I think its about time to add a subwoofer to my Swans m10.

I saw this Polk Audio PSW10 on sale from newegg's email, but found it cheaper on amazon + no tax for me. Would this be a good sub for my swans for the money, or is there better? Looking at the $120-$150 range including shipping/tax.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ers-_-L3C-_-82290034&[email protected]

Thanks. Also, what cables do I need again? I totally forgot...

Think that sub will be perfect. I am getting a sub from that series PSW125..but that's because I have a friggin massive system I need to add bass to...you will be fine with that sub, it was also on my list but simply doesn't supply enough watts for my needs :D

Yeah my system isn't massive at all. I just want some bass now, nothing too wall shakey though. Would just be used for my computer for music/gaming.

I found my olddd thread where phimp told me how to connect a sub to the swans. However, the polk sub doesn't look like it has a mono input, but it has a right and left channel. Would i need to get two rca splitters then?

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032216858&postcount=14

You have the Swan M10's no? The ones that already have a sub....? Running two is just a bad idea, unless you deliberately want to disrupt the balance the M10's currently have.

I have the M200MKII's, a 2.0 system, so adding a sub works out nicely as long as it has xover controls.

Hmmm i never really thought the m10's middle woofer was a sub. I think its been regarded here as a "mid woofer", which just helps tame the high's? Idk, something like that. Thats why they say it shouldn't go on the floor, but inbetween the left and right channel speakers. Not really sure, I'm not too audio-savvy.

So it wouldn't be a good idea to get the sub? I've heard I should, and now im hearing the opposite, haha. IF anything, i'm fine with how they sound now. I was just looking for a little upgrade with a sub, but if thats not a step in the right directions, thats fine with me.

The M10's are a small system. The mid-range drivers are matched to the sub to produce a sound that is clear and balanced, albeit not very loud or powerful. Adding another subwoofer will just be overpowering for such a small system.

That being said, part of what you said is true. The "sub"woofer included with the M10's isn't "truly" a subwoofer, as it is just to small to accurately reproduce frequencies that a real sub should. BUT, it IS sent those frequencies, so in relation to the also small main mid drivers, it IS a sub.

I hope this makes sense. I just think adding a larger subwoofer to the small M10's will just result in a very unbalanced sound.

If its more power you are looking for then I suggest in looking into a speaker system with larger drivers.

I see. Makes sense. I dont want to hurt the sound, since I already like the way they sound originally. Not looking for more power, just a little more oomph I suppose. I have no intention/desire to build a whole new system, haha.

Thanks for the help man.

If you just want a touch more bottom end, most any cheap sub off eBay or somewhere would be good enough. I got a cheap 8" Infinity sub for $25 (that reeked of cigarette smoke, read the descriptions carefully) that was all I needed for a bit of bottom end on a small 2nd system. criccio is right that adding a big sub will overpower everything else.

Were you able to get rid of the smoky smell? If so how did you do that? What chemicals did you use?

I bathed it in Fabreze 8 times a day for 3 weeks and it finally stopped making my eyes water. :)

I sprayed the Fabreze all over it including into the bass port on the side and it finally worked, but it took a while. I figured for $25 I wasn't out much if it fried the amp or messed with the speaker cone, but it seems to work fine. YMMV.

So that Polk sub has too much power and will over power my swans?

Any specific recommendations? I know the sub cant be passive, but I don't want to get some crap distorty one, if I do get one.

I would sell your M10's then buy some 2.0 monitors (Swan, M-Audio, etc) and get a sub with that.

Back