I really want to upgrage to an A64 system BUT....

tesfaye

2[H]4U
I keep reading posts on this board about poor multitasking performance with the Athlon 64 chips. I don't notice any of this issues with my current setup. I can't see the upgrade being a step backwards. I use HT enabled dells at work and I swear my rig here at home runs smoother. Here is my real point though, I have three options, go Intel and get a p4 2.4 or 6c, mobo, pc 4500 ram, audigy2 and oc the shit out of it, or get an a64 3400+, mobo, audigy2 and use the mushkin memory I already have and try to oc it as much as it will go, leave things as is be happy until the newer chips come out and go get myself a toshiba e805 and some gps gear. What should I do guys? My current machine is scoring 20600 and 7060 in edmark 2001/2003 respectively. It's playing all the latest games without a hitch EXCEPT for Halo. Lord knows why I obsess over this when my Xbox on my Sony 34"XBR 910 gives me 90% of the graphical goodness with 300% better gameplay performance. I just think it should run smoother than it does now. Let me know, Im open to suggestions.

Tesfaye

I think I must "obsess" about computer stuff as much as you.

My 2.4C @ 3.4 P4 runs like a scalded dog....all I do is game, surf and some number crunching, but still I'm waiting on the SIS755 chipset to hit from some reputable board makers.

Guess that's called a hobby, or we need a life....not that I'm trying to put words in your mouth or put you down - quite the contrary.

Here's the way I see it. I work my @ss off (10-14 hours 5 days a week). I shouldn be entitled to enjoy some of the spoils of my labor? Right? R-I-G-H-T!!!!

As for poor multi-tasking with an A64 - I've read some of that too. Really makes me wonder about the set-up and context.

GPS?? What are you looking for? I got myself a Garmin iQue 3600 for Xmas & love it!! I travel a bunch and it really takes a lot of the planning burden off, let alone getting there.

considering you are running a barton at >2.4ghz right now I'd hold on to your cash and see what the 939FX's are going to be like :D

both of your rigs are basically top of line atm.

Is your gaming preformance realyl taking that big of a hit?

please don't tell me you guys can't run everything max detail and really high aa and af.

Multitasking problems with A64? None here. It owns photoshop like a mofo, games run super fast, its great and I love it. I went from a 2500+ @ stock speeds to a 3000+ @ 2400mhz and there is a noticeable difference.

Somehow I've managed to have a life and fit in this sick hobby. I don't know how I do it. I do have balls though, I have my computers open at times, parts hanging out when testing and I have my 10 month old running loose through the area. I haven't become too familiar with the models of GPS but the Garmin is one of my choices. I have my work cut out for me there. I can't say my gaming performance is suffering. I can play NFSU at 1280x1024 4x AA and 8xAF and its pretty smooth most of the time. I want that A64 but I don't think I'll bother just yet. I'm wondering if I should still get an audigy2 card though. I'll try to find some benchmarks, I can't remember if there was a performance hit with the Audigy vs Soundstorm.

Tesfaye

Yeah ReD DrakE, I want to see what those chips can do. If the FX's are price through the roof, I don't know if Ill be a buyer. I remember reading that there will only be one model of the FX type available at a time. I could be wrong. Well, the week is almost up so Ill worry about this chip thing at a later time. It's bad enough [H] shows the A64 whupping the Intel 3.2ghz while other sites are showing mixed results and one (can't remember where I read it) the a64 didn't do too well against the Intel chips. I'll just wait for the rest of my parts to come in so I can rebuild this machine.

Tesfaye

For the curious the parts are: Logitech DiNuvo Buetooth Mouse & Keyboard, Western Digital 2500JD SATA driver to replace the 120 thats in there, CoolerMaster Wave master with Side panel 92mm blowhole, Panaflow High Performance fans, Vantec fan and psu silent mounts, and oh yeah a pair of nifty Logitech 2.4 ghz controllers. I really hate the wire clutter.

I have no multi-tasking problems with my 3000+ super smooth in everything but im upgrading from a 1600+ so ya :p

How is the overlclocking with that 3000+ chip? Have you tried? Are you using the Cool and Quiet feature? I really like that idea and I may upgrade just to have it. I like the idea of desktop acting as a laptop and slowing the cpu speed and fans when its not doing anything. I have a small jet plane under my desk right now and its annoying that the noise level is so high and Im doing nothing but typing. Anyone here care to comment on that Cool N Quiet feature?

Thanks,
Tesfaye

The cool and quiet feature is awesome. My PSU fans and CPU fan slow down to a virtually noiseless system when I have it enabled.

As for multitasking, I to must be a lucky person. I have had absolutely no problems with my system. The other night I burned a DVD while playing Halo and didn't notice any difference while playing.

As for overclocking, I can only run my chip at 2150mhz (3000+) as my AIW 9600 Pro doesn't like going about 72mhz AGP speed and there's no AGP/PCI lock on my K8V Deluxe. That's at stock voltage with the factory cooler to boot. I can boot into Windows and run cpu benchmarks @2200 mhz with stock voltage/cooling, but I can't run any 3d apps (they just crash back to the desktop).

