I think I shot my mobo!

josh_fest

n00b
The other night I had to replace the hs/f on my processor and chipset. Everything seemed to go smoothly. However, when I turn on the computer now, I get a blank screen :( . All lights, fans, etc. come on and it seems to be booting up fine. But the fans on the graphics card will only come on every few tries. When the card seems to have power though, the screen is still blank. I'm positive that everything is plugged in and I've reseated the graphics card countless times. Any ideas?

Reset the CMOS? Unplug it for one night and come back in the morning? Try a different graphics card, or perhaps a PCI one? Make sure that if you have a molex connector on your graphics card, it's all the way seated. Use a different monitor connection (DVI/VGA) if applicable...

Just keep trying things until you isolate something.

Ok I cleared the cmos and tried the card in another computer. It worked fine in another one. Must be something with the power or mobo :confused:

if you unseated the video card when you did the HSF swap, try removing/reseating the vid card about 5 - 6 times in a row before powering up....i've had to do that before in order for it to make good contact with the leads inside the AGP slot.

i know you said you reseated countless times, but was it reseat once, then power up, and try again, or reseat several times, then power up?

Well before I would just reseat, then power up. I just tried reseating several times and then power up, but I got the same results :( . I tried it more than once

sounds like it's time to strip it down to only the bare essentials.....disconnect everything from the mobo except the CPU/HSF, the RAM, the video card, and the PSU and see what happens. if it still doesn't work, i'd remove the HSF and CPU and make sure there are no bent pins, or anything conductive that may have accidentally fallen between the CPU and the socket that would cause a short. also, clean any/all old thermal grease off the CPU/HSF and reapply new stuff.

Ok nothing is working so I've decided to just buy a new mobo. I found that I can just do a repair install of windows so that I won't lose anything on my hdd's. Thanks for the help guys

Back