• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I need to go WC..

slaya

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
1,132
Hey, my main computer is SOOO LOUD i'm beginning to stop using it, I don't evan know why it is so loud I have NO case fans, the only fans I have are PSU fans (Antec SL350), CPU Fan (some cheap Duron fan, which isn't too loud), NB fan (Abit NF7-S), and GPU fan (GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb DDR).

I'm going to buy a Mobile Barton and overclock so I want WC for that and the quietness.. Since I am new I want something I can play around with and not worry about if I break it that i'm out $300, so I want someting cheap for around $150, if possible I would like the cool my NB and GPU since they are pretty loud together. I have been looking around and everything is pretty expensive, I got a few parts...

Dtek Spir@l $25.00 http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22
JR-120 Hi Performance $35.00 http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=103
Need Fan $10.00
ViaAqua 1300 $13.60 http://amekaaquatics.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=VA1300&Category_Code=Pumps_Via_Aqua
Tygon 5' $13.25 http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=93
Resevoir Bottle $- Already have

Total $96.85


Thats all I got so far.... can you all help me fill up the rest of the stuff? or comment on the current stuff

Thanks :) SlaYa
 
...duh...but a 30dB fan will definetly be quieter than the fans I have now, especially since it would be a 120mm fan and not the small high pitched fans that are in there now..
 
Ok, I have updatd the list..

Would this setup with a 120MM 90CFM fan bring me better cooling than a Thermelright SP97 with a 92MM 90CFM fan?
 
Yes, it's almost impossible to build a WCing setup that is not more effective than air cooling...
 
*cough* Koolance *cough*

I'm not trying to hate on koolance, but I've owned one and it got out cooled by my zalman flower heatsink. Pretty much any off the shelf watercooling unit will cool at MOST marginally better than decent air cooling, and in many cases, can be beaten by higher end air cooling.
 
Basically you get what you pay for. I would recomend dropping the extra cash and get a kit from a good dealer like DangerDen or someplace comparable. And trust me, the worst thing you can do is screw up the hoses, which are cheap to replace. The waterblocks and pump are pretty hard to goof up unless you actually try to.
 
Those kits are WAY out of my range, and I would preffer to get a custom setup rather than a kit..

Anyone have any comments on my parts?
 
I have a 3 QTS. 5.4 FL.OZ Heineken bottle which I would like to use as the resevoir, If I use that is my pump too fast? too slow? fine?? not sure if it matters... Would a 90CFM fan be sufficient on my radiator?
 
i dont do watercooling but i read about the basics all the time. your setup is something id be comfortable starting with. you got a decent block, 300+ GPH pump, normal lookin radiator and 90 CFM from your fan is plenty. you'll want to construct a shroud to lift the fan off the rad a bit and point it away, to suck air through (gets rid of the dead space under the hub and in the corners), and make sure you got a fairly airtight seal between it and the rad. also, i think 3/8 tubing is the most common.

but you should know a 120mm fan at 90 CFM is not quiet. you shouldnt be able to find one that moves that air at much less than 50dB. though 50 dB from a 120mm is a lot more bearable than from a 80/92mm-- its more of a low humming sound than a screaming whirrrrrrr.
 
btw, if you ever want to get crazy with a big ass heatercore from some old hoopty, you could put some 172mm's on it running at very low speed, still with good air movement.

h_2_o just designed me a dual 24v 172mm Papst setup