I ran into Kyles favorite brand of HD today!

DonDon

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all.

I got called up to the Cardiac Cath Lab at the hospital that I work at today to figure out why they could not transfer images from an xray system over to a DICOM network for permanent storage and retrieval. I found there was an interface PC between the xray system and the DICOM network with a BSOD on it. I tried to boot the system a couple of times and found it would intermitantly die again. I opened up the box, and to my surprise, what do I find???

AN IBM DESKSTAR (DEATHSTAR) 10 GIG DRIVE!

Oh yea. Happy day. I believe Kyle here has had alot of really nice things to say about IBM's hard drives.

I dragged it down to my test system on my bench and tried Hitachi's diagnostics and found, if it would stay running for a bit, it would complete fine. But the damn thing would just quit reading randomly.

I'm now trying to ghost the damn thing to another drive as I found out that we do not have any setup info on this system and will have to spend thousands of dollars to have Siemens come out and rebuild the software on the system. I'm on my third attempt, and it's the best 1 yet, but I just ginxed myself so it will probably crap out now too.

Oh joy, it says it cloned OK. To bad Siemens. Better luck next time.

Don

Hey, don't knock the DeathStar. I've got one in this rig that has been going strong since they came out. Its a 30Gig 75GXP, and has out lasted a WD 800JB and a Seagate 7200.7 that both died in this box.

The Deskstar 10 gig is not the "Deathstar" (75GXP & some 60GXP models).

Originally posted by tdg

Actually, their 10GB drives had issue too. But because of the size, it was not very publicized

Actually, their 10GB drives had issue too. But because of the size, it was not very publicized

Ok, I stand corrected, sort of. :p I didn't follow the original details that closely. I mainly see Western Digital and Quantum/Maxtor drives. My first run in with an IBM IDE hard drive is with a dead Deskstar, so assumed the whole model line was problematic after hearing Kyle rant about them so often.

L8R

Don

Originally posted by DeepFreeze

the smallest 75GXP drive i've ever seen is a 15 Gig. are you sure there was a 10GB as well?

Hello again.

My 10 GIG Deathstar drive is model # IC35L010AVER07-0 with a part number of 07N7401 and was built in June 2001. It's been in use for a little over a year.

Apparantly it is not one of the REALLY bad Deathstar drives.

Anyway, I replaced it with a Western Digital 20 GIG drive after freezing the IBM drive allowed me to get it to run long enough to ghost it.

L8R

Don

I really do wonder what exactly is the failure rate of the Deathstars. I've had my two running for about two years straight now (in raid 0 too :) ).

Ive got 2 10 gig IBM Deskstars WORKING here, probaby about 5 years old by now. These drives did not have the problems that the larger models are known for.

I started off with 8 of the 40gig versions, I'm down to 2 working. And no, it's not becuase of my cooling or anything else. I have WD drives that have been in there longer than those.

as mentioned, that model of IBM drive was quite fine and not the notorious high failure ones.

but after the DeathStar disaster ive been with, which will make me NOT buying any of their HDDs again.

A fresh drive out from the box could fail in an hour..didnt even finish installing my OS.. click.. click..ewww...weee... ok it might be an old drive(RMA unit returned with a repaired one). but im not expecting it could fail again in such short amount of time..

Back