ever see. Even further I would go as far to say avoid biostar as a manufacturer, stick with MSI/Gigabyte/Asus.
 
My choice was based on reviews, based on the fact that to get any other 890FX board would have been a much larger investment, for what USB 3.0 support? Too call Biostar is meh personally. They produced nothing but budget boards for the 700X series so yes, they have been a mute manufacturer as far as the overclocking group goes. However, they came out strong in the 800XX series. If it does indeed fail me, then I know I can easily sell this off to the many people who wish to use the board for there overclocking adventures.
 
My choice was based on reviews, based on the fact that to get any other 890FX board would have been a much larger investment, for what USB 3.0 support? Too call Biostar is meh personally. They produced nothing but budget boards for the 700X series so yes, they have been a mute manufacturer as far as the overclocking group goes. However, they came out strong in the 800XX series. If it does indeed fail me, then I know I can easily sell this off to the many people who wish to use the board for there overclocking adventures.

Oh I'm not hating on your choice, but per your above post it sounded like your only reasoning for buying it was because of that bullshit salesmanship that newegg is pulling with the "best oc'er omg". I'm sure it will be a fine board, but personally I would rather invest a few extra $$ into a company with a better reputation. AMD is all about budget boards so I don't know what you mean when you say they only produced budget boards for 700 series, so did every other manufacturer. 890FX is to me, largely a waste of money (except in this case, $140 for an 890FX is a good deal) but usually 890GX will be completely fine for 99.99% of the users who buy it (and its always cheaper).

He should return the items and buy gold, He will be able to trade the gold for food and other supplies and then trade a loaf of bread for a computer off some starving family.

Why are you even on this forum? 59 posts in 4 years... and I can't imagine any of them are any better than this. If you aren't going to contribute to the thread then don't bother posting. Fail.
 
Why are you even on this forum? 59 posts in 4 years... and I can't imagine any of them are any better than this. If you aren't going to contribute to the thread then don't bother posting. Fail.

:D

When your paying $35 for a gallon of gas and the super markerts are empty you take comfort in the fact you got almost 1700 posts in less than a year on an internet forum.
 
I wouldn't bother with the X2, I would just spend a little extra and grab a 945/955, less time wasted on trying to unlock.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with the X2, I would just spend a little extra and grab a 945/955, less time wasted on trying to unlock.

at a minimum overclocking the X3 is easy as hell and is a solid cpu. Trying to unlock it takes 5 mins so its not like he has to tinker for hours on end.:cool:
 
at a minimum overclocking the X3 is easy as hell and is a solid cpu. Trying to unlock it takes 5 mins so its not like he has to tinker for hours on end.:cool:

Its an unstable core, I have the Asus M4A79 Deluxe and when I unlock the core, I can boot into windows but any stress on the CPU cause BSD. However this does not stop me from trying again with this new board :)

He said he couldn't unlock it, just saying that buying a Phenom II X2 wouldn't be worth it. Gaining 1 core isn't a huge advantage for all the trouble it would be to find an x2 that unlocks and is stable.
 
Back
Top