I purchased the cheapest 1080 Ti I could find

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
s-l500.jpg

I took a shot and I purchased an ASUS TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G from Newegg off eBay for $639. I wanted to buy an FE blower model anyways, and although this one is slightly modified, I'm pretty impressed with it.

I was hesitant to purchase one because of the mixed reviews it received on Newegg. It runs at reasonable temps at load (~72C) and the core overclocks 175, the memory 425. Not bad.

The only drawback is the fan is a bit loud, which is par for the course for blower style fans.

Eventually I'll probably buy a 2nd and consider modifying the cooling.

I do find it odd they bothered changing the design of the stock blower style FE fan. Can anyone explain this?

I was on my way to buy same card and walked out with strix instead.

Only reason i didnt get it, it's not a reference board (good thing) no waterblocks available (bad thing).

s-l500.jpg

I took a shot and I purchased an ASUS TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G from Newegg off eBay for $639. I wanted to buy an FE blower model anyways, and although this one is slightly modified, I'm pretty impressed with it.

I was hesitant to purchase one because of the mixed reviews it received on Newegg. It runs at reasonable temps at load (~72C) and the core overclocks 175, the memory 425. Not bad.

The only drawback is the fan is a bit loud, which is par for the course for blower style fans.

I do find it odd they bothered changing the design of the stock blower style FE fan. Can anyone explain this?
The whole cooling assembly on the FE is heavy, made almost entirely of aluminum. This one is made of plastic. Like Kazeohin said, they probably saved a buck.

On a side note: after replacing the FE cooler on my Titan X I noticed it must weigh twice as much as the one from my GTX Titan X, which included the use of a magnesium alloy.

I ended up buying NZXT's G12 and Corsair's H50 to add liquid cooling to it, which dropped the temps almost in half. So, in the end, I ended up sinking $100 more (after shipping and taxes) just to cool the card.

Someone on Newegg said they were able to modify the card so it is doable. I'll see how hot it gets once I add a 2nd card. Right now it tops out ~72C which is pretty good. My non-reference EVGA 980Ti ACX's were much hotter than that.

Also, for some reason I've noticed raising the voltage does absolutely nothing. Anyone know why? I've never experienced this before.

Last edited:
I almost bought that card with the intent to put an accelero iv on it. Would have come in at $700 tho, didn't make sense when the custom cooled cards are like $720. Still pissed at myself for not jumping on the xlr8 card when it was $639.

I almost bought that card with the intent to put an accelero iv on it. Would have come in at $700 tho, didn't make sense when the custom cooled cards are like $720. Still pissed at myself for not jumping on the xlr8 card when it was $639.

I realize Newegg has some of the custom cooled cards on sale at times, but I wanted a blower style fan anyways. They had a reference FE PNY on sale for $10 more. I thought I'd give this one a shot. It's not bad for what it is. If it comes down to it I can still modify it.

That seems pretty sensible given that these GPUs kind of top out at the same clocks no matter what people do.

I'll be honest, a big part of my 1080 Ti purchase boiled down to aesthetics (I liked MSI's black and red thing) but it's really iffy in terms of whether that's worth an extra $100 over a blower.

Great price. I just picked up an ASUS 1080ti FE from Microcenter for $669 (free Destiny 2).

It was tricky getting a stable clock but I finally managed a rock steady 1924MHz with stock voltage and a manual fan curve holding steady at 70% on full usage. I can easily tolerate the fan noise at 70% so I'm glad I didn't pony up the additional $50-$100 for a custom card.

Back