• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I suck at console controls

MrCrispy

2[H]4U
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
4,001
I downloaded Vanquish for PS3, and I suck at the controls, even the tutorial was a pain. The reviews say it 'controls great' so do I just suck or are consoles just that bad for this type of control? It wasn't a small download either, took a while.

Any tips for getting better?
 
Sometimes you can change the settings so that its more intuitive for you. Like changing the joysticks direction so that down is up and such or buttons for easier access. Otherwise its just getting used to it. Putting in the time will make you understand the controls and have them feel more natural to you the more you play.
 
I downloaded Vanquish for PS3, and I suck at the controls, even the tutorial was a pain. The reviews say it 'controls great' so do I just suck or are consoles just that bad for this type of control? It wasn't a small download either, took a while.

Any tips for getting better?

Vanquish is a great game IMO. Gameplay is faster than your normal 3rd person shooter. That took a little adjusting on my own. I'll tell you the same thing I tell people going from consoles to PC gaming for the first time, practice.

Also like pewter77 said, try a different control style that suits you best. Assuming the game has many options.
 
my thumbs have never gotten to the level on thumb sticks as I am with a mouse and keyboard... but I grew up on a mouse and keyboard. just takes time to adjust
 
my thumbs have never gotten to the level on thumb sticks as I am with a mouse and keyboard... but I grew up on a mouse and keyboard. just takes time to adjust

I have seen how hard it is for people on consoles to try PC gaming, it's painful to watch.
 
I got much better using thumbsticks after playing slower paced games like Oblivion and Fallout. It's much easier to adjust without getting frustrated when the game doesn't revolve around pinpoint aiming.
 
That game you have to mess with the sensitivity first thing. My son who is ridiculously good with a controller said that as soon as he started the tutorial. Once set it was good.
 
just gotta mess around with the settings, like inverting, sensitivity, or different control schemes. the trick is to spend a little bit of time with it, because each time you change something, it feels pretty foreign again.

i recommend 20-30 minutes per setting until you get something you like.
 
If it keeps giving you trouble, I'd suggest practising with a slower shooter until you're comfortable with a gamepad, then go back to Vanquish. Downloading a demo of one of the Resistance or Killzone games might help with that. Most shooters have different button layouts, but you can at least build up some familiarity aiming with the analog stick instead of a mouse.
 
Same here. I quite caught onto the game pad experience. I had an Atari of course, but that was a joystick. I got a SNES when PS2 came out. And only recently got (then sold shortly after) a PS3 that was given to me. Never quite got the hang of it. Keyboard and mouse more me, but I'm not opposed to the joystick/gamepad thing. I did really enjoy playing GT5 with it (the G27 was too much of a pain in the ass to drag out for 20min of racing).
 
I did really enjoy playing GT5 with it (the G27 was too much of a pain in the ass to drag out for 20min of racing).

actually that's one area I think console controllers work better... the racing / flight games when compared to a keyboard/mouse or the setup/teardown & equipment investment costs of dedicated wheel/pedals/joystick/etc. its hard to argue against the value of a X360 controller on a pc for those games.
 
I've always been good on pc, quite good and very poor on console. Not sure what you can do about it.
 
Vanquish is a hard and fast pace game so it may be a bit overwhelming. Just practice as everyone else says, I'm not left handed but I prefer southpaw aiming on controllers (move w/ right stick aim w/ left) . its sorta just finding your groove.
 
just gotta mess around with the settings, like inverting, sensitivity, or different control schemes. the trick is to spend a little bit of time with it, because each time you change something, it feels pretty foreign again.

i recommend 20-30 minutes per setting until you get something you like.


once you start getting use to console controllers, changing sensitivity can still cause issues. most people will change sens, play a few games and then change back because they feel off. you really need quite a bit of games and like a week to fully aclimate yourself.
 
well, for an early controller user, it can help. it did help me in the first halo i owned to adjust. now i play with default sensitivity in most games.
 
I recently picked up a PS3 and started playing Killzone 3 online... just got my ass kicked but I guarantee after a few hours I will be fine.
 
i really suggest bumping the hori sensitivity maybe 1 or 2 notches above vert

most fpses are about (ugh) horizonal fighting. and fast sweeping helps
 
Vanquish is definitely worth the effort to handle shooters with a gamepad. Hands down, the best "cover-based" shooter.
 
Back
Top