I think my 6970 blew up....

Fazzar

Limp Gawd
I've got two 6970s in SLI. Today when playing a game, I crashed to blue-screen and at the same time the fan on one of the 6970s went to max rpm. When I came back from the crash, I noticed that I could no longer see one of the 6970s in the device manager. And the fan on the missing card is still running at max RPM.

Does that sound like a blown card? Or could something else be going on?

Swap the cards around or try them each on their own.

That should give you a better idea...

Are they right next to each other on the motherboard? My XFX 6950s get way too hot be used in adjacent PCI 16 slots. The top one will break 100C even with huge fans blowing on it (HAF X). That is not far from melting temp.

He probably means CrossFireX. Lol. Anyways, I would take out both cards, and try them out 1 at a time. To get an idea which one could be bad. It could be bad slot on motherboard or bad card. Just try different combinations till you figure out which it could be.

Like others said.

Try them by themselves in each slot and then go from there.

Was glad my mobo had space to separate my two 6970s since they can get alittle hot when sandwiched together. I know some people use the thick part of a tie wrap to separate them in that situation to let the top card breathe.

Good luck to you.

Are they right next to each other on the motherboard? My XFX 6950s get way too hot be used in adjacent PCI 16 slots. The top one will break 100C even with huge fans blowing on it (HAF X). That is not far from melting temp.

They are close together, but my case is a pretty darn good cooler. One ran at 70C and the other about 65C under absolute stressful conditions. I also did not over-clock in any way.

not sure you how got your 6970 to worki n SLI :) that's an achievement to brag about!

Haha! Oops... I meant Xfire :)

I'll report back on the results after this weekend hopefully. I'm in a wheelchair and need to wait until a friend swings by that can open up the case and swap/re-seat the cards. My wife would probably snap the card in half if I asked her to do it, so I'll wait for a technically included buddy to drop by.

Last edited:
not sure you how got your 6970 to worki n SLI :) that's an achievement to brag about!

Yes in fact he did get them to work in SLI.

SLI means "Scan line interleave" aka "Scaleable Link Interface" as per nVidia marketing.

nVidia just simply branded SLI as if it was some kind of new hyper cool technology that they owned and there fore SLI means nVidia only.

However crossfire is the same technology pound for pound. They simply branded the term "Crossfire".

They do the same thing by splitting rendereding in a interleaved fashion, or card 1 does 1 line and card 2 does 2nd line of resolution on the display. There are more advanced ways of rendering this but you get the basics. Both cards to the same damn thing.

3dFX Voodoo had SLI over 10 years ago but wait .... hows that possible if nVidia hadn't invented the term or was not even a company yet?

just my 2 cents.

OP you are right in my opinion.

Last edited:

SLI means "Scan line interleave" aka "Scaleable Link Interface" as per nVidia marketing.

nVidia just simply branded SLI as if it was some kind of new hyper cool technology that they owned and there fore SLI means nVidia only.

However crossfire is the same technology pound for pound. They simply branded the term "Crossfire".

They do the same thing by splitting rendereding in a interleaved fashion, or card 1 does 1 line and card 2 does 2nd line of resolution on the display. There are more advanced ways of rendering this but you get the basics. Both cards to the same damn thing.

3dFX Voodoo had SLI over 10 years ago but wait .... hows that possible if nVidia hadn't invented the term or was not even a company yet?

just my 2 cents.

sorry but you're wrong :p SLI in the post 3dfx erra is Scalable Link Interface, which is a term coined by NV.

Neither ATI or NV use Scan Line Interleaving, they use AFR and Split screen? neither of which are alternate line rendering methods ;)

3dfx SLI != NV SLI, on that hand, 3DFX used the term to describe their rendering method as well, where NV does not.

just my 2 cents.

duty_calls.png

sorry but you're wrong :p SLI in the post 3dfx erra is Scalable Link Interface, which is a term coined by NV.

Neither ATI or NV use Scan Line Interleaving, they use AFR and Split screen? neither of which are alternate line rendering methods ;)

3dfx SLI != NV SLI, on that hand, 3DFX used the term to describe their rendering method as well, where NV does not.

