I need to upgrade my computer (HELP!)

[AK]Zip

Gawd
I haven't been doing too much gaming so I haven't kept up with computer parts much the past few years. Now that I have run into what looks to be a motherboard problem I am looking to just go ahead and upgrade the whole thing. Below is what I have now and I have no idea where to go from there.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.7GHz (270X10, 1.52v)
Mombo: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Ram: 2GB OCZ PC3200 (3-4-4-8, 2.95v)
Video: EVGA 7950GX2 (600mhz / 1.6ghz)
Sound: Audigy 2 ZS
PSU: OCZ Powerstream 470ADJ
HDD: 2 Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA (Raid 0) + other large drives for storage.

I am looking into the new i7 CPU (unless something else can be suggested). What air cooling setup should I get for the CPU? I have no idea what to do as far as motherboard or ram goes so I need a lot of help here. I know I want a nice overclocking motherboard and ram to go with the new CPU. I will keep the 7950GX2 for now until the new gen video cards come out and then I will upgrade that as well. I don't think I will be upgrading the HDD's. As for sound card if there is something worth while post up.

Now my question about the PSU. This was considered one of the best out there at the time, but is only 470watt. Do I need any more than this now a days or no?

I don't really have a budget, but I would like a nice bang for the buck setup.

I have been here for a long time now and still read daily even though I don't post much. I do appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks,
Alex

The prices of the Core 2 Duos have come donw considerably since the i7s came out and a lot of people are upgrading to the i7 and selling their used C2D gear for cheap. A good way to go would be to see who is upgrading and get a used mobo/cpu combo perhaps with memory also.

I think your PSU is a bit on the low side - you might consider an upgrade.

I did some newegg searching and here is what I have come up with.

I will not be upgrading my video card until the next gen cards come out. My hdd's are still some of the best so I am keeping them. Sound card seems to be ok unless the new cards out there are really worth it (are they?). Maybe I will try what ever card is onboard.

I am not sure if I will need to upgrade the 470watt psu or if it will still work ok since I am keeping my current video card. If it will work ok then I will keep it and upgrade once I upgrade the video card as well. If the PSU is not enough then I will need to upgrade that as well and need suggestions.

With CPU I want either an i7 920 or a Core 2 Quad of some sort (suggestions?). Ram since I am upgrading I would say 4+GB. Motherboard has to match the CPU. I need an appropriate cooler for the CPU as well.

All in all I will need the CPU, HSF, mombo, ram, and possibly the PSU.

Like I said I don't really have a budget, but lets say a max of about $1k for the stuff above. I could spend $5k even for the top of the line everything, but I simply don't see the need since I won't use it.

I already own XP (32bit) and Vista (64bit) so I don't need a new OS.

I do game here and there (1680X1050) though some of the new games are 100% unplayable on my current setup due to running a single core. I do a bit of Photoshop editing. Some video editing though pretty rare. No 3D stuff at all.

Let me know what u suggest.

Save for the case, hard drives, and optical (CD/DVD) drive(s), you might as well replace everything else. (The onboard sound on today's boards are good enough -- plus they have digital outputs -- that you may not need the Audigy 2 ZS.) Fortunately, you can easily make a complete build, minus OS, for under $1000.

As for a Core i7 build:

$300 - EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 Intel X58 ATX motherboard (free shipping)
$295 - Intel Core i7 920 (free shipping)
$67 - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU cooler
$175 - G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 1600 tri-channel kit (free shipping)
$123 - BFG Tech ES-800 800W power supply (free shipping)

This above build is most likely overkill for your needs, but with overclocking in mind, the EVGA board is one of the better options. If you don't need all of the features that the board provides -- like, are you really going to use CrossFire or SLI (which is best for high visual settings on a 1920x1200 or greater resolution)? -- you could go with a cheaper board, like the MSI X58 Platinum.

Depending on the video card that you end up getting, you could also switch out the power supply for a cheaper/less powerful version. But the ES-800 can handle nearly anything you could throw at it, and, as far as power supplies go, it won't cost you an arm or a leg.

Depending on your needs, a Core 2-based build could easily get the job done for much less. (Just use the parts that I've linked to for best results.) As a heads-up, the 1GB HD4870 and the GTX 260 Core 216 both outperform your 7950GX2... for most games, at the resolution you're using, you won't need anything more than one of those two cards.

Mombo and cpu looks good. As for the CPU cooler is that the best one out there right now for the 1366 to overclock with?

I have no experience with G.Skill. I assume they are good? Is this better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

I am currently running 1680X1050, but will upgrade once I swap out to a desk that support a larger screen. Probably in 3-4 months.

No MSI boards for me. I have had problems with their previous boards and got hardly any support from them. It ended up being Newegg helping me out.

As far as what I need. I just need something to get me back up and running. Sure I can just buy a new motherboard and call it a day, but I honestly am getting tired of this slower computer and would like something which can do more things at the same time. This is what pushed me into upgrading into a quad core regardless if it is Core 2 Quad or i7 based.

With the newest video cards I will just wait it out until Summer and buy then I will probably grab what ever is top of the line then as long as it is reasonable in price like the current new nvidia card coming out.

The Noctual NH-U12P is one of the best heatsinks around, period. It's often priced a bit less than the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme heatsink.

The Corsair Dominators are overpriced. The G.Skill set will perform just as well for much less. (I'll put it this way: Look at my sig.)

Which monitor did you have in mind?

I only threw out the MSI X58 Platinum as an option, not a recommendation. Asus, DFI, and Gigabyte all make X58 boards for various budgets. But you should check for a few (non-NewEgg) reviews before settling on a motherboard.

I gave you options for a Core 2 and a Core i7 build in my earlier post. At stock speeds, a Core i7 system is around 15% faster than a Core 2 build in most tasks. (For gaming, the video card often has more of an impact than the processor.) It's up to you how much you want to spend now -- either setup could last you a few years.

I don't really have a monitor in mind. I have a 21in now and will be get a 24in or larger as my upgrade once I am ready. I appreciate the suggestion with the memory.

As of now I will probably just go i7 and call it a day. I can't just sit around and look for deals since I need a computer to get me back up and running since I do use it for work. I was forced into my laptop now which I use while I travel, but I much prefer a desktop.

Back