• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I need your advice regarding dell PC

ClassicMan

n00b
Joined
Jun 11, 2018
Messages
12
Hi,

I'm just thinking to buy one of those dell PC (i3 or i5).

(i3) spec

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/sho...m-factor/spd/optiplex-3050-micro/s002o3050mff

(i5) spec

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/sho...m-factor/spd/optiplex-3050-micro/s004o3050mff

Do you think it is enough to power (i3 or i5 ) to run the following apps

basic thing in photoshop like Editing RAW Files 33MB (Average)
run web development IIS with MS SQL


Do they come with USB media for the re-installation Windows 10 Pro just in case if I want to upgrade from the HHD to SSD
 
Either will be powerful enough to run it. The question will be how fast. Is an 8000 series i5 in your budget? More cores > hyperthreading (regarding the i5 4/4 vs i3 2/4). I would suggest an i5 8000 series with 6 cores or a Ryzen 2600 with 6 cores.

You WILL want an SSD and definitely get at LEAST 16GB of RAM, 32 if you can swing it.

Last I knew, home Dells (at least in the USA) did not come with reinstall media. I think they have a utility to make a recovery disc but I've never used it.
 
Either will be powerful enough to run it. The question will be how fast. Is an 8000 series i5 in your budget? More cores > hyperthreading (regarding the i5 4/4 vs i3 2/4). I would suggest an i5 8000 series with 6 cores or a Ryzen 2600 with 6 cores.

You WILL want an SSD and definitely get at LEAST 16GB of RAM, 32 if you can swing it.

Last I knew, home Dells (at least in the USA) did not come with reinstall media. I think they have a utility to make a recovery disc but I've never used it.
He not editing 4k video. It is fine for small pictures.
 
Either will be powerful enough to run it. The question will be how fast. Is an 8000 series i5 in your budget? More cores > hyperthreading (regarding the i5 4/4 vs i3 2/4). I would suggest an i5 8000 series with 6 cores or a Ryzen 2600 with 6 cores.

You WILL want an SSD and definitely get at LEAST 16GB of RAM, 32 if you can swing it.

Last I knew, home Dells (at least in the USA) did not come with reinstall media. I think they have a utility to make a recovery disc but I've never used it.

Thanks for your advice, I will get the basic specification from the Dell for start, I'll upgrade SSD and more RAM for a cheaper price somewhere online.

I'm still concern regarding Media that I need to re-install Windows 10 rather than buying again from Windows 10 Pro USB edition.

above URL for the (i5), it only comes with 7th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-7500T mostly - I doubt if I could get away with cheaper for the i5 8000 series
 
I think your Dell will come with the OS partitioned and you won't get any media.
That being said, you can call Dell and ask them how they handle stuff like that.

The other thing you can do is simply buy a W10 key from the forums and build your own USB backup.

Generally you can find a key for really next to nothing in the For Sale forums and Microsoft has a utility for creating USB drives.

I've purchased any number of windows keys here in the For Sale and never had one lick of problems activating or running them.
 
For basic photoshop work with small images either should be fine. You may want to consider looking at models with the 8xxx series intel. The 8xxx i3 is quad core and the i5 is 6 core. (the i3 would essentially give you similar performance to the 7xxx series i5 quad core you are asking about.)
 
I think your Dell will come with the OS partitioned and you won't get any media.
That being said, you can call Dell and ask them how they handle stuff like that.

The other thing you can do is simply buy a W10 key from the forums and build your own USB backup.

Generally you can find a key for really next to nothing in the For Sale forums and Microsoft has a utility for creating USB drives.

I've purchased any number of windows keys here in the For Sale and never had one lick of problems activating or running them.

Thanks for the advice - i'll keep that in mind.
 
For basic photoshop work with small images either should be fine. You may want to consider looking at models with the 8xxx series intel. The 8xxx i3 is quad core and the i5 is 6 core. (the i3 would essentially give you similar performance to the 7xxx series i5 quad core you are asking about.)

I cannot find any model that comes in 8xxx in micro from the dell, maybe I should look at Lenovo M920Q - i3-8100T( 6MB cache, 3.10Ghz) - is that what you mean by?
 
For the re-installation you can just download Windows 10 from Microsoft using the media creation tool.

As long as you have it activated beforehand you don't need a Windows key at all. You just install and it will auto-activate once you are connected to the internet.

It is even better if you do your login via a Microsoft account as you can then transfer licenses down the road if you replace your system.
 
I cannot find any model that comes in 8xxx in micro from the dell, maybe I should look at Lenovo M920Q - i3-8100T( 6MB cache, 3.10Ghz) - is that what you mean by?

Yes, the 8100T has 4 cores while the 7100T only has 2 cores. If the prices are similar the 8100T is a much better value.
 
For the re-installation you can just download Windows 10 from Microsoft using the media creation tool.

As long as you have it activated beforehand you don't need a Windows key at all. You just install and it will auto-activate once you are connected to the internet.

It is even better if you do your login via a Microsoft account as you can then transfer licenses down the road if you replace your system.

In addition, you can make a backup of you stock install (with all the dell utilities and drivers already configured). Windows 10 has a painless utility for this.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-full-backup-windows-10
 
Last edited:
That's a great idea but this purpose is to create an image of the hard-disk but I want a clean install.

Plus I need to install IIS from Windows 10 Pro installation files.

Should be fine then. Gone are the days of Windows XP (where a laptop lacking the exact OEM drivers would BSOD on boot).
 
Back
Top