I want a new Case

Jarod888

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
3,147
I currently have a Thermaltake Armor, the big one, VA8000BWS Black with the side window and all. I like the case except for the fact that i want my harddrives to go across the front of the case instead of lengthwise. I also want a case that is easier for cable management.

I really like the look of the Silverstone TJ07 (SST-TJ07W ) in black with a window. It is quite expensive and I want to make sure that it is a good case. Noise is really not an issue, I have 4 fans AeroCool XtremeTurbine-Black 120mm running at 89 cfm and a 92mm fan running at 50 cfm.

A couple of other questions, are the fans that come with the tj07 good or are my aero cool ones better? I want the most amount of air flow I can get.
Is the upgrade worth it. I woupld probably sell my armor, or I may keep it and use it for another computer later. Are there any special things that I should know? ie tips, tricks, other good ideas when building with this case.

On other thing, I currently have 2 dvd burners, each using 1 IDE slot on my a8n32 sli, and 2 250 gig hd's as slaves on the respective IDE channels. I have 2 400 gig sata drives and a raptor 150 I want to keep this current set up, I might upgrade the size of the ide drives to 320, but that isn't that likely. will the tj07 accomodate this set up with out much modification?
 
I have a TJ07.

The cable management is a little tricky. YOu'll need 90 degree sata connectors for the drives because the case doors will snap them because they put pressure on the connectors.

The fans in the TJ07 can be found more detail in the review I wrote here.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t420115.html

The case now looks like this.

The problem with the HDD cages is you have to take of BOTH doors to get them out.

Plus you have to disconnect three drives to get them out compared to the lian-li v2000/1000 mounting scheme where you have 1 drive operation/swapping. The lian-li method is MUCH superior.

Plus the TJ07 like you say is very expensive and heavy, plus no wheels.

The doors are tricky to re-seat because it's bare aluminum against bare aluminum which has caused a few door flanges to break off my TJ07,

You'd be much better suited with another choice than the TJ07 imo.

Here's a pic of my current setup.

|

The TJ07 gets a little too much hype imo.

I reworked the airflow from front --> back.

The stock airflow is back --> top.

Check out this case I think you'll find it better thought-out.

I'm not really a fan of the v1000 and all the plus bs they added on. See if you can find a v1000 without and plus business.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112057

I think you'll find their HDD and wire management superior to the SS solutions.

Plus it seems that case manuf. are forgetting the good parts of their previous designs and then coming up with a new idea that is better in a certain area but not better in certain areas of the previous case.

Such is the SS TJ line imo.

Best of luck with your endavours.
 
having the hard drives accros the front will make cable management harder sepecially with IDE drives. cable management should b pretty easiy in an armor, i dont have one but my friend does, there dont appear to be any obsticals that would make it hard.
 
I will consider the other case. thanks for the advise. I may even stick with what I have.
 
Another vote for V1000/V2000 here if you can afford it.

I like the side fan in the plusII, but I removed the CPU shroud since it's in my server, which is dual-processor and the shroud wouldn't exactly be of any use due to location of the processors on the board.

To me the case is attractive in a different way from my wavemaster; it's simple and effective. It can hold all the hard drives I need it to, and they're easy to add/remove. Depending on motherboard orientation it might be a stretch for your IDE drives to reach, though.
 
I have a TJ07 and love it. The airflow is fine because I am not a cooling fanatic. I did not have any problems with it and amazingly I used this case as my first ever build. The only thing I recommend is getting right angled SATA connectors because as mentioned before a regular one will not do. But I knew this going into buying it so I just ordered those and had no problem. Now that I think about it, I do recommend getting casters like me. And don't get the crappy stock window they offer, it is ugly. Get the windowed version of the case from www.performance-pcs.com. They offer a full window that goes the length of the whole bottom mesh thing, instead of just 3/4 of it. They also offer casters as an option on the case. The casters may be a little expensive but it is worth it. If you need any help with the TJ07 or anything related to buying it, building with it, etc., just pm me and I will be glad to help you out.
 
I may definately think about the custom version from ppcs. I like the longer window.
 
I looked at the Lian Li V1000/V2000 I don't really care for wheels, and the 2000 is too tall for my desk.

I think I will get a tj07 black with out the side window. I want to do a custom window and I am looking for designs that would look nice. I dont think I want a square or rectangle, I was thinking possibly an oval or circle. What are your opinions and what is the easiest way to make a side window for your case?

does any one know of a website that has pictures of modded side panels? I will probably fire up sketchup and draw out a design.

Thanks in advance for the help!
 
Back
Top