i want to transfer files on one computer to another

moelarry

n00b
can i do that with a internal hard drive?? or do i need the external or usb hard drives only??

First of all, you have to remove the hard drive that has the files that you want to transer. Open up the computer that you want to put the files ON, install the hard drive (make sure that the jumper is set to slave), connect the IDE cable and the molex power connector, and boot up the computer. Windows should then read the newly installed drive. Just open up windows showing the contents of both drives, and then transfer away.

i knew that but i cant be opening up that and shit.......my question is if i get the usb external hard drive can i just plug it in the usb port and take the files on this pc on the HD then transfer that to the other pc where i want the files on??

Originally posted by moelarry
i knew that but i cant be opening up that and shit.......my question is if i get the usb external hard drive can i just plug it in the usb port and take the files on this pc on the HD then transfer that to the other pc where i want the files on??

yes, to answer your question.

not the best way, but it works if that's what you want to do.

well anyway the other pc is from 1998 and has no USB ports but i can install 2 (thats what the motherboard manual says) how do i get a usb port for installation??

If you are using XP as your OS you can use the file transfer wizard located at...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools

works extremely well even if it is a Microsoft utility :p

what is a serial pc to pc file transfer cable

Make sure your new PC has a serial port, since they're almost extinct. If it doesn't, you might need a serial to usb cable (fairly sure it exists).

heres pcpitstop what it says what i have:

Class Vendor Product Error
CDROM _NEC NR-7900A
Computer ACPI Uniprocessor PC
DiskDrive ST380021A
DISPLAY NVIDIA NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
fdc Standard Floppy Disk Controller
FloppyDisk Floppy disk drive
hdc Primary IDE Channel
hdc Secondary IDE Channel
hdc Intel Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Media Creative Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)
Media Creative Creative SBLive! Gameport
Media Microsoft Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Modem Generic Generic SoftK56
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Compatible Mouse
Net Intel Intel(R) PRO/100 M Desktop Adapter
Net Microsoft Direct Parallel
Ports Communications Port (COM1)
Ports ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
System Intel Intel(R) 82850 Processor to I/O Controller - 2530
System Intel Intel Processor to AGP Controller
System Intel Intel(r) 82801BA LPC Interface Controller - 2440
System Intel Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443
System Intel Intel(R) 82801BA/CA PCI Bridge - 244E
System Microsoft Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
USB Intel Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
USB Intel Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444

com1 isnt that the serial port.....?

this is what is it for the old computer:

Class Vendor Product Error
CDROM 36X 36X CDROM DRIVE
DiskDrive GENERIC GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
DiskDrive GENERIC GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE46
DISPLAY S3 S3 ViRGE-DX/GX PCI (375/385)
fdc (Standard floppy disk controllers) Standard Floppy Disk Controller
hdc (Standard hard disk drivers) Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller
hdc (Standard hard disk drivers) Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
hdc (Standard hard disk drivers) Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
hdc Acer Labs Inc ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Keyboard (Standard keyboards) Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Media ESS Technology, Inc. ES1868 Control Interface (WDM)
Media ESS Technology, Inc. ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive (WDM)
Media Microsoft Gameport Joystick
Monitor (Standard monitor types) Plug and Play Monitor
Mouse (Standard mouse types) Standard Serial Mouse
Net Microsoft Dial-Up Adapter
Net SOHOware SOHOware 10/100 PCI Network Adapter
Ports (Standard port types) Communications Port (COM1)
Ports (Standard port types) Printer Port (LPT1)
System (Standard system devices) IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
System (Standard system devices) IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
System (Standard system devices) IRQ Holder for PCI Steering 22
System (Standard system devices) Plug and Play BIOS
System (Standard system devices) Advanced Power Management support 10
System ALi ALi M1531 CPU to PCI bridge
System ALi ALi M1533 PCI to ISA bridge

buy/make a ethernet crossover cable. Network computers - transfer files. Easy enough.

heres pcpitstop what it says what i have:
com1 isnt that the serial port.....?

It is, which means that you have a bunch of options. I'm thinking that the ethernet crossover cable that NleahciM suggested is the way to go.

