• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

i see empty spaces on full screen mode

charliebrown78

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
65
when i try to watch dvd on wm 10 or real player v10 with full screen mode, i see about 1&1/2 inches of empty space on left and right side of the screen. does anyone know how to make them stretch out?? i got samsung 215tw 21inch widescreen monitor and ati 9800xt video card. is it because of my monitor or video card??
 
You are probably watching something that is 4:3 or rather 1.33:1 in aspect ratio. Your monitor is 16:10, ie. 1.6:1. You will always see black space when watching anything other than your desktop or a game on your monitor. HDTV is 16:9 or 1.78:1. Movies range from 1.78:1 to 2.35:1. The only way to get rid of the black space would be to stretch what you are watching. Which usually just makes things look worse.

By the way, how is the backlight on that monitor? Does it have bright corners like the gateway with the same panel?
 
SonComet said:
You are probably watching something that is 4:3 or rather 1.33:1 in aspect ratio. Your monitor is 16:10, ie. 1.6:1. You will always see black space when watching anything other than your desktop or a game on your monitor. HDTV is 16:9 or 1.78:1. Movies range from 1.78:1 to 2.35:1. The only way to get rid of the black space would be to stretch what you are watching. Which usually just makes things look worse.

Well the movie I was trying to watch was Star Wars III widescreen DVD. Since the DVD is a widescreen version, it should be in 1.6:1 ratio. So I thought it should fit my screen perfectly.
 
SonComet said:
By the way, how is the backlight on that monitor? Does it have bright corners like the gateway with the same panel?

I just got this monitor today and I'm very satisfied. I know it cost little more than other similar spec monitors but I just liked this one so much I bought it anyway. It doesn't have any backlight problem. I've been using this monitor all day and the colors look perfect. Hardforum's black background color looks more black than this monitor's black frames. No single dead pixel. The screen is so bright I had to put brightness to 10. (max is 100). It's got bunch of input connections too. Anyways, if you are worried about backlight on this monitor, you don't have to. I can't praise enough about this monitor. I guess you get what you paid for.
 
Back
Top