I was told to ask here...

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
7,129
I would go for a 2x 1GB kit, it's not that much more expensive but it make a big difference in comfort.
 
Another vote for 2GB of RAM. Don't bother with 1GB when 2GB is so cheap! You'll probably end up regretting it later if you don't do it now!
 
doesnt look bad. unless you are partial to amd, intel seems to be the go to platform right now. mainly due to chipset limitations with audio...that wont affect you in a 2.1
 
Another vote for 2gb. RAM is so cheap now, and it's worth it anyways, 1gb is limiting.
 
2GB, and the AMD platform is just fine. They've been doing well for a while. Intels are great too though.
 
2GB
AMD is great, Intel is not any better for this case
 
2gb, can prob find a cheaper board, and intel / amd is all preferance at this point.
 
But I would ditch the crappy mobo and get an NV 8000 series board instead.
 
Yeah, ditch that board and look at the Nvidia 8200/8300 for AMD or 9300/9400 for Intel.
 
Running a 245 Regor and the US2H.

It's a good board, onboard HD4200.

And go at least 2GB.
 
^ TDW has to be 65w or less, this is a mATX system, with a 200w PSU

AM2 seems like a step backwards, especially since theres not a cpu that fits my needs available now
 
Hit up the AVS forums.

Most likely they'll recommend a Regor. US2H handles anything you throw at it pretty much.
 
^ TDW has to be 65w or less, this is a mATX system, with a 200w PSU

AM2 seems like a step backwards, especially since theres not a cpu that fits my needs available now

The first processor I linked is 65w, same as the regor.

Or go intel and get a conroe-l http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... 50001157 1051707842 1050929160&name=Conroe-L

Only 35w. I don't think AMD has anything to match it.

And a board to go with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131348
 
Last edited:
will it work with the AM3 Regor?
Yes, the asus 8200 will support the Regor and other AM3 processors, click the supported CPU tab here for confirmation: http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=ovqEgLFRjnSClhSV

You would need bios version 1102 or newer though. Which can pose a problem if the motherboard ships with an older bios...would you have a compatible CPU laying around to temporarily use for bios flashing?

I wonder if newegg or asus would know what bios they're currently shipping with (?)
 
Last edited:
the first CPU is OOS, the single core conroe im sure isnt near the same performance as the regor

Patience, they come in stock fast.

As far as performance of that CPU. It should be fine. The onboard video will handle all the 1080p content. That's why we get motherboards or discrete cards capable of HD offloading. They handle all the video while your CPU sits there twiddling it's thumbs.
 
idk about buying a single core though, general tasks might not even improve from his current Sempron 2600+
 
idk about buying a single core though, general tasks might not even improve from his current Sempron 2600+

Sorry I was under the assumption he just wanted to play 1080p video? As in a HTPC machine?

You can get the board you picked. It's just gimped but if all he will ever do in the foreseeable future is use it in a 2.1 configuration then it doesn't matter. I just hate to see people get those boards not knowing about the issues they have.
 
Sorry I was under the assumption he just wanted to play 1080p video? As in a HTPC machine?

about I'd say 70% will be movies, which some of it will be 1080p, the other 30% is internet/chatting/email

You can get the board you picked. It's just gimped but if all he will ever do in the foreseeable future is use it in a 2.1 configuration then it doesn't matter. I just hate to see people get those boards not knowing about the issues they have.

he'll keep using 2.1 for a long time, and even still the board handles 5.1 which im sure this board wont see in its lifetime
 
This doesn't sound like an HTPC. It sounds like a desktop. In that case AMD's boards will work just fine. They kind of suck for HTPCs because we demand a certain kind of feature set AMD isn't able to work up to that standard (unlike NV's 8000 series).

Which ever is fine, I would only strongly suggest the Zotac mITX 8200 board because it's super small and might make for a better system for your Dad because of that.
 
^ yeah its a desktop application with a heavy emphasizes on HD movie watching

I was just looking at the mATX form factor becuase his ASUS barebones is that way, so he just needs a new cpu/mobo/ram combo
 
Back
Top