I want a mac.

Right you are! PC makers have yet to come close to the smoothness of those touchpads. I nearly bought a mac earlier this year for the trackpad alone.

On the other end of the input tandem, the business class ThinkPads seem to have the best keyboards according to legend, I've had a couple and they are great.

Last edited:
On the other of the input tandem, the business class ThinkPads seem to have the best keyboards according to legend, I've had a couple and they are great.
Can't argue that one either. I've tested a couple old thinkpads and LOVED the way that keyboard felt.

If you get a mac, i recommend using VMWARE Fusion instead of Parallels, it's very stable and works much better IMHO

Moving offices, found a G4 733mhz with OS 9.2 -- which begs the question who in their right mind would want a Mac?

Moving offices, found a G4 733mhz with OS 9.2 -- which begs the question who in their right mind would want a Mac?

Macs aren't for me, to limiting for a full function desktop platform, but they do have their advantages. Apple's build quality is superior overall compared to the average retail OEM device, OS X is targeted very little by malware developers and OS X does have some niceties missing from out of the box Windows like Expose and Time Machine. The stability, robustness and security of OS X and Windows 7 are roughly equal, I'd give the edge to Windows because it works officially with so much more hardware but it also has a FAR larger problem with malware.

Is that a troll-bait, rhetorical question or are you seriously asking who wants a mac? Cuz if you want to send it to me I'll take it.

I was not a fan of macs of that era. only over the past 5 years have they grown on me enough to the point of wanting to buy one.

Moving offices, found a Thunderbird Duron 800mhz with Windows 98 -- which begs the question who in their right mind would want a PC?

Which is funny because Apple was collapsing around the time of Windows 98 because of the PC.

The point is, looking at hardware from a decade ago isn't relevant to any purchase you would do now. Apple's failures while Steve Jobs was ousted was mostly due to lack of direction by top management. The operating system 'in-and-of-itself' wasn't the culprit, it was just a symptom.

I could have went for further satire and asked why anyone would want a Tandy w/ a 486 running Dos 4.2.2. No one is buying that new or using it for any serious work, so who cares?

The point is, looking at hardware from a decade ago isn't relevant to any purchase you would do now. Apple's failures while Steve Jobs was ousted was mostly due to lack of direction by top management. The operating system 'in-and-of-itself' wasn't the culprit, it was just a symptom.

I could have went for further satire and asked why anyone would want a Tandy w/ a 486 running Dos 4.2.2. No one is buying that new or using it for any serious work, so who cares?

I was just pointing out the irony of what you said, nothing more.

I had a dying 13" mb pro and an Asus G74 so decided to install lion on the g74. It runs like a charm! What can I say - cheaper than the cheapest mb pro and more powerful than the most powerful mb pro.

i want to switch to mac too...mainly because I just can find a good pc laptop i like..d...

I've been using MacBook Pro laptops at work for years and absolutely love them. Each generation gets slightly better in terms of usability, performance and looks. I'm a very long time PC user/builder and not a Mac only person, but I can tell you, the MacOS works great and in many ways better than Win7, which I have running on 4 PCs at home. The MacBook Pro hardware is also very nice. You can buy PC laptops for cheaper, but not a lot cheaper once you try and get the same class of components - my MacBook Pro for example has a Core i7 2.8GHz 4-core processor, 8GB of DDR3 mem, and a very fast 250GB SSD drive. It also comes with a great trackpad as others have mentioned, and a very good LCD. But I'm sticking to a PC for home use since I can keep upgrading it and it costs less to do that than to buy new computers.

Some people mentioned issues with Parallels Desktop on Mac. Parallels runs fine on my MacBook Pro. I run Win 7 at the same time as MacOS Lion, and have Mac and PC apps open at the same time.

I've been using MacBook Pro laptops at work for years and absolutely love them. Each generation gets slightly better in terms of usability, performance and looks. I'm a very long time PC user/builder and not a Mac only person, but I can tell you, the MacOS works great and in many ways better than Win7, which I have running on 4 PCs at home. The MacBook Pro hardware is also very nice. You can buy PC laptops for cheaper, but not a lot cheaper once you try and get the same class of components - my MacBook Pro for example has a Core i7 2.8GHz 4-core processor, 8GB of DDR3 mem, and a very fast 250GB SSD drive. It also comes with a great trackpad as others have mentioned, and a very good LCD. But I'm sticking to a PC for home use since I can keep upgrading it and it costs less to do that than to buy new computers.

Some people mentioned issues with Parallels Desktop on Mac. Parallels runs fine on my MacBook Pro. I run Win 7 at the same time as MacOS Lion, and have Mac and PC apps open at the same time.

If I didn't know better I would have sworn that I wrote that. Well said.

Hey if you're so hot to switch to a mac i'll sell you my imac! Specs in sig.

Im not an Apple fan boy , or a hater .
But a mac pc just doesn't speak to me much.
Sure its easier for a lot of people , but Im a power user.
I like their uni body construction which is perfect in my opinion (except the sharp edges).
And thats it !
I dont like their : non removable battery , non serviceable parts , displays (13inch) , their GPU (13inch) , stupid illuminated apple logo on the back (they should provide an option to turn it off) , their inability for a 2nd hdd (17inch), non quadro graphics option or fireGL , Customer service (in belgium) , warranty duration , heat issues on all MBP , same design for 2 years , no option for a 3G or 4G PCI card and last but definitely not least : their price !
Give me a Thinkpad anyday...
PS : I do have an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 which are great... but im impressed by those new android ICS

I might pick up a MBA for portability in the future. Waiting to see if it'll get any hardware updates this year. Ideally I'd love a gaming laptop but there's nothing out there that's truly "portable" with the right hardware. I'm talking about an M11x that's slimmed down with beefier hardware (aka updated GPUs and CPUs) :(

OTH, Mac being linux based does make developing A LOT easier sometimes if not only for terminal :p

I stick to virtualbox on my 5 year old macbook. the 2.2GHz core2, 4GB ram, and 160GB SSD seem to keep things moving pretty smoothly at work.

Im not an Apple fan boy , or a hater .
But a mac pc just doesn't speak to me much.
Sure its easier for a lot of people , but Im a power user.
I like their uni body construction which is perfect in my opinion (except the sharp edges).
And thats it !
I dont like their : 1non removable battery , 2non serviceable parts , 3displays (13inch) , their GPU 4 (13inch) , stupid illuminated apple logo on the back (they should provide an option to turn it off5) , their inability for a 2nd hdd (17inch), non quadro graphics option or fireGL , Customer service (in belgium) , warranty duration , heat issues on all MBP , same design for 2 years , no option for a 3G or 4G PCI card and last but definitely not least : their price !
Give me a Thinkpad anyday...
PS : I do have an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 which are great... but im impressed by those new android ICS
1 That was done to waste less space, which is a premium in laptops
2 Uhm, it's a laptop? there's almost nothing serviceable in a laptop
3 you don't like 13" laptops?
4 agreed - HD3k FTL. Bring back the days of nvidia chipsets (wait, that doesn't work with sandy) and the 330m (it's faster than the HD3k by a mile or so)
5 that would require adding an LCD shutter, it's just a hole in the backlight shield

1 That was done to waste less space, which is a premium in laptops
This is also the result of making assumptions about batteries. The generic belief is that batteries clearly and always fail and have no longevity, therefore the ability to replace the battery is critical. Replacing the battery is as natural as cleaning the lint filter in the dryer after ever load....

...except it's 2012 and that stopped being relevant a long time ago. Apple has been selling laptops (and mobile devices in general) with newer tech batteries that don't have the life span brevity of batteries from 10 years ago. They have effectively made the battery something the user doesn't need to care about. Hurray!

No wait, I mean OH NOES MY FREEDOM!! (?)

And a quick FYI, the battery in a MacBook Pro, despite Apple's words, is an easily removable and replaceable thing. The only trick is actually getting a battery, and dealing with any warranty reprecussions.. tho if you have a bad battery and it's under warranty, let the Apple Store deal with it. Not your job.

Batteries aren't covered under AppleCare I'm fairly sure.

They are if they are defective. They are supposed to last many years. If your battery stops holding a decent charge while under warranty or Applecare, the Genius Bar tech will replace it as defective.

Also, sometimes Apple issues notices about defective batteries and replaces them for free. I had the battery on my 2006 MBP replaced twice for free (long out of warranty the second time) because Apple recalled them.

My GF got a brand new 6-gen Nano because the battery in her 1st-gen Nano was claimed to catch fire. She never had a problem with hers, but still got a brand new replacement.

They are if they are defective. They are supposed to last many years. If your battery stops holding a decent charge while under warranty or Applecare, the Genius Bar tech will replace it as defective.

Also, sometimes Apple issues notices about defective batteries and replaces them for free. I had the battery on my 2006 MBP replaced twice for free (long out of warranty the second time) because Apple recalled them.

I didn't realize you were referring to defective parts..

My GF got a brand new 6-gen Nano because the battery in her 1st-gen Nano was claimed to catch fire. She never had a problem with hers, but still got a brand new replacement.

..recalls don't count as being replaced under AppleCare.

runnin the mac/windows parrallels have gotten much much better since mac is starting to be main stream computer now and tring to get the pc users to switch as well

Pretty happy with my 11" MBA, though the bezel around the screen is ridiculous. Thing is like an inch+ wide, looks like something off a 90s ThinkPad, really pisses me off when I compare it to usable screen size on Ultrabooks, and I do wish there was a higher resolution option. 1366x768 is some bullshit.

Build quality is excellent and it's pretty usable under Windows, though I do wish there was a dedicated delete key, not just backspace and the option to use FN+backspace for delete. I do love the trackpad, for browsing and normal use it's as nice as a mouse if not better, but for gaming I still carry around a Lachesis. I do wish there were options for a little more GPU power, but the i5's integrated GPU isn't anywhere near as bad as Intel's previous offerings. Worlds better than the X3000 I was having to suffer through with my previous ULV C2D machine. At least things like Halflife 2 and League of Legends are options and low to medium settings, native resolution.

I do wish the battery lasted a bit longer and was user replaceable (I shudder to think what Apple will charge when the time comes, $120+?) but for the size of the machine it's pretty good. Definitely less display and chassis flex than the other Ultrabooks I played with. Don't like that they solder the RAM on the board either, I'd love the option to go up to 8GB of RAM, but 4GB is enough in most cases.

All in all I might've been happier with some of the Ultrabooks, the option for more GPU power or more RAM, maybe longer batter runtime, but considering how long I'll probably keep the thing I was swayed by build quality. The unibody setup is solid, and from what I've seen Apple's warranty support is fairly trouble-free. I've had ASUS laptops in the past and had serious issues with their RMA system and employees so I wanted to avoid all that.

Pretty happy with my 11" MBA, though the bezel around the screen is ridiculous. Thing is like an inch+ wide, looks like something off a 90s ThinkPad, really pisses me off when I compare it to usable screen size on Ultrabooks, and I do wish there was a higher resolution option. 1366x768 is some bullshit.

Build quality is excellent and it's pretty usable under Windows, though I do wish there was a dedicated delete key, not just backspace and the option to use FN+backspace for delete. I do love the trackpad, for browsing and normal use it's as nice as a mouse if not better, but for gaming I still carry around a Lachesis. I do wish there were options for a little more GPU power, but the i5's integrated GPU isn't anywhere near as bad as Intel's previous offerings. Worlds better than the X3000 I was having to suffer through with my previous ULV C2D machine. At least things like Halflife 2 and League of Legends are options and low to medium settings, native resolution.

I do wish the battery lasted a bit longer and was user replaceable (I shudder to think what Apple will charge when the time comes, $120+?) but for the size of the machine it's pretty good. Definitely less display and chassis flex than the other Ultrabooks I played with. Don't like that they solder the RAM on the board either, I'd love the option to go up to 8GB of RAM, but 4GB is enough in most cases.

All in all I might've been happier with some of the Ultrabooks, the option for more GPU power or more RAM, maybe longer batter runtime, but considering how long I'll probably keep the thing I was swayed by build quality. The unibody setup is solid, and from what I've seen Apple's warranty support is fairly trouble-free. I've had ASUS laptops in the past and had serious issues with their RMA system and employees so I wanted to avoid all that.

Sounds like you should have gotten the 13" MBA.

Sounds like you should have gotten the 13" MBA.

Wanted it to be small, and the bezel issue is the same with the 13". GPU's the same as well. So which of the issues I described would've been any better? Apart from battery life, which I expressed mild disappointment with, but it's not that big an issue.

silent-circuit, what do you see as your average battery life (and type of usage)?
Time to stop carrying around the 13" Dell (5+lbs) and want something extremely portable and the 11" MBA seems perfect.

Back