I want to learn php

Bluemere

n00b
I know basic html, but I have no real programming knowledge. I don't know where to start on learning php. I was hoping to get some good recommendations on some online guides/tutorials to read.

If you've got no programming background, I'd suggest hitting a local bookstore and going through their computer section. Find a book geared towards first-time programmers that uses PHP (can't name any myself, offhand). By and large, you're going to find references and specific tutorials on the net, and that's not going to help you actually program anything without the necessary background.

Do I really need to buy a book to learn php? I don't really have money to spend on programming books.

Bluemere said:
Do I really need to buy a book to learn php? I don't really have money to spend on programming books.

No you don't have to, but it would help. There are tons of online tutorials, and a large online documentation at the PHP site that includes user comments. It may be tough at first since you have no programming experience, but give it time and you will get the hang of it. PHP is pretty easy to learn :)

Books REALLY help to start out with languages because generally people put a lot of work into helping you start out. Most online tutorials I've found are targeted at people who already know a language somewhat well trying to solve specific problems.

I swear by the book PHP for Dummies...
It really helped me start out, and that's what it's meant to do. Once you get through that book you will be ready for online tutorials and more serious books. It's not super in depth, but it will teach you what you need to know to get on your pheet.

My 2 cents...

If your only going to get one, go for the O'Reilly-- I own several and all were great.

before you learn how to program in PHP, you first need to know how to program. In other words, you need to understand programming concepts, otherwise things like loops, conditionals, classes, functions, etc, etc, etc. will be totally lost on you. Learning how to do a while loop in PHP is completely different from knowing why you need to use a while loop in the first place.

So my suggestion is to also pick up a book on basic programming concepts (soory i don't have any i can recommend off hand).

I used Learn PHP in 24 hours and I thought it was great, you only have to read like first half and you get the gist of everything and it gives you basic programming knowledge (although I already had that)

Back