I think my BFG 6600GT OC AGP is overheating

SilverMK3

[H]ard|Gawd
I get green and purple artifacts all over the screen after playing BF2 for more than 4-5 minutes straight. Eventually it will lock up the computer and force me to reboot. After rebooting, if I check the NVIDIA control panel, my vid card temp is up around 80-90 degrees celcius and dropping fast. If I let it settle, it'll usually drop to around 60 degrees celcius at idle. Is my card overheating? The GPU fan seems to be running fine and the ambient case temp is at around 40 degrees.

If I check the event viewer in WinXP it shows an error in the COM+ Event Handler coinciding with the time that the computer locked up. After much googling, I think it might be related to the Forceware drivers, though I've tried the 73.xx, 77.72s, and the 80.40 betas at guru3d (on BFG tech support's suggestion).

Are there any decent coolers that won't give me issues fitting a BFG 6600GT OC AGP? I've been out of the cooling/ocing game for a while.

Very strange as the BFG 6600 GT already comes with a superior copper cooler. It sounds like maybe the GPU cooler isn't sitting right. Perhaps you should call their tech support and see if an RMA would be appropriate.

I think you were right. I took off the heatsinks and scraped the silicon thermal goo off and replaced it with a little bit of Arctic Silver 2 (I think my tube of it is like 6yrs old! :eek: ) and there's no more artifacting. Unfortunately BF2 is still crashing on me with the same COM+ error :(.
Looks like its time for a format & reinstall. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my chipset and video drivers too many times now.

SilverMK3 said:
I think you were right. I took off the heatsinks and scraped the silicon thermal goo off and replaced it with a little bit of Arctic Silver 2 (I think my tube of it is like 6yrs old! :eek: ) and there's no more artifacting. Unfortunately BF2 is still crashing on me with the same COM+ error :(.
Looks like its time for a format & reinstall. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my chipset and video drivers too many times now.

Not to be a spoil sport...but you realised you just voided your lifetime warranty?

-tReP

Trepidati0n said:
Not to be a spoil sport...but you realised you just voided your lifetime warranty?

-tReP

True, but if the card is no worse for the activity, then whats the difference?

either way he would still need to get a new one.

Crap.
Well it looks like it wasn't fixed after all. It was just crashing on me before it had a chance to heat up. I finally got it stable enough to let me play the single player game after reinstalling windows and downloading the latest drivers for everything I have. But here are some screenshots of the artifacting that occurs:

screen000.jpg

screen003.jpg

screen007.jpg

screen008.jpg

40C case temp is way high add some holes with fans to that case. I doubt a different card will give you any better results with your card. I run 28C case temp and I still get up to 65C with ArcticCool NV5 on my XFX 6800GT 400/1200.

Back