I simply cannot have surround sound...

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
I am literally at my wit's end. This is incomprenhisble. To save you the trouble a year long journey, here are the cliffs... (granted, it was a year)

When I built my new system a year and a half ago, I left my working HDA Mystique sound card in the old machine...

For some reason, the LEFT surround speaker ALWAYS goes out through the sub...WHAT IN GOD'S NAME AM I MISSING. I have literally ruled out everything I can think of and googled the crap out of this...

I had an Asus Xonar DX...I spent days trying to fix this so I got a HDA Claro + card thinking it was a bad sound card. Same problem. I got new 5.1 speakers...SAME problem...

I went from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64...SAME problem....

I think it is an OS problem but I simply have reached the end of my ability to fix this. Please help. :( No matter WHAT I do, the rear left channel ALWAYS outputs to the subwoofer, even though I have changed speaker systems completely, sound cards completely, OS's completely. (Yes, when I switch the speaker, then it is the right rear speaker but you get the drift...

Last edited:
Check your drivers for the sound card. I had the exact same problem. You can also get a receiver connected via toslink/optical and have that act as your hub for surround. My problem went away after I changed mobos and sound cards with new drivers. Good luck. I know how frustrating it is.

As an off note, don't hesitate to message me for help or whatnot. I'm a member of Head-fi where I've helped others with similar HTPC problems. You can post over there for help as well.

I have no experience with problems of this nature but I read a sound card review one time, don't recall which one, but I vaguely remember them talking about a feature it had. The sound card would let you swap which outputs are directed to the outputs in the front of the card. Could something along these lines solve your problem?

Good luck buddy, your problem sounds like a real PITA.

That is weird. Go back to the basics. Check the connections, make sure it isn't the wiring. I mean both the connections and the wires themselves. Could be a grounding issue too. Just throwing out ideas based on experience. Because the issue has followed through several setups, I believe it is an issue with something outside of the computer.

Back