Wait didnt I say that? I could have sworn......

Here prove me wrong...

Heres the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dfx_Interactive
SLI

The Voodoo2 introduced Scan-Line Interleave (SLI) to the gaming market. In SLI mode, two Voodoo2 boards were connected together, each drawing half the scan lines of the screen. For the price of a second Voodoo2 board, users could easily improve 3D throughout. A welcome result of SLI mode was an increase in the maximum resolution supported, now up to 1024×768. However, due to the high cost and inconvenience of using three separate graphics cards (two Voodoo 2 SLI plus the general purpose 2D graphics adapter), the Voodoo2 SLI scheme, though revolutionary at the time, had minimal effect on the total market share that the Voodoo2 held and was not a financial success.

The potential of the Voodoo2's SLI was limited by CPU bottlenecking[5] Still, the long-term accomplishment of this technology can be seen in its usefulness in gaming as late as 2004.[6]

SLI capability was not offered in subsequent 3dfx board designs, although the technology would be later used to link the VSA-100 chips on the Voodoo 5.

Having since acquired 3dfx, Nvidia in 2004 reintroduced the SLI brand (initially called Scalable Link Interface) in the GeForce 6 Series. ATI Technologies has also since introduced its own multi-chip implementation, dubbed "CrossFire". Although NVIDIA SLI and ATI Crossfire operate on the original SLI principle of utilizing the power of multiple video cards, the implementation is different.

To OP sorry this is not meant to redirect the focus of your thread, however you did say SLI with AMD cards. Just fun to all learn something new I guess.

Last edited:
Wait didnt I say that? I could have sworn......

Here prove me wrong...

Heres the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dfx_Interactive
SLI

The Voodoo2 introduced Scan-Line Interleave (SLI) to the gaming market. In SLI mode, two Voodoo2 boards were connected together, each drawing half the scan lines of the screen. For the price of a second Voodoo2 board, users could easily improve 3D throughout. A welcome result of SLI mode was an increase in the maximum resolution supported, now up to 1024×768. However, due to the high cost and inconvenience of using three separate graphics cards (two Voodoo 2 SLI plus the general purpose 2D graphics adapter), the Voodoo2 SLI scheme, though revolutionary at the time, had minimal effect on the total market share that the Voodoo2 held and was not a financial success.

The potential of the Voodoo2's SLI was limited by CPU bottlenecking[5] Still, the long-term accomplishment of this technology can be seen in its usefulness in gaming as late as 2004.[6]

SLI capability was not offered in subsequent 3dfx board designs, although the technology would be later used to link the VSA-100 chips on the Voodoo 5.

Having since acquired 3dfx, Nvidia in 2004 reintroduced the SLI brand (initially called Scalable Link Interface) in the GeForce 6 Series. ATI Technologies has also since introduced its own multi-chip implementation, dubbed "CrossFire". Although NVIDIA SLI and ATI Crossfire operate on the original SLI principle of utilizing the power of multiple video cards, the implementation is different.

To OP sorry this is not meant to redirect the focus of your thread, however you did say SLI with AMD cards. Just fun to all learn something new I guess.

Here, proven wrong :)

AKA = also known as,

The 2 technologies are not similar at all, SLI with 3DFX had each card render the next line of pixels, sort of like an interlaced TV :p

but yea, back to the OP :)

Here, proven wrong :)

AKA = also known as,

The 2 technologies are not similar at all, SLI with 3DFX had each card render the next line of pixels, sort of like an interlaced TV :p

but yea, back to the OP :)
Oh a typo.... hrrmmm yeah back to the OP haha im sure he knows the difference now not that he asked

Try and uninstall your drivers completely. Remove the known good card. Install the bad card. try and boot machine. If that doesnt work. try different card slot. If that doesnt work try RMA. You can always bake it!

Thanks for the input and help folks. I had a friend open up the rig and it turns out the power connection for one of the video cards was loose. It caused the card to disappear as a device and also caused the fan to run at full rpm for some reason.

Power reconnected and all is well. Very happy the card did not blow up :)

Back