I need to record a telephone conversation

ryanjg11

Gawd
What is the best method to record a telephone conversation? I need it to be in a digital file, like WAV.

Originally posted by Syphon Filter
get a modem, and use ur PC as the phone

^^ what he said. Or, if your phone has an output on the headset, run a line from that to your computer's soundcard input, and from the soundcard's output back to a headset. When you want to record, just use Windows built in "sound recorder" program, found under Accessories.

A side note: depending on the reason for doing so, if it could turn into a legal matter, go learn the laws about it in your area. Sometimes/some places, you are required to inform the other person he/she is being recorded, in order for it to be used legally.

Originally posted by Badger_sly
Sometimes/some places, you are required to inform the other person he/she is being recorded, in order for it to be used legally.

I worked at a radio station and anytime we called somebody, we had to tell them they were on the air or being recorded. But the law doesn't say they have to agree to it verbally or that you have to verify they understood you. Plus nobody expects that to be the first thing said, so selective thinking takes over like 90% of the time.

Typical calls went like:

Callee: Hello
Me: youareontheair
or
Me: youarebeingrecorded
Callee: Huh? Hello?
Me: Hi!

My friend used a piece of software called Modem Spy along with his voice modem to record phone conversations at his house. It worked decently on incomming calls, but to catch outgoing calls it had to check the line every so often which led some calls not comming through if the software was checking the line at the same time and clicking noises if it picked up while you were on the phone. Also, call waiting would not work when the modem was listening to a call. It had the option to tell the people on the phone they were being recorded, or not and go into stealth mode, being not visable in taskbar.

Radio Shack sells a taperecorder that goes between your phone line and your phone. Try spy stores also. You could use the modem in a computer, and talk with a microphone.

Originally posted by XorSystem
hahahah

Wondernerd, that's shady.... funny as hell but shady

no, thats business. :) Sales people use the exact same techniques...

"due to quality control reasons, or for sheer amusment, these calls may be taped, and possibly rebrodcasted. So don't say anything stupid" <as fast as you can possibly say it>

If you want to do it really chep just get a speakerphone and a mic.

I agree with the guy that said to get the recorder from RadioShack. We got one a few years back, and it works great. It detects when the phone is taken off the hook, starts recording to a tape, and turns off once the phone is hung up.

It shouldn't be hard at all to get it off the tape and onto a .wav file.

I have the Radio shack one. What we do is just have the recorder go right into a computer via MINI cable (same as mic connector) and then once u call jus hit record in sound recorder, or any other program. Works great...;)

This call may be recorded for quality purposes (I think I hear that every time I call a company for service ) :D

Back