I think my mobo is dead. Any way to fix?

I have a GA-970A-D3P and it seems to be dead.

I go down to just one stick of ram, a GPU and a CPU and I can't get it to POST. I turn it on and the CPU fan spins fast but over the course of a minute or two slows down to almost nothing. If I take out the stick of RAM, it does continuous short beeps. I looked it up: no RAM. The CPU, RAM, GPU and PSU are all good. Confirmed on other systems. So, it makes me think the mobo is bricked. Odd thing though...one time, I booted up after sitting around off for like ten days. Now it seems dead again.

Anything I am missing? Any quick fixes?

try a new battery with a good clearing while its out. try another display or port on the gpu. if its giving a no ram beep, it only mostly dead. :)
1645507717519.png

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Well, I let it sit for several days and replaced the battery and still no life.

Not sure what else to try...my hunch is it is something with the chipset as when it was working it was super hot.

Pcb or a component could be cracked/loose, seen it happen all too often.

Example: System is fine, install ram or heat sinks that can apply a lot of pressure, or a case that has a bent tray or flimsy tray that gives under the pressure of the ram, 24 pin, etc, installed bam no post.

Take it out of the case, gently flex slightly, try again. Push from the back, since all the pressure is usually from the front of the motherboard.

I've had a few motherboards I've given up on, shelved, tried, they lived, then I install components and they quit again. I've had some i could revive with pressure from the backside, and one where you could hear the crunching of the pcb layers, but the traces were ok enough to work if you didn't cave it in installing dimms. Cheap cases with thin metal motherboard trays are a killer.

Back