I want to do something, how can I do it?

I live in an apartment that gets absolutely TERRIBLE OTA reception for local channels.
So I was thinking about getting an HDTV Tuner for my PC and have it stream to my TV?

I can easily search newegg > Top products> Sort by Highest Reviews, but I'm looking moreso on tips and tricks to this kind of setup. More so, any personal experienced people giving me input on my setup. I'd really like to pick up channels like Comedy Central, ESPN, etc. But because I've done such little research (It's hard mustering enough patience to do so, on a 17.5kb/s Network.) it's hard for me to know where to look.

thanks!

Remember, any input on this subject is great!

Nice title, very descriptive.

We're gonna need more details in order to help you on this one. are you talking about tuning cable TV using a tuner, or using the computer to tune OTA signals? If its the latter then theres nothing you can do about crappy signal just by hooking an antenna up to a computer. If using cable then its definitely doable, but what channels you get depends on what the cable provider supplies in ClearQAM. if they encrypt those channels (ESPN, CC, etc) then you've got to do something else (cablecard or STB)

Sorry, I know it's very vague, I'm just not ENTIRELY sure what I want just yet. This was a very shallow thought I had last night after a friend was asking if I am going to get cable.

I guess my entire point of this topic is:

I don't have/I have no interest in getting cable
But i've got a very nice PC (And a TV tuner, if I decide to buy one.)
And I have horrible OTA reception

What would you do if you were in the SAME position?

Running the cable through your computer isnt going to change anything.

If you want more channels you have pay.

I've tried the amplified TV antennas for analog and HD, they are junk but I also live in a very populated area. If you want to try it out ill sell it to you for the price of shipping.

Running the cable through your computer isnt going to change anything.

If you want more channels you have pay.
yea, this is pretty much the bottom line.

An advantage of having a tuner card in your comp would be that you could use it as a DVR, which would save you money over getting a cableco DVR. Otherwise, you have no major options for watching live TV. You could try getting a bigger/better antenna, but if you're in an apartment then this might not be feasible.

Other than that you're stuck with something like Hulu or watching tv streamed from sites of questionable legality.

A TV tuner is used to get TV on your computer. But you need a signal in order to do so. In some localities, TV stations broadcast their signals "over the air" using the ATSC standard (note: not all TV tuner cards support this standard, but the major ones do). You can only receiver the stations that are broadcast over the air in your area, and this depends, as you well know, on reception. You can improve reception by getting a larger antenna, but still, you will only receiver the stations being broadcast in your area, which are mostly the local network affiliates (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, UPN, etc). Sometimes you can get religious programming or foreign language programming, again depending on what is bring broadcast in your area. To my knowledge, ESPN, and Comedy Central do not broadcast over the air, so you will not be able to receive these channels using this method.

Besides ATSC, there are other ways to transmit television signals, the most famous being cable, along with satellite and the Verizon specific fios. But these are all subscription based services. You need to pay in order to receive these signals. The TV tuner cannot tap into these signals, unless you are receiving them at your apartment in the first place. The TV tuner cannot be used to steal cable. That said, even if you do have one of these services, most TV tuners can only accept those channels trasmitted "in the clear", using the clearQAM standard. Cable companies often encrypt premium channels, and some even the basic channels. In order to decode encrypted channels on your computer, you need to a) have a TV tuner that accepts CableCards (only 2 of those really exist currently) b) you need to pay for the services, and rent a cable card from the provider. On top of all this, I must say, unfortunately, I don't know of any cable companies that offer an a la carte service, so you cannot just subscribe to one or two of your favorite channels. You can only buy packages that often have hundreds of channels you'll never watch.

Finally, the only other option is to get the content from legitimate online venues. I'm not sure what shows you are interested in. I know some Comedy Central content is available streaming on their website and possibly Hulu for free. Also, Amazon, and iTunes, and probably a few other stores sell episodes online. None of these services require a TV tuner though.

So a TV tuner can only help you see on your computer what you are already able to receive in the first place in terms of Over the Air digital (or analog, which was mostly shut off last year) or cable in the clear or paired with a cablecard (often depending on your subscription).

