i think i need a router upgrade

Dome

2[H]4U
Okay so my home network (used primarily for gaming, hence this forum) uses an old Buffalo router for wifi (2 laptops and an iPad) with ps3 and 360 plugged in. lately, skype calls have been choppy and sometimes halo 4 games have been laggy when i'm party leader.

when i tried skype calls using 4g they were crystal clear, so i'm thinking in need to upgrade.

i pay for a connection that's supposed to be 10down/1up mbps, if that matters. i want to buy a high quality router but i don't want to overpay for something i can't take advantage of.

So what's a good router?

everybody raves about the RT-N66U

when i replace this shitty dlink ill get that no doubt

I got the prior version a while back, the RT-N56U, and couldn't be happier with it. Replaced an old logitech, and I can't tell you how nice it is to have consistent wireless. No more random drops or needing to reset the damn thing for no good reason for it to work again. No more millisecond "hiccups" in FPS gaming every few minutes as it seemed to restablish connection or something like that.

Also, the fact that it looks cool as hell and slightly lessons the "nerd" factor in my bedroom is also appreciated. ;)

EDIT: The management software is also very well done.

Last edited:
The thing is my wireless used to be perfect, but lately i've had problems both video calling and playing video games. as far as budget, i am willing to spend whatever i need to, i just don't want to pay for technology, bells and whistles that i won't be using.

The thing is my wireless used to be perfect, but lately i've had problems both video calling and playing video games. as far as budget, i am willing to spend whatever i need to, i just don't want to pay for technology, bells and whistles that i won't be using.

Have you tried updating the firmware for the router or doing a factory reset?

I got a WNDR3700 v2 off of ebay for around $70 shipped. That with the antenna mod and openwrt and I am really happy. I also have a v1 but no antenna mod on those and they can have problems with the wifi. I have an OOMA pushing to my cellphone setup for QOS and it doesn't stutter.

I got a WNDR3700 v2 off of ebay for around $70 shipped. That with the antenna mod and openwrt and I am really happy. I also have a v1 but no antenna mod on those and they can have problems with the wifi. I have an OOMA pushing to my cellphone setup for QOS and it doesn't stutter.

I have used this router for 1yr and have had no problems with it so far its been pretty good.

Have you tried updating the firmware for the router or doing a factory reset?

I have not. I have an old buffalo router and I remember it being a pain in the ass to setup. Still, I suppose I should try it before blowing 150 on a new router...

I have not. I have an old buffalo router and I remember it being a pain in the ass to setup. Still, I suppose I should try it before blowing 150 on a new router...

I would first try and see if there is a new firmware update. I know I have does this in the past to fix issues regarding wireless.

After having issues with various Linksys routers over the years (going back to the venerable 54) I've been really happy with the Netgear I picked up last year. Easier, more reliable, connections and it has better range, too.

What's the benefit? At this point it's been flawless.

More features that match the N-66U, which is nice to have. Newer 3.x series kernel w/ dual stack IPv4+IPv6. I just appreciate have more options on hand w/o it being locked into the manufacturer's sterile firmware.

If you are willing the spend more, I got sick of consumer routers and finally put together "semi pro" solution. It is not that easy to use but it sure stabilized my network and gave me alot of freedom in placement.

I have an RB750GL and a Unifi Pro AP.
You could do the same and a regular unifi for around $125.

If you are looking to not spend money you might just have a new device that is interfering with your network, could even be someone near you like a neighbor. Try changing the channels your wifi is running on. On the other hand you might have sustained a surge, or had heat damage your router. Could also be someone just using your network.

I mentioned the WNDR3700 because it does dual band at the same time. So you can go buy a 5ghz adapter and might have some luck on that.

I'm interested in getting that Asus router too. What's the difference between the one that was linked (RT-N66U) and the more expensive RT-AC66U? They look almost identical. Is one newer than the other?

I'm interested in getting that Asus router too. What's the difference between the one that was linked (RT-N66U) and the more expensive RT-AC66U? They look almost identical. Is one newer than the other?

"5th generation 802.11ac chipset gives you concurrent dual-band 2.4GHz/5GHz for up to super-fast 1.75Gbps"

That is the main difference the RT-AC66U has.

I've got the Netgear that was posted earlier and have been very happy with it. Regardless of which router, if you get a dual band (and you should), make sure it does CONCURRENT bands.

I picked up a router a while back that said it was dual-band, but it was EITHER 2.4 or 5. You couldn't have devices connected to each band at the same time. Whichever band got a connection first was the only band that you could use.

"Double your wireless performance and bandwidth with simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands speed up to 300Mbps concurrently" RT-N56U

So both the 56U and the 66U are concurrent, but the 66U has the 802.11ac tech inside, if you somehow need that in the near future.

I guess it comes down to a choice between 1300MB / 450MB transfer speeds between the two models, and also a bit more coverage range, 450ft vs 360ft on the 66U vs the 56U

Last edited:
Routerboards are awesome for the price, just don't get the rb751u, the wireless is horrible. My friend just got the rb2011 wireless model, when I get a chance to test it I'll let you know if they fixed wireless but it should be ok if it's really MCS15.

You can't go wrong unless you need OpenVPN and have no way of running a separate server for it. I use the rb750g and it's great, very powerful especially when you figure out mangle. You can get 750GL for $50, pair it with a Unifi AP for another $50 and it blows consumer gear away.

Back