I ordered Seasonic S12II-620 620W, bad choice?

Return the PSU?

• YES

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • NO

Votes: 32 94.1%

• Total voters

Esthreel

n00b
My specs:
AMD FX-8120 with ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 Premium cooler
Asus M5A99X EVO mobo
Crucial m4 64gb SSD
2TB samsung HD204UI HDD
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM
MSI R6870 hawk VGA

I have been using Chieftec 550w PSU. (GPS-550AB, not 80+), but I think it stops me from OCing higher, plus it makes a rattle noise sometimes (it is 4 years old).
So Seasonic being a great PSU brand I ordered one, but now I think I should have read some reviews. The 12V is not very stable, and it uses old design. I wrote a letter to cancel, but it has already been shipped. If I want to return it I have to pay for shipping both ways.
Should I do that? Would Corsair 650TX had been a better choice?
I am planning to OC EVERYTHING, CPU, RAM, VGA. No plans for crossfire.
Thanks.

I had the same PSU in my system before upgrading to a modular version. It was running everything in my sig without a glitch.

Single GPU setup - no sweat, regardless how much you OC what you have.

But if you could chose between this and corsair TX650 V2? You would still go for Seasonic?
The prices are the same at 110 USD (I don't live in the USA)

I'd still go for Seasonic. They make Corsair's PSUs.

So you don't think that a dedicated single +12V rail is a big plus?

Rail count is rather irrelevant in real life. It is just something PSU companies advertise to try and sell more units.

Yes it was on May 18, 2010...

The Antec Signature 850w, for example, is still a good PSU, too. Even though the review is a few years old.
PSU quality doesn't go DOWN with time. So you can't say that a 1.5 year old review is obsolete..

What really matters is if certain features get replaced at better price points or not. Older PSU's are still very worth buying, provided the price drops to compete.

Rail count is rather irrelevant in real life. It is just something PSU companies advertise to try and sell more units.

Agreed. Though mine is a Seasonic dual-rail 850W PSU, I've had it for 3 years and its performed spectacularly the entire time. 5GhZ on my 2600K with 975MhZ on 2x Radeon 6870s now, and 3.7GhZ on my X3 720BE with some decently high OC I can't remember on my 2x Radeon 5770s. The quality of the PSUs Seasonic make is top-notch.

The psu you ordered is essentially the same as a Antec Neo 620c and will be good for your rig, particularly compared to that chieftec garbage.

To correct a false statement above, Seasonic does NOT make the TX series for Corsair, those as CWT units but decent psu's.

Seasonic is a geeat brand and even their older stuff will still serve you well, I have a five year old PCP&C 750w silencer with Seasonic internals that happily powers a 2600k/GTX 470 system.

You will be fine. The seasonic is head and shoulders above the cheiftech. Hell i still have my corsair hx 620 powering my intel 2500k and 580 gtx rig. Its several years old and guess what its made by seasonic. :D

You will be fine.

If you bought it for the right price, or there are costs in returning, keep it. Seasonic is highly reputable, and they don't degrade their quality over time. What was written one and a half years ago is still relevant today.

As said, Seasonic makes SOME, not ALL of Corsair's power supplies.

The psu you ordered is essentially the same as a Antec Neo 620c and will be good for your rig, particularly compared to that chieftec garbage.

To correct a false statement above, Seasonic does NOT make the TX series for Corsair, those as CWT units but decent psu's.

Seasonic is a geeat brand and even their older stuff will still serve you well, I have a five year old PCP&C 750w silencer with Seasonic internals that happily powers a 2600k/GTX 470 system.

seasonic makes the ax 650-850 and tx 650/hx650 and the newer txV2's for corsair

cwt makes the txm and the older tx 550,750.850,950 and hx 1000/1050 hx 750,hx850 for corsair

and yes the 620 is pretty decent no reason to return it

I have a 650watt seasonic powering the rig in my sig. It's been running great for the past 4-5 years through incremental upgrades. I see no reason to send back a seasonic. They make some of the best PSUs on the market.

I got in touch with the retailer again, they agreed to charge me nothing if I buy another one (not just return this one) So I am getting TX650 V2. Yes S12II-620 is still a rock solid PSU, but for I think TX650 was a better deal for 110 USD. I also ordered Silencio 550 case. The build is coming together nicely. Thanks again everyone, hard forums is a great community.

Last edited:
seasonic makes the ax 650-850 and tx 650/hx650 and the newer txV2's for corsair

cwt makes the txm and the older tx 550,750.850,950 and hx 1000/1050 hx 750,hx850 for corsair

and yes the 620 is pretty decent no reason to return it

Actually, with the first-gen TX650, early production units were Seasonic-built. But later revisions of that PSU were made by CWT (those PSUs were labeled TX650C even though there is no "C" indication on the box).

Eeeps. Yeah, at full price, you can probably get something better.

I just ordered one for a productivity upgrade to a family computer and can't say anything bad about it.
  • Whisper-quiet (got this design over alternatives due to the coil whine issues)
  • Plenty of connectors
  • Works fine

Only gripe is that it isn't modular: but then, I didn't want to pay for modular... so that's that.

Fwiw, I hopped on the Newegg deal (expired) that came out to $60 shipped.

401042_10150579864332886_614302885_9294958_597284780_n.jpg

Complete :)
The case fans has VERY poor performance, max speed is about 500 RPM, I will be replacing those.
Plus one has some annoying glug glug glug sound...
Do you have any suggestions for few not expensive, but good 120mm fans?

Coolermaster R4 fans, but you will want a fan controller on them to tone them down when you don't need the cooling power. Also Yate Loons would work.

Nice looking build with a very nice PSU. Congrats.

What Tsumi said, the Coolermaster R4s are pretty good and favored around these forums.

Back