This should work. You can get them at Frys.
larrys_dream1168308000p1070284.jpg

Actually after thinking, my question is what can this TV tuner provide for me if I don't/have no interest in purchasing a Cable subscription?

Nothing, but crappy OTA.. The tuner isnt going to get you anything you dont pay for from your cable co. If you want a completely no monthly cost option then you need to do something to improve your OTA.. also have you checked antennaweb to see what kind of recommended antenna you need.

OP, going back to your original problem of "terrible OTA reception"...what kind of antenna are you using?

Sometimes it takes creative placement of the antenna, which i hope you've tried already. Other times it takes using a better antenna and NOT another tuner.

If you are not too close to the reception towers, then an amplified indoor antenna can work wonders, and offer you more channels than you were able to get. The Quantum ANT-102, which was compared here, is one of the best indoor ones, it's also remote controlled.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
OP, going back to your original problem of "terrible OTA reception"...what kind of antenna are you using?

Sometimes it takes creative placement of the antenna, which i hope you've tried already. Other times it takes using a better antenna and NOT another tuner.

If you are not too close to the reception towers, then an amplified indoor antenna can work wonders, and offer you more channels than you were able to get. The Quantum ANT-102, which was compared here, is one of the best indoor ones, it's also remote controlled.

Bah.. how bout some education 1st before recomending a product that may or may not work.
Rather then just randomly trying shit use this. When you follow it through it will get you what type of antenna your going to need with a list as not all channels will be the same. Sometimes its as simple as a small directional antenna that can go indoors where a large 200 dollar omni directional indoor antenna wont get you shit. Oh & that website even shows you the broadcast locations for your channels. & Gives you a directional heading so your not shooting blind.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bah.. how bout some education 1st before recomending a product that may or may not work.
Rather then just randomly trying shit use this. When you follow it through it will get you what type of antenna your going to need with a list as not all channels will be the same. Sometimes its as simple as a small directional antenna that can go indoors where a large 200 dollar omni directional indoor antenna wont get you shit. Oh & that website even shows you the broadcast locations for your channels. & Gives you a directional heading so your not shooting blind.
Hehe, ya, i normally i try to promote people doing their own research etc etc.

But now that you're on the subject, i hear everyone is turning away from AntennaWeb for whatever reason(s) and using TV Fool instead. Couldn't hurt to use both though, this way the OP is further assured of getting the right antenna for his location. But since he lives in an apartment his pickings are going to be slim, hence my $25 amplified indoor antenna recommendation, but like you said amplified might be overkill, or counterproductive.

Hehe, ya, i normally i try to promote people doing their own research etc etc.

But now that you're on the subject, i hear everyone is turning away from AntennaWeb for whatever reason(s) and using TV Fool instead. Couldn't hurt to use both though, this way the OP is further assured of getting the right antenna for his location. But since he lives in an apartment his pickings are going to be slim, hence my $25 amplified indoor antenna recommendation, but like you said amplified might be overkill, or counterproductive.

I had never tried that TVFool before. But after trying it I will stick to antennaweb. TVFool gives me a whole bunch of garbage that means nothing & its only antenna types are indoor or outdoor. Nothing about directional or amplified. Also it would not find my address (which I have to move the little house on antennaweb since I am in a new Sub)

ESPN 3 is getting better and better content.... Hulu and Netflix are both great but if you have a slow network, no cable and bad OTA reception.....

you are SOL

Actually after thinking, my question is what can this TV tuner provide for me if I don't/have no interest in purchasing a Cable subscription?

The same crappy OTA channels you have now.

This isn't the 90's, it's not a descrambler.

I have a Terk Antennae of which is placed on top of my entertainment cabinet, the highest place I could put it within the cords length.

I've read everyone's suggestions and appreciate everyone's input, but I have one last question :

Is there a site/place online that I can watch live Football games on?
I realized after looking through many forum searches, google, etc.
I just want a way to watch football with my buddies on Sunday.

Any input? Or am I SOL?

live? no. nflnetwork for replays after the game. if OTA isn't cutting it, and you dont want a cable subscription, you're SOL

Back