I.T. Service Request Software?

BuGaLoU

[H]ard|Gawd
I need help from my fellow I.T. comrades.

Basically I was wondering if thier was any webbased software out there for IT service requests. By this I don't mean help desk software, I mean like when a department has a new employee and they need a windows account setup, AS/400 account, and other 3rd party software accounts.

My ideal solution would have a user goto a webpage, fill out what they need and for who, it would then be forwarded to the department head where he could goto a webpage and approve the requests. When it is aprroved it is forwarded to IT where they can goto a webpage and fillout the needed info. At any time the user can go back and check the status of the request, and if the task is done the logon information and what not would be listed.

I know this is kind of reaching, but I just figure there might be something out there.

BuGaLoU said:
I know this is kind of reaching, but I just figure there might be something out there.

I know you said you didn't want "help desk software" but you are basically requesting the same thing. Basic user information, approval, status, actions taken...

Is it just that you don't want as complicated (and pricey) of a system as some of prepackaged trouble ticket systems that are available or is ther some other reason we should be aware of?

If you want simple you can build your own with ASP and a simple MDB file in a few days. it would be fully web based.

If you want something more complex you will have to find something like Paragon or Remedy... Big Bucks for those.

I'm using PHP Support Tickets right now for support requests.
http://www.phpsupporttickets.com/

Depending on how automated you want it, you could always just do a webform that e-mails the IT Director with the service request and they could forward those e-mails on. Webforms are really easy. Dreamweaver has some templates built-in I believe.

-Chris

Malk-a-mite said:
I know you said you didn't want "help desk software" but you are basically requesting the same thing. Basic user information, approval, status, actions taken...

Is it just that you don't want as complicated (and pricey) of a system as some of prepackaged trouble ticket systems that are available or is ther some other reason we should be aware of?

We already have a help desk system; EIT Solutions. Unfortunalty this software is a bit much for the average user there and is not streamlined to do the task I am trying to accomplish. I want this to be all web based and I want a way for IT to post the login information and the user can then view the information easily without having to dig through 40 tabs of criteria.

BuGaLoU said:
I want this to be all web based and I want a way for IT to post the login information and the user can then view the information easily without having to dig through 40 tabs of criteria.

Simple and easy, web based. Assuming coding your own in house it not wanted have a look at the link chrisdodds posted above:
http://www.phpsupporttickets.com/

There demo page looks a lot like what you are requesting.

PMOS Helpdesk (http://www.h2desk.com/pmos/) is something I've been thinking about rolling out at my company. The thing that I like is that users aren't required to register for an account (unless you know how to work PHP with LDAP).

I've used PHP and MySQL to create exactly what you are talking about. The last place I worked, I converted all of our manual request form into web based forms. I stored them in a DB and emailed a copy to the help desk. Worked pretty well. Unfortunatly, I didn't take a copy of that with me when I left.

I have deployed Cerberus Helpdesk, works great for my companies helpdesk....processes over 2,000 emails a day(small for what it can do), we've been very happy with it. Cost wasn't all that bad either.

BuGaLoU said:
I need help from my fellow I.T. comrades.

Basically I was wondering if thier was any webbased software out there for IT service requests. By this I don't mean help desk software, I mean like when a department has a new employee and they need a windows account setup, AS/400 account, and other 3rd party software accounts.

My ideal solution would have a user goto a webpage, fill out what they need and for who, it would then be forwarded to the department head where he could goto a webpage and approve the requests. When it is aprroved it is forwarded to IT where they can goto a webpage and fillout the needed info. At any time the user can go back and check the status of the request, and if the task is done the logon information and what not would be listed.

Where I used to work, we created a web-based solution for supervisors to fill out when they got new employees. They'd fill out the forum, a copy was sent to us -- if approved, it gets forwarded to HR with the proper OK's. From that submitted form, we had account info that we used to set stuff out. My co-worker, the fucking genius he was with PHP (Not sarcastic) wrote the whole thing himself.

At my office (150 employees) we uses a self customized version of Liberum Help Desk. It is written in ASP and its free! http://www.liberum.org/
It works well enough for our needs, and can easily be modd'ed to suit most applications (including LDAP auth)

I use a work order system I made with visual web developer express. I'd be happy to share if you're interested.

Back