• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I/O Errors on reads?

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
4,916
My computer keeps throwing out I/O error messages when I try to open/copy files that I create on the machine. I'm pretty sure it's a hard drive problem but i'm not sure if it's fixable. I've already tried a full checkdisk scan, and it didn't stop the errors. What can I do to fix this without replacing the drive? Thanks.
 
What can I do to fix this without replacing the drive?

Probably nothing. However the that would depend on what is wrong with the drive. Fortunately all drives now (for the last decade or so) keep a table of parameters called SMART that record failure situations ...

Lets start with seeing if the drive is bad in the first place.
Use CrystalDiskInfo and see if the drive thinks it is bad..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
 
Okay I ran CrystalDiskInfo, and It's got a Yellow Caution for "current pending sector count".
Current-200
Worst-200
Threshold-0

So What do I do? Is there any hope of saving her?
 
Last edited:
I couldn't figure out how to get badblocks to run, however I tried the repair utility from Western Digital, but whenever I try to repair the drive with it, it says repair failed. Ugh, I guess I need to get a new hard drive. This one is only 2 years old, its a shame it's died already.
 
This one is only 2 years old, its a shame it's died already.

It happens. The expectation is 2% to 8% annual failure rate for the first 5 years for SATA drives. This is totally in line with my experience at work. Since it's two years it should be under warranty.
 
Back
Top