I thought Microsoft fixed the slow copying issue in Vista?

milkweg

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm still finding moving files around in Vista is far slower than on XP. I thought Microsoft claimed they had fixed that issue? They may have improved it but it still sucks badly. When I am moving a large file from an internal HDD to an external USB HDD it is painfully slow. Is 2GB ram not enough or something?

SP1 is where the most improvements come from.

Be advised, the issue with file copy speeds when a media player is running has not been resolved as far as I know.

If it's an issue with Vista, how come I'm not experiencing it?

Drivers take a big roll in transfer/copying , from hard drive to same disc.

Maybe because you are not transferring gobs of data from one HDD to an external USB HDD? Are you going to claim it is my hardware that is at fault now?

I don't have SP1 so will wait for that to be officially released and see how it is then.

I've seen some Vista machines take a LOT longer to copy large files (10-20GB PSTs) over the LAN than the XP machines we have in our shop. The same files, copied at different times, so no simultaneous transfers to muck up the works. I looked at it briefly but couldn't find a likely culprit. It doesn't happen with all of our servers though, just one Supermirco whitebox. Very strange, and only the Vista machines exhibit this behavior. Maybe the NIC driver on the Supermicro box doesn't play well with our new Vista machines. Something to look at on Tuesday morning :)

I too have been victim of slow transfer speeds. I don't know if it was an update or if I had reinstalled but one day I noticed it wasn't as slow as it used to be.

I'm just saying that it seems that it's an issue that not all people get...but that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

Maybe because you are not transferring gobs of data from one HDD to an external USB HDD? Are you going to claim it is my hardware that is at fault now?

No need to be a dick (doubt you have one), but I do transfer 7-8GB of video files from my primary hard disk to a NAS and it transfers pretty damn quick, though let me advise you, prior to SP1, my transfers were shitty, SP1 seemed to have fixed it. Which is why I stated previously, drivers take a big roll in this.

sp1 did fix the problems... but just dont play any music at the same time :)

I'm still finding moving files around in Vista is far slower than on XP. I thought Microsoft claimed they had fixed that issue? They may have improved it but it still sucks badly. When I am moving a large file from an internal HDD to an external USB HDD it is painfully slow. Is 2GB ram not enough or something?

This will be corrected in SP1, and the grossly incorrect estimations of copy time seem to have been fixed as well on the machine I'm trying it on.

On Vista RTM I was able to get the estimated time to over a month for only 8 gigs of data. Obviously the copy does not take anywhere near that long, I just find it humerous that they actually managed to make their estimated copy time algorithm even worse than it was before.

I too have been victim of slow transfer speeds. I don't know if it was an update or if I had reinstalled but one day I noticed it wasn't as slow as it used to be.

I'm just saying that it seems that it's an issue that not all people get...but that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

And saying this isn't being a condescending dick?

"If it's an issue with Vista, how come I'm not experiencing it?"

That's about as useful to me as the AOL users who would reply to posts saying "me too". You never said in your post that you were using SP1. If you had said get SP1 to fix it then I wouldn't have been a dickless dick.

Back