I want to spend up to $1000....

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
On the most kick ass NAS box I can get for that kind of money.

I think I should be able to get at least 8GB of storage and LOTS of empty drive bays for that kind of money.

I want the best speed and data protection, so that would be.... RAID 10 ?

I want it to have all the usual remote access (securely) and server features (itunes, video, audio, etc...)

Strong Warranty, Customer Service,etc...

I also will need very good backup software. I want it to be able to handle bare-metal restores and support De-Dupe.

Hit Me!!!

Well, I'm going to assume you mean 8TB and not 8GB for a start.

Do you want best speed or best data protection? RAID 0 or 10 is kinda pointless in a home NAS, since your performance is going to be capped by the 1GB LAN connection more than the drives. The double-cost for the drives is going to hurt with your price range as well for that. Assume you do RAID 10, so you're gonna need 4 x 4TB drives to get you to 8TB available (well, you'll get 7.2TB, but close enough). So at current prices of about $140 for a 4TB NAS drive, that's $560 for drives, leaving you $440 for the box. $440 will not get you much in term of a NAS box, certainly not one with "lots of empty bays". Just for reference, a good 5 bay box will typically run $600 with no drives.

SO, on that note. Get a 5 bay Synology (Like a DS-1517+). Get 3 x 4TB WD Reds or Seagate Ironwolf drives and run them in Synology Hybrid RAID (basically RAID 5 with future expansion).

That'll give you 2 bays for future expansion, a PCIe slot if you wanna go with a 10G NIC in the future, and plenty of CPU and RAM for anything you could throw at it. Synology's OS and apps are probably the best in the business, and their warranty service and forums are great.

Synology or QNap NAS units are highly recommended with the drives of your choice.

Here is a package bundle: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3136891

Although for future expansion, you would likely want to upgrade to a 4 tray model.

That is a nice deal.

Yep, Qnap and Synology are the leaders on my list. The higher end WD's are there too. I really don't have many complaints about my Wd Ultra 2 2-bay, at least now that they have the firmware in useable form. When new it was total fart-stew in a glass.

Well, I'm going to assume you mean 8TB and not 8GB for a start.

Do you want best speed or best data protection? RAID 0 or 10 is kinda pointless in a home NAS, since your performance is going to be capped by the 1GB LAN connection more than the drives. The double-cost for the drives is going to hurt with your price range as well for that. Assume you do RAID 10, so you're gonna need 4 x 4TB drives to get you to 8TB available (well, you'll get 7.2TB, but close enough). So at current prices of about $140 for a 4TB NAS drive, that's $560 for drives, leaving you $440 for the box. $440 will not get you much in term of a NAS box, certainly not one with "lots of empty bays". Just for reference, a good 5 bay box will typically run $600 with no drives.

SO, on that note. Get a 5 bay Synology (Like a DS-1517+). Get 3 x 4TB WD Reds or Seagate Ironwolf drives and run them in Synology Hybrid RAID (basically RAID 5 with future expansion).

That'll give you 2 bays for future expansion, a PCIe slot if you wanna go with a 10G NIC in the future, and plenty of CPU and RAM for anything you could throw at it. Synology's OS and apps are probably the best in the business, and their warranty service and forums are great.

You are exactly where I'm sitting right now. 3 4TB WD 5400 Reds, and a Synology 5 Bay box.

The only decision left is..... which box. Too many fucking choices :)

Two questions answered will help,...

1. In my environment, will I ever see a difference between 8GB Ram or 2GB Ram?
2. In my environment, will I ever see a diffference amongst the various processor arrangements in this class (5 slot) of Synology boxes ?

And which box is the most appropriate for my environment ? Streaming, backup, remote access etc ?

Apple time machine must be supported.

I'm going to list all the Sun 5 bay boxes and spend some time on YT reviews of them

Tks !

Sadly, Qnap has apparently had some pretty serious price increases recently, and continuing. This, and the fact their customer support appears to pretty Asus-ish (not good), has all but taken them out of the game. Shame - awesome hardware.

You are exactly where I'm sitting right now. 3 4TB WD 5400 Reds, and a Synology 5 Bay box.

The only decision left is..... which box. Too many fucking choices :)

Two questions answered will help,...

1. In my environment, will I ever see a difference between 8GB Ram or 2GB Ram?
2. In my environment, will I ever see a diffference amongst the various processor arrangements in this class (5 slot) of Synology boxes ?

And which box is the most appropriate for my environment ? Streaming, backup, remote access etc ?

Apple time machine must be supported.

I'm going to list all the Sun 5 bay boxes and spend some time on YT reviews of them

Tks !

Sadly, Qnap has apparently had some pretty serious price increases recently, and continuing. This, and the fact their customer support appears to pretty Asus-ish (not good), has all but taken them out of the game. Shame - awesome hardware.

You probably won't ever see a difference between 2 and 8GB. Honestly, if you do, you can always upgrade later. I've had my DS-1511+ box with 1GB for 5 years now, and never needed more RAM.

I'd get the most you can possibly afford for the CPU. You won't replace NAS boxes every two years, you'll likely keep it a LONG time, so get the good stuff up front.

I'm personally a fan of Synology, since their OS is probably the most polished, and their apps are very solid. The OS is identical across their product line, so you get all the features regardless of which NAS you buy. They're a bit more expensive, but you do get your money's worth IMO.

Largely depends on how the NAS is used. CPU and RAM requirements would be based on the NAS transcoding video to stream or other such tasks. Used strictly as storage and file sharing, neither have much impact.

Pulled the trigger, and I didn't hold back :)

Went with the 1517+ with 8gb ram and three 4GB Seagate Ironwolf drives. Total was just under $1200.

Only $100 difference between the 2GB and 8GB version so....... fuck it :)

Were talking serious future proofing with this box :)

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger, and I didn't hold back :)

Went with the 1517+ with 8gb ram and three 4GB Seagate Ironwolf drives. Total was just under $1200.

Only $100 difference between the 2GB and 8GB version so....... fuck it :)

Were talking serious future proofing with this box :)

Well, congrats on the new kit..Just so you know though, you CAN upgrade the RAM in those things. It's just a couple SO-DIMMS, and you can pick up an 8GB kit for $60-70ish these days.

Well, congrats on the new kit..Just so you know though, you CAN upgrade the RAM in those things. It's just a couple SO-DIMMS, and you can pick up an 8GB kit for $60-70ish these days.

Right. I mainly went with the 8 because the 2 wasn't available :)

$100 more for 8GB is pretty worth it anyway.

Back