I had to network two computers, one running Win XP, and one running Win 98, it was reallly easy (I'm assuming that's what you're planning on doing.) Win XP makes a network installation floppy for you (or you can use the CD I think) so that you can install the needed files on the older computer.

When I did it, I had the two computers sharing files in just under 2 minutes.

Seeing as both of those rigs have ethernet interfaces, just get a crossover cable. It's definately the easiest. $10-15 or so if you go the expensive route and get it at Besy Buy or Office Max or someplace like that.

You may or may not need some or all of this, but here goes anyway...

Open the "local netowrk connection" in your network control panel, then select tcp/ip properties. Set one machine to say 192.168.0.1 and the other to 192.168.0.2 w/ a netmask of 255.255.255.0. I'll assume the new box is .1 and the old one is .2. You'll need to put them in the same workgroup to get network neighborhood to find the other machines relatively easily. This can be annoying if you're using XP home since it defaults to "Home" (or something like that) and older versions default to "Workgroup". You'll need to create a share on the folder or drive you want to copy files from. Right click on that drive and select sharing, then make a share. At least under NT based systems each drive has a default "administrative" share, but they don't show up when browsing a machine in network neighborhood.
Worst case you just map the drive manually. Mapping a share from win9x is a bitch. (well, not that bad really but I forget the quirks. I'll assume the new rig has 2k or XP)
Go to the old machine, open My Computer, and right click on the drive you want to copy files from. Select "Sharing". Create a share or note the name of the share if one's already there. NT-based systems have a default of C$ on each drive where C is the drive letter. I forget about 9x. Then go to the new machine. Right click My Computer, select "Map Network Drive" and punch in \\192.168.0.2\C$ (where C$ is the share name). It'll prompt you for a login and password. Feed it. At this point you should have a drive mapped. If not, start fucking with it until you do.

first how much data are we talking about?
second is this something youll want to do regularly?
third is it something that needs to be done ASAP?

the network interface is horribly slow for any large transfer 10MB/s for Tbase100 (100Mb/s)
say more than 40GB

but if youll be doing it regularly, setting it up and letting it run overnight is a good idea, then its there next time you need it

if on the otherhand you neeed to transfer 160GB within a few hours because you need to make it to the LAN party....
ATA100 (burst rate 100MB/s, Sustained 50>30MB/s) is really your only option.

Also you will probably need to deal with permissions either way
To transfer via the IDE bus
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carefully install the HDD as a slave on the opposite channel to normal bootable HDD which should be on the on the Primary IDE channel (IDE0)
Verify its properly recognized in the BIOS, and that your boot order is still pointing to your old HDD (HDD0 in the boot order will be the master HDD on IDE0)
if you boot in and hang or crash change the boot order

Boot into the OS
Start > Run > (Type) Diskmgmt.msc > Verify the drive appears and is assigned a drive letter

PS You more than likely have a basic disk
dont "upgrade :rolleyes: to dynamic disks
unless you fully understand the consequences

and since the drive was originally initialized in a different XP install you will probably need to disable simple file sharing and take ownership to access your files and folders

Disable Simple File Sharing
Windows XP Professional File Sharing
Windows XP Simple File Sharing

1. Click Start then click on My Computer.

2. At the top of the My Computer window click on Tools then click on Folder Options.

3. In the Folder Options window click on the View tab.

4. Under Advanced Settings scroll down to the bottom and the last option will be “Use simple file sharing (Recommended)”. Uncheck this option.

5. Click Ok to apply settings and close this window.

6. The next time you check the properties of a folder you will see a Security tab and NTFS permissions if you are running a NTFS file system.

then > Take Ownership of a Files or Folders

XP File Sharing and Permissions
Find out which file system does what and how to use them to your advantage

once that has been done simply copy the files over ;)

If you are using EFS (encrypted file system) youll need to import the certificates to access the data

Cat5 crossover cable or physically take out HD and put in other computer, move files then take HD out.

I've been wondering this too... I'm going to network both machines together. So I made my own Crossover cable not too long ago, never really tried networking my new and old rig together yet. What I want to do is hook them together so that they both can access the internet, share files, and print through the new machine. So what would I have to do to do that? Specs in sig, the old rig is running Windows 98. Thanks in advance!

Back