I/O Magic 16x DVD+-RW - any reviews/experience/info?

Kuo

Gawd
Hey,

Picked this drive up from Staples during Black Friday. I/O Magic Internval DVD+-RW/+-R 16x Dual Format Double Layer burner. It's 40 bucks after rebate and such. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about this drive. How reliable it is, etc. I already have a 8x NEC DVD Burner (in my profile), so my question is if this drive is worth the 40 dollars to replace my NEC Burner. Whether or not it's worth the 40 dollars thus becomes how reliable it is. Of course 16x > 8x, but most of my media is only rated 8x anyway. I've tested my NEC and media extensively already, and it's worked on any stand-alone or computer dvd player so far, so I know it works. So now i'm wondering if anyone has read reviews or have person experience w/ the i/o magic drive. If it's not so reliable, I'll probably return it.

Thanks.

Well, I/OMagic doesn't actually manufacture that drive - they just slap their name on the box containing the drive.

And the drive itself could have been made by anyone - even by some companies that aren't so reputable as DVD burner makers.

So are you saying each I/O Magic drive could be different? and therefore there's no way of me telling if it's a good drive or not until I open it and try it out myself?

Yep, exactly. It's probably a Benq 1620 though, nice drive. Lemme check up on it for you.

It's either a Benq DW1620 or a BTC. It should say right on the top label.

If it's a Benq, buy it straight away! If it's a BTC, avoid it like the plague.

I bought one of these drives and it's a BenQ 1620A. I have also heard that some are BTCs, so it's pretty hit-or-miss whether you get the good BenQ or the horrib BTC.

Back