I was thinking about a few different gpus. Please help !

Omionous11

Weaksauce
Hey guy's

I had a question about gpu's. I was reading that SLI most of the time isn't worth it and give's more trouble then anything and that one solid gpu is better then two.Even the performance gain can be very minimal to almost worse. Some of the articles were a little old so is this still true ?? I'm looking for personal experience to help me out.

I was thinking of going two 980 ti's or maybe one titan ??

Also I was thinking of going for a custom water loop. What are the best kind of cards that overclock well with water cooling ??

Thanks in advanced !

Tell us what you will be doing with this setup.

1. What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

2. What games will you be playing?

How do you expect us to make a recommendation when you tell us nothing? It's simply not possible :D

Would also be helpful if you listed your processor.

Last edited:
Tell us what you will be doing with this setup.

1. What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

2. What games will you be playing?

How do you expect us to make a recommendation when you tell us nothing? It's simply not possible :D

Would also be helpful if you listed your processor.

Fair enough :) and sorry I didn't even think of that !! I'm just a gamer and not a techy... hehe

I have a 4670k OC too 4.4GHz at the moment.
I'm definitely going duel 1440p but maybee triple at 144hz.
I play a lot of rpg's, mmorpgs, dota type games ect

Fair enough :) and sorry I didn't even think of that !! I'm just a gamer and not a techy... hehe

I have a 4670k OC too 4.4GHz at the moment.
I'm definitely going duel 1440p but maybee triple at 144hz.
I play a lot of rpg's, mmorpgs, dota type games ect

You won't see a ton of benefit with 144hz for those type of games (its more of a benefit for FPS games) At 1440p surround (3 monitors) dual 980tis should play every game on ultra right now, Titan X SLI are really only necessary for surround 4k gaming IMO.

You won't see a ton of benefit with 144hz for those type of games (its more of a benefit for FPS games) At 1440p surround (3 monitors) dual 980tis should play every game on ultra right now, Titan X SLI are really only necessary for surround 4k gaming IMO.

Ok should I stick with 60hz or is 120 good enough for what I would play ??

Get some G-Sync monitors if you can afford them to go with the Nvidia GPUs. They would give you a liquid smooth picture. The main purpose of 144Hz gaming is to overcome screen tearing by raising the refresh rate to high levels. 1440p or 4K G-Sync monitors are even better as it syncs your GPU to the monitor for a pristine, tear free picture all the time. Of course there is more to the technology, but I think that explanation is good enough.

Ask the Nvidia owners which is the best G-Sync monitor for your needs. Last I heard the Asus Swift models were the best.

If you were doing AMD GPU's you'd want the Asus FreeSync models as that is the current best FreeSync implementation. For all intensive purposes FreeSync and G-SYNC do the same thing.

Ok should I stick with 60hz or is 120 good enough for what I would play ??

The more hz the better obviously but in the end your budget is what is going to drive your decision. Right now if you want the best the ASUS ROG G-Sync is the way to go (for me its just way too damn expensive for what it does.)

I'm just a fan of the korean monitors ever since I got the one in my sig (since I can overclock it to 120hz anyway) and have been eyeballing this monitor to jump up to 4k:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AMH-A39...312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fe103458

This one can also be overclocked a bit too. I also play dota and it looks awesome in 4k on my tv but my tv is 49 inches and its just impossible to play on that size of a screen.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Get some G-Sync monitors if you can afford them to go with the Nvidia GPUs. They would give you a liquid smooth picture. The main purpose of 144Hz gaming is to overcome screen tearing by raising the refresh rate to high levels. 1440p or 4K G-Sync monitors are even better as it syncs your GPU to the monitor for a pristine, tear free picture all the time. Of course there is more to the technology, but I think that explanation is good enough.

Ask the Nvidia owners which is the best G-Sync monitor for your needs. Last I heard the Asus Swift models were the best.

If you were doing AMD GPU's you'd want the Asus FreeSync models as that is the current best FreeSync implementation. For all intensive purposes FreeSync and G-SYNC do the same thing.

Ok that's good to know !! So with g-sync monitors do they come 60-120-144 hz still ??? or that doesn't even matter because the g-sync is eliminating tearing.

The more hz the better obviously but in the end your budget is what is going to drive your decision. Right now if you want the best the ASUS ROG G-Sync is the way to go (for me its just way too damn expensive for what it does.)

I'm just a fan of the korean monitors ever since I got the one in my sig (since I can overclock it to 120hz anyway) and have been eyeballing this monitor to jump up to 4k:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AMH-A39...312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fe103458

This one can also be overclocked a bit too. I also play dota and it looks awesome in 4k on my tv but my tv is 49 inches and its just impossible to play on that size of a screen.

Wow those are both big monitors lol !! to big for my taste for the PC a least but thanks though !!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well just to be honest...You should cross Titan X off your list since theres nothing to be gained over a 980ti....and in some cases the 980ti outperforms it anyway

Yeah, a single 980ti should be fine for you. Could always add one later but I doubt you'll need it.

The monitors... I am no expert there but I love my 34" 3440x1440 samsung VA. Not quite surround but I don't do bezels. Close enough. :)

Well just to be honest...You should cross Titan X off your list since theres nothing to be gained over a 980ti....and in some cases the 980ti outperforms it anyway

I know the 980 ti and titan are close in benchmarks but I was thinking the 12gigs of vram would future proof me for a while ??

Don't lock yourself into GSync, you'll regret that decision down the road.

What's wrong with gync ??

Right now if you want the best the ASUS ROG G-Sync is the way to go (for me its just way too damn expensive for what it does.

If the 1440p 144Hz IPS Gsync monitors coming out this year actually deliver I'm willing to pay the early adopter price. Tearing is unbearable and vsync is only viable at high fps.

Don't lock yourself into GSync, you'll regret that decision down the road.

As opposed to locking yourself into Freesync? There's no guarantee nvidia will support those monitors anytime soon. Granted there's zero chance of AMD supporting Gsync so odds are slightly better.

I know the 980 ti and titan are close in benchmarks but I was thinking the 12gigs of vram would future proof me for a while ??

Titan X doesn't have the grunt to use over 6GB as a single card. Now if you're going to use two or three of them that is different.

I'd do single 980ti and OC the shit out of it. Upgrade in a year and a half with Pascal because that'll decimate a 980ti.

Titan X doesn't have the grunt to use over 6GB as a single card. Now if you're going to use two or three of them that is different.

I'd do single 980ti and OC the shit out of it. Upgrade in a year and a half with Pascal because that'll decimate a 980ti.

Good advice. 980ti is an awesome card for your needs!

OK sounds good guys !! Should I go with the Hybrid card and OC that or get something like the classified and run a Water block setup on it ??

OK sounds good guys !! Should I go with the Hybrid card and OC that or get something like the classified and run a Water block setup on it ??

Depends. If you are only water cooling your GPU, then the Hybrid wouldn't be a bad option. If you are also water cooling your CPU, then you may want to integrate it into a custom loop with your CPU and GPU. Are you going to playing any FPS games btw? A single 980ti would more than suffice on a single 1440p monitor with MMO's etc. If 3x 1440p, then a 980ti SLi setup would definitely do the trick.

Back