I want to become Network+ certified...

Lyquist

2[H]4U
I have decided that I want to become Network+ certified. I already have my A+ and MCSE and CCNA, but I need some suggestions as to a book or testing materials that I can buy from Amazon.com. I would like to buy a book pretty soon. Can someone recommend something? Thanks in advance.

EDIT
Wait a minute - you already have your CCNA and you are now taking the Network+? Just go take the test, it's very similar without all the Cisco stuff.
EDIT

I have already passed my Network+ materials to a friend so I can't help there but....

Know your cable types, the OSI model, subnetting, be able to look at the practice tests to get an idea of what the diagram questions will look like and what kind of answers they are looking for. Broadcast and collision questions showed up 2 or 3 times on my test late last year.

All I can think of off the top of my head.

Can anyone recommend a book from Amazon? My CCNA is old and has actually expired to be honest, althouhg I remember a little about it.

I read some reviews and bought a couple of books off of Amazon. Thanks everybody for your help. I'm sure I'll pass the exam. I have never failed a certification exam yet:)

Be careful, Amazon tends to carry multiple versions of some books. Make sure you are getting the newest one.

I think I bought the latest versions...if not I'll just buy some more. I'm sure I'll learn some interesting things in whatever books I end up getting. I'm not really worried about it to be honest.

If you can pass Cisco stuff, the Network+ will be like a 2nd grade test to you.

I personally used CramSession study guides. Make up some fake information to get to the downloads, obviously use a disposable email address.
Just printed the whole thing out. The first time through, I read it pretty well through. If there is an important concept or fact that I don't remember easily, or I think may be on the test, I highlight it.
If it's something I already know (127.0.0.1 is loopback, for an easy example), I don't bother with highlighting it.

That way from then on in the future, all you have to look at is what you have highlighted.
Saves alot of time vs. looking over all the filler info.

I enjoyed the Train Signal training materials -- the videos were a different method than books, pretty bloody easy to do.

TestOut makes good training software. Available at your nearest torrent/usenet site. :)

I took the Network+ test the first week it was out of beta. (to date mine). It was very basic networking. If you passed the ccna, you shouldn't have a problem with the network+

I realize that the Network+ will probably be pretty easy for me based on what I already have, but I just wanted to a get a new certification and I couldn't think of anything else to get at this time.

I would suggest you start playing with SQL Server & head that direction.. or move up the cisco ladder..

I don't have any cleints yet with SQL...but I may start doing that anyway eventually.

maybe the reason you don't have the clients is because you're not certified? :D

no, but seriously. certs take a few years to 'mature' before they start to payback the time & money invested in them.

If you get some tough certs now, then in 5 years time you will be in a much stronger position than someone more recently certified.

maybe the reason you don't have the clients is because you're not certified? :D

no, but seriously. certs take a few years to 'mature' before they start to payback the time & money invested in them.

If you get some tough certs now, then in 5 years time you will be in a much stronger position than someone more recently certified.

I just haven't seen anyone using SQL yet to be honest. I'm the only MCSE in my area that advertises that fact in his ad, I'm really going after the business market. I'll let my techs deal with the home users to be honest.

Mike Myers All in One was good for Network+. I did it before the most recent revision though. I think the current version of the book is 3, but check up on that.

I don't remember exactly what books I bought. I just read some customers reviews and they both got great reviews. I just want to have another reference point for networking. My Small Business SErver 2003 book doesn't go into networking that much, and I've lost all my old networking books that I used to have. I lost them in a move. That really sucks, because I invested alot of money in getting my MCSE....between books, transenders, and tests. Took me a little over a year from start to finish. All I had was my A+ before I started on my MCSE and I had alot to learn. I even setup a small network in my apartment with a server to get some hands on training with it. The only certification that I took a class for was my CCNA, but that class was a total joke and almost a complete waste of my companies money. The best thing I got out of that class was a better understanding of IP addressing, which I've mostly forgotten by now. Most of the networks I see are just small LAN's to be honest. I could handle more, but there just aren't alot of big businesses in my area, and of the ones that exist, they have their own full-=time IT staff.

All I had was my A+ before I started on my MCSE and I had alot to learn. I even setup a small network in my apartment with a server to get some hands on training with it. The only certification that I took a class for was my CCNA, but that class was a total joke and almost a complete waste of my companies money. The best thing I got out of that class was a better understanding of IP addressing, which I've mostly forgotten by now. .

I'm a bit confused. You have your MCSE and you work on networks, but you don't have an understanding of IP addrssing.:confused:

Back