I Need Urgent Help With My External

Jager673

Limp Gawd
What its doing is it spins up once and thats it i don't hear it anymore it just goes quiet after that. The device manager sees it and i made sure it was that external by disabling it then re-enabling the device and i heard spinning of the drive. The weird part is when I go to Manage when i right click My Computer and go to Disk Management and its not there. The drive was just working 2 or 3 days ago just fine but i had to mess with it a little for it to work... Does anyone know what could be wrong? Its a 500GB "My Book" WD external. I have taken it out of the casing and hooked it up to another enclosure to see if that worked which didn't.

The drive may be dead since you already used that drive in another enclosure. However, by opening up your MyBook, you voided the warranty. So you may not be able to RMA that external.

I understand about the warranty, but is there anyway for it to read the contents of the drive and get everything back?

you could try hooking the drive up internally, but I don't know that it'd make any difference

Actually, yeah do hook up the drive internally. If it's detected by the BIOs and windows disk management, then the data might be recoverable. Also try using the Knoppix Linux Live CD and see if it can read the data on the drive. If neither Windows and Linux can't see the data, it's gone probably. Though you could try Get Data Back and see if that works.

However, if the drive is not detected at all in the BIOs, then you're SOL. That's a mechanical failure.

It doesnt show anything in BIOS or device manager. Only when its in the USB enclosure. When i put it in that and plug the USB into my other computer that has Vista i go to Disk Manage and it shows the drive as "Unreadable" but it does detect it, so its not shot. Because it does spin up fully then slows then speeds up and it does this about 3 times then it completely stops until something "wakes" it up again. When its stopped completely it still shows the drive in Manage if thats of any help.

Back