I think I Broke it- 7950 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

filip

2[H]4U
The problem is that the card will not show video after the windows loading logo. I tried it in safe mode and It will work but not in regular windows start up. Drivers are up to date but I have the catalyst control center problem.
Well here is the whole story.... The card was working fine on air and would auto connect when I first tested it then came the fun. I decided the next day to water cool the card with a Dwood bracket. I took the card apart and saw there was a chance it would not work,(the heatsink had an Indent) but I did it any way. On a Metro bench mark it hit 103C but still worked. (there was little to no contact between the cooler and card when I checked afterward) I took the setup apart and put it on air again but this time it would not work.

I hope this is just catalyst being a piece of shit and that I don't have a ruined card.

Any thing helpful would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Um if you ran it knowing there was no contact..........kind of made your bed there. Sorry.

Sorry there was some contact. It was running at 35C and I figured the cooler was just starting up. But It shot up big time. Do you think I screwed the pooch here?

I'd say bad luck, but you saw the problem and ran it anyway.
I recommend getting a new card and not doing that again.

The silicon circuits have been damaged and now there is way too much leakage current heating it up.
Thats the minimum damage that will have occurred, it could be beyond use.
There is a vague possibility it will run if water cooled.
You may need to underclock it too.

Thanks guys I thought that's what happen, but I am surprised there was not an auto shut off as in previous generation cards. The gpus that put the chip in an indented format are a pain in the wallet.
Ya corrected the part about contact, I was fairly certain there was contact otherwise I would have not tried it.

Dang, that sucks. I dont think you were wrong in attempting to run it, but you should have underclocked it or been ready to shut the comp down and actively watching temps when loading it.

You can always try baking it.

The temps shot up in Like a second no way to stop it fast enough. I may try a RMA :D hahaha

Ok, Not your money or card. No need to post your flabbergasted rants here.

The temps shot up in Like a second no way to stop it fast enough. I may try a RMA :D hahaha

What do you mean by
On a Metro bench mark it hit 103C but still worked

then? That makes it sound like it was running for something more than a second.

And of course there is no denying what you are doing is wrong.. but none of us can stop you. Of course, we can try to make you feel bad about it though [because you should] :D

I bought the card used from some one, and powercolor only dose rma's for the original purchaser. I could not rma it if I wanted to, but no one sees hints like :D or hahaha as a joke.

What I meant by it still ran after 103 was- the computer did not crash and I was able to get the card temps back to ~40c before turning off the PC. That's Why I still had some hope of the card working afterwards. I'm going to dick around with it a little tomorrow and see if I can get it working good again.

When you remount a cooler, it might run it in ULPS (ultra low power state) until you untick that box in Trixx or whatever. That's what happened to my card when I mounted my Accelero on it. I didn't mount correctly the first time and it ran up to 97 degrees in Furmark. Doesn't seem to have damaged the card in any way. I can still overclock as effectively.

Baked it today, will update with results.
Edit: results- did not work same problem.

Last edited:
simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Joke or not, I'd love to punch you in the jaw just for saying that.

And I would like to punch you in the balls because you can't keep your opinions to your self, and also because you have 420 in you username- woodstock forever maaaannnnn oh and also Cowboy - Broke Back Mountain must be your favorite film, cowboy

No, just tired of these dick responses. Your probably one of those dicks that would film an accident after it happened instead of going to help or even calling 911. :rolleyes:

No, I doubt that I would record it, but I would point and laugh. Survival of the fittest.

And learn the difference between "you're" and "your".

And I would like to punch you in the balls because you can't keep your opinions to your self, and also because you have 420 in you username- woodstock forever maaaannnnn oh and also Cowboy - Broke Back Mountain must be your favorite film, cowboy

Hilarious... I live on a farm you idiot, hence my name and the 4/20 is my sons birthday. And btw, this is the internet, if you can't handle someones opinion then you should step away from the PC and put your little head back into the sand.

Reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back