I want my C7 laptop, dangit!

SpasticTeapot

Limp Gawd
I'm the proud owner of an IBM Thinkpad X40.

To put it bluntly, the exact same functionality (and linux compatibility - go via!) could be produced with one CPU (ULV Via C7) and a single-IC chipset. As a result, it would be much cheaper (far less parts - and they're cheaper, too!) and use less power.

So why can't we get C7-based laptops?

I'm the proud owner of an IBM Thinkpad X40.

To put it bluntly, the exact same functionality (and linux compatibility - go via!) could be produced with one CPU (ULV Via C7) and a single-IC chipset. As a result, it would be much cheaper (far less parts - and they're cheaper, too!) and use less power.

So why can't we get C7-based laptops?
BLASPHEMER!

You shirk the honor of owning a ThinkPad! :eek: You should be punished!

Send it my way. :p

BLASPHEMER!

You shirk the honor of owning a ThinkPad! :eek: You should be punished!

Send it my way. :p

My ThinkPad is @#$@#4ing awesome. However, I would like it even more if it were thinner, lighter, cheaper, and had better battery life - all possibilities with the C7-ULV. It's currently only used in "UMPCs" - they commonly have six-plus hour battery life, and with a larger still battery and 12" LCD, the result could be the thinnest and lightest thinkpad ever.

No,sgraff. thats a umpc. he wants a laptop. my questions is why? the performance hit from using a C7 probably takes away from any energy savings (i.e. longer time to load things)

No,sgraff. thats a umpc. he wants a laptop. my questions is why? the performance hit from using a C7 probably takes away from any energy savings (i.e. longer time to load things)

I use a 1ghz Pentium M in my laptop. It's plenty fast for me.

A C7D would rock, especially if it was combined with Via's low-power chipsets and an LED-based screen.

And a solid state hard drive :)

Yes, power consumption would be lower, it would be smaller, and much quieter, but at this point a solid state would drive the prices up. Maybe in a few years.

I have a VIA C7 desktop. Its decent for e-mail, web browsing, etc. It can't handle anything too extreme, but it is dead silent and tiny.

A C7 notebook would be amazing.

A C7 notebook would be amazing.

I don't know about that. A C7 sub-notebook would be amazing. The via notebooks out right now are just underpowered and too big. Step up to a 14 inch notebook and you should just get a low voltage pentium m.

I want a wide screen 12 inch notebook or a convertable tablet that is either 10 or 12 inches at a good price with good battery life. That would be insane.

I don't know about that. A C7 sub-notebook would be amazing. The via notebooks out right now are just underpowered and too big. Step up to a 14 inch notebook and you should just get a low voltage pentium m.

I want a wide screen 12 inch notebook or a convertable tablet that is either 10 or 12 inches at a good price with good battery life. That would be insane.

That is more what I was getting at, so yes, I agree. Very much so.

That is more what I was getting at, so yes, I agree. Very much so.

Ok that makes more sence.

Yea if I could get a 10 or 12 inch one with great battery life for like 7 or 800 bucks I would be all for it. Anymore then that and I would go with a ultra low voltage intel core or something.

Ok that makes more sence.

Yea if I could get a 10 or 12 inch one with great battery life for like 7 or 800 bucks I would be all for it. Anymore then that and I would go with a ultra low voltage intel core or something.

You have to consider, though, that Via's chipsets are very simple. Simple chipsets = small boards = smaller laptops.

Also, the power use is far lower than Intel's best.

You have to consider, though, that Via's chipsets are very simple. Simple chipsets = small boards = smaller laptops.

Also, the power use is far lower than Intel's best.

In theory yes smaller notebooks. Thing is that they haven't been making them. The one that people have mentioned from walmart made by Everex is a 15.4 inch widescreen. You look at VIAs site and you see a few the smallest notebook as a 14 inch widescreen. I want something smaller.

In theory yes smaller notebooks. Think is thye haven't been making them. The one that people have mentioned from walmart made by Everex is a 15.4 inch widescreen. You look at VIAs site and you see a few the smallest notebook as a 14 inch widescreen. I want somethign smaller.

Sounds good to me!

I would looooove a VIA-powered tablet. I think an 11" screen would be perfect, with a C7, 1.8" HDD, no CD/DVD, and a decent battery. With no extra devices, a small screen, and a high-efficiency CPU, I could easily see 8+ hours of battery life!

Yummy...

I would looooove a VIA-powered tablet. I think an 11" screen would be perfect, with a C7, 1.8" HDD, no CD/DVD, and a decent battery. With no extra devices, a small screen, and a high-efficiency CPU, I could easily see 8+ hours of battery life!

Yummy...

A widescreen 11 inch would be very nice. Have built in wireless, bluetooth, usb and gigabit ethernet. Give me a expansion slot too. I would also like a finger print reader.

Yea something like this for a good price would be nice. I'm sorry though once you hit over 1300 or so I would just go with a gateway 14 inch widescreen tablet that is much more powerful and will get 6 hours with the expanded battery.

Smallest screen size I could agree to is 13" widescreen, you see, I have lazy eyes and fat fingers. T40 is 14" yet it's slim and light (I think it weighs similar to MSI's 12" S2xx series) so I don't see screen estate as a sole measure of portability. I'd be satisfied with a 13-14" laptop as long as it's slim and looks good.

Back