I think I set a gpu temp record

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Apr 25, 2001
Messages
16,161
Came home the other day from the grocery store and noticed my dedicated folding box with the 9800GX2 was very sluggish then it locked up. Well the screen didn't go blank and it didn't reboot so I looked over at my CPUID Hardware Monitor on the screen......listen to this......one of the 9800GX2 gpu's was at 252C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap, I thought I smelled something. Anyway, I shut the machine down, let it cool, fired it back up........the card still works. All I can think is maybe the fan shut off for some reason. All is normal now.


That has to be a record!
 
252 and it didnt melt?
I mean thats like 485 Farenheight

WTF
 
Is that possible? Sure it wasn't F* ?
My 295's are hitting 105 C and I was just coming here to ask if that's too hot, but even if your reading F* that's still hotter than me
Damn these new WU's, cooking my cards, and I've already dropped the Core clock below stock lol
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
252 and it didnt melt?
I mean thats like 485 Farenheight

WTF

Exactly. I'd be willing to bet CPUID doesn't really read that high, and it just displayed a false reading when the system locked up. But....the card did get pretty hot. Scared the crap out of me.
 
Is that possible? Sure it wasn't F* ?
My 295's are hitting 105 C and I was just coming here to ask if that's too hot, but even if your reading F* that's still hotter than me
Damn these new WU's, cooking my cards, and I've already dropped the Core clock below stock lol
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

that is way to hot too. i dought it will last a very long time at those temps
 
This is from way back when. This card always ran ridiculously hot. It used to artifact when it got stressed so these temps might not be far off. I replaced it when I built a new box. I gave it to my friend to use and I think it finally died in his computer after quite some time. Excuse the messy desktop.

temppwnt2.jpg
 
yeah id say its a bogus reading that happened when the gpu started locking up.. theres no way in hell the safety features nor the drivers would allow that gpu to reach those temps..

cypher your not the only one that had an insanely hot running 6800GT.. mine would hit 120C no problem under any load.. ended up going back to my radeon 9700 because i got sick of dealing with it..
 
BAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEE ITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

Sorry, still a bit sluggish on my response times, ive been kinda weird lately after that surgery.
 
Back
Top