So that means I have to find a board that locks the AGP bus. I think the MSI K8T-Neo does that. I wonder how much a swiftech cooler would run for a socket 754(?) chip. I can't remember the last time I had to burn a dvd or cd and felt the need to play a game at the same time. Awesome that you can do that though!

rofl. Who in the hell is perpetuating that rumor the A64 is poor at multitasking. I own all 3, An AXP([email protected] on DFI infinity at 235fsb) a P4 [email protected] on IS7(modded), and now 2 A64's(well only one up now, but have both cpus-a 3400+ and a 3200+). My A64 flies in windows, faster than my P4 I believe. Personally, I don't think the P4 is very fast in windows. My AXP seems faster in windows to me at least. Don't get me wrong I like My P4 too, this is just my observation. The A64's simply pwn in games though. Simply put, they are heads and tails above my P4 and AXP in 3d benching. Any of my rigs will play any of the titles I play fine at max details etc... So in effect the A64 is a waste of power, but I don't care b/c I want fast, just to have it.

In 3DMark2001SE my aircooled 3400+@2380mhz beat my old [email protected] by about 600-800marks. Once I'm prometia cooled on my A64 probably another 2k or so marks and about 200-400mhz faster :).

The biggest drawback I see to the A64's aside from price(if you looking at AXP's, if you looking at INtel I don't consider price a factor b/c they are about the same and A64 is faster) is the mobo's out now are just ok, not great. There are some great freaking 865/875 intel boards, and some great AXP boards. The A64 boards out now don't have pci lock, the NF3 has agp lock but only 600mhz HT, while the via has full 800mhz HT but won't oc much past 220-230mhz especially with an ATI card in there. The Shuttle AN50R is probably the best A64 board out now, good features, easy to mod and runs crazy high fsb's.

I have an FX-51 and it is very poor at multi-tasking. Sure, it absolutely flies when left alone with a single app or when generally running a few non-intensive apps (mp3 playing, burning a CD/DVD etc and browsing). Load it up though with a 3D render or convert 40x .ape's to .mp3 and then try opening your browser.....it takes 30-60 seconds! Then try replying to a forum post - I can be a good 7 seconds ahead of my text appearing on screen. This was never a problem for my P4C even at it's stock speed.

Maybe I have a different sense of what's fast having owned a string of dual 2GHz+ AMD boxen before the P4? That being the case, the P4C excels at remaining responsive under load whereas my FX-51 looks like it has locked-up at times. No doubt I'll get called an Intel fanboy even though I splashed down a large amount of cash for this FX, SK8V and 1GB Reg RAM :rolleyes:...believe me, I call it how I see it and I have no need to defend a product just because I bought it.

That sounds like something (probably windows) is BROKEN... Not a characteristic of the CPU.

As for the original poster, I'd stick with your current Athlon for a while longer. The only game you're complaining about (Halo) seems to be graphics card limited, anyway, from what I've seen and read... And you can't get a significantly faster card right now, anyway.

Does that Shuttle board support the Cool N Quiet feature? That is more really important to me over overclocking. Woah, did I just type that? I can't worry about over clocking if the gain isn't going to be too much and from the looks of things those 3400+ chips aren't monster overclockers. I'm not going to worry about a 150mhz overclock. Who here has a 3400+ and a decent overclock? Oh yeah, I thought ATI boards didn't mind high FSB speeds.

ra-odin "As for the original poster, I'd stick with your current Athlon for a while longer. The only game you're complaining about (Halo) seems to be graphics card limited, anyway,"

But dude, it's got that nifty cool 'n' quiet feature! :D

Damnit, why couldn't the AXP have that feature? I'd love to drop the clockspeed and fan speed on this machine. Anyone in Staten Island that wouldn't mind giving a demo of thier A64 machine?

Tesfaye

How many mobo makers actually support the Cool and Quiet feature? It's idea seems great but I don't see A64 mobo makers throwing themselves onboard.

Yeah, while doing Blackberry upgrades this evening at work I decided not to jump on the A64 bandwagon. I'll hold off for a little bit and see whats in store later on this year. Right now I need to return these damn Mushkin sticks because Im experiencing REALLY flakey performance. I went back to my Corsair ram and everything is fine. Oh well.

Thanks guys! Wish me luck on my RMA, I bought the ram from Newegg so I should be ok.

Tesfaye

Originally posted by ra-odin
That sounds like something (probably windows) is BROKEN... Not a characteristic of the CPU.

umm, how exactly does it sound like windows is broken? You have to be delusional to think an A64 at any speed can be faster than a P4 at multitasking. maybe you actually need to own both systems before you can make comments like this

Lot's of great replys.....maybe I'll hang in there for a 939.

I sure hate the idea of running Intel. Guilty conscience, I guess. :eek:

I wanna upgrade this spring. Judging by my system specs, it looks to me like it's about time. Do you guys think there will be stable boards out by then? What chip(s) should I be watching for?

Originally posted by Mojo
I wanna upgrade this spring. Judging by my system specs, it looks to me like it's about time. Do you guys think there will be stable boards out by then? What chip(s) should I be watching for?

Two words. San Diego. It's going to be out a little later than spring, but it will be worth the wait.

Socket 939, Dual channel, .09 Micron, 1MB cache, 2Ghz HT bus. 2.5Ghz+ when overclocked.

Nough said.

Matt.

Originally posted by SnakEyez187
umm, how exactly does it sound like windows is broken? You have to be delusional to think an A64 at any speed can be faster than a P4 at multitasking. maybe you actually need to own both systems before you can make comments like this

Thanks for your opinion, but taking 30-60 seconds for his browser to open and 7 seconds for text to appear as he types it, sounds like something is BROKEN. I've never had anything like that happen on my current XP (or any Intel machine I've used) even under extremely heavy loads.

I never said that an Athlon 64 FX should multitask as well or better than a P4 with HT... I said if it takes 30-60 seconds for your browser to open, there's something more than just poor multitasking because of the CPU going on.

Either he's exaggerating horribly, or something is quite wrong with his system, and its not the choice of CPU.

Back