I upgraded O&O to the latest version.

mosin

[H]ardForum Junkie
Some of you may be using O&O Defrag Version 4.0, so I thought I would pass along my impressions of the current version, Version 6.5.

As some know, I am very hesitant to upgrade most of the software on my machine because I am cheap, and also because I have everything running the way I like it. Additionally, I hate bloat in any form or fashion, and have been known to rant endlessly about it. I often move back to a previous version of whatever software with much bitching and ranting about useless new features that do little more than slow down the program in question, and take up space. Nonetheless, I decided to upgrade my O&O from V.4.0.

WOW!

The program is far quicker and more effective. Now it also adds the option to use an online server to assist in defragmenting sensitive files. "Complete support of new Windows XP functions (Layout.ini) and online defragmentation of important system files such as the MFT (Master File Table)." I was skeptical, but it works great. Now, boot time defragmentation time is far less due to the fact that the program handles many more files without the need for a defrag at boot. I'm not sure how, but whatever, it works. A new method of defragmentation called "modified" has been added. It is an ingenious variation on the old "access" method which is still an option. O&O is smarter, too. "Defrag automatically detects the right time for the next defragmentation with the help of heuristic methods." All in all, this is one of those upgrades that is well worth the $29.95 upgrade price.

For those who don't use O&O, it is "must have software" that is worth every penny.
O&O Professional Defrag V. 6.5

I ahve heard of this program but never actually used it. I ahve actually heard about alot of defraggin utilities but what makes them better then the opne built into windows? Do they do a betetr job and give you better peformance or are they faster or what? What makes them beter then the built in one?

KoolDrew said:
I ahve heard of this program but never actually used it. I ahve actually heard about alot of defraggin utilities but what makes them better then the opne built into windows? Do they do a betetr job and give you better peformance or are they faster or what? What makes them beter then the built in one?
let me give you an analogy

O&O Defragger is to the Windows Defragger as a Flamethrower is to a Water Pistol

KoolDrew said:
I have heard of this program but never actually used it. I have actually heard about a lot of defraggin utilities but what makes them better then the open built into windows? Do they do a better job and give you better performance or are they faster or what? What makes them better then the built in one?

First please use a spell checker. Spelling was never my forte in school. Which is why I use a spell checker with FF and Opera and Word as a back up.

The built in Windows Defrag program is a very lite version of Diskeeper. While the full version of Diskeeper is good and has many features it does lack some of the options that are in O&O. Some of the options are how you want to defrag your hhd.

Yeah Maybe I'll try this program again. However I ran it once and it was taking an extremely long time to defragment(like 6+ hours) for some very complete defrag method, i forgot which option it was. I think I let it finish and then decided not to use it again and I think I ended up getting a bluescreen as a result. Might have had to run chkdsk to fix it or format or something, can't remember. I haven't tried it since then though. I usually just run the XP defrag. Maybe the new version is better, and I'll give it another chance.

IxGOxSOLO said:
....However I ran it once and it was taking an extremely long time to defragment(like 6+ hours) for some very complete defrag method, i forgot which option it was....
For O&O to take that long meant one of two things, either your rig is slow as shit, like a 20mhz Apple Mac SE, or it was in extreme need of a proper defragmenting. I suspect the latter. ;)

KoolDrew said:
It will actually defragment and arrange files that the others miss. The ability to defragment locked files and the MFT are biggies to me. With O&O this is no-hassle business as usual, and online assistance in the new version steps that up a few more notches, even though it was already the best available before that innovation. Being able to defragment and order files in a custom way are biggies, too. It will defragment, or skip, any file you choose. Also, it will defragment by name, space, or the last time the file was changed, or accessed. It uses advanced heuristics to determine when to defragment if you want to set and forget it, unlike others that let you pick the time, but not the need. It goes beyond simple percentages to determine that need, too. This program is very, very smart. I rank it at the very top of current software technology.

I credit O&O with being the primary reason that my install is the original one (4/03), and that it runs flawlessly. Any critical system file that goes askew gets caught, and fixed, by O&O. A screwed up sys.config file causes a lot of reinstalls, in my opinion, but I never see problems like that.

digitalman in his sig said:
Trolls, can't live with'em, can't kill'em.-Evil_Furby
Wanna bet? Cyberspace can be a dangerous place for trolls, too. What goes around, comes around, as one of them is soon to discover. :eek:

mosin said:
For O&O to take that long meant one of two things, either your rig is slow as shit, like a 20mhz Apple Mac SE, or it was in extreme need of a proper defragmenting. I suspect the latter. ;)

Well it was an older version and I regularly do defragmentation with XPs built in defrag(maybe it just sucks that much). I think I selected one of the most complete/name whatever option it was. Perhaps I proceeded without enough free space(if that is even an option with OO but I can't remember, and I seriously don't see myself doing something like thatanyway :p)Either way i did still encounter that BSOD error, which has kept me away from it, maybe I just got unlucky and I'll have to try it again.

Oh yeah did I mention this was on a P100, 16MB RAM with a 160GB hard drive?:p Just kidding. I guess I'll have to give it another shot.

Maybe you should give it another try. O&O only needs 5% free space, so I doubt if that was why it took so long before.

First, do a Name defrag, followed by a Space defrag. I would clean up the rig a bit first. Take a look at what happens to the MFT and locked files. Depending on the condition of your machine, you may even be amazed. The reports that O&O produces are interesting, too.

Thanks for answering my questiosn guys and sorry for the mispelling. It looks like I will try O&O out

KoolDrew said:
Thanks for answering my questiosn guys and sorry for the mispelling. It looks like I will try O&O out
Well, you are welcome. You misspelled two more words, however. I misspell maybe five per post, so you aren't alone. I recommend Firefox with the Spellbound 0.6.0 extension. It fixed my problem, except now I have to watch for the correct punctuation. I used to have a sig that said that any misspelled word in the post was actually the official new spelling of the word. I made the sig after Ice Czar corrected my spelling. (Fortunately, I have no shame.) I don't think that a lot of people believed me about the new spelling, though. :)

Or...
You can spell things anyway you like, as long as we can figure it out. Nobody here is up for a Pulitzer Prize this year. :D

I actually just realized that there is a spell checker for Opera. I will be trying that out.

EDIT: Just installed it and it works great

Wow. Speelbound is slick.

Back on topic, is O&O free and better than, say, dirms?

Cheers.

arkamw said:
Wow. Speelbound is slick.

Back on topic, is O&O free and better than, say, dirms?

Cheers.
Yes, Spellbound is slick, and no, O&O is not free. It costs around $45, but it is far, far better than dirms. dirms has its use, however. I use it on one of my rigs after I rip a DVD, or something else that's particularly intensive. It is quick, but not nearly as thorough as O&O.

Hmmmm.... maybe I should actually use Spellbound next time.

I'll look into it, thanks for the info.

Cheers.

arkamw said:
Hmmmm.... maybe I should actually use Spellbound next time.

I'll look into it, thanks for the info.

Cheers.
LOL
That was actually pretty funny...maybe you should.

i use COMPLETE/name to defrag, make shit REALLY spiffy, game load times are signifigantly cut since all the folders are arranged in alphabetical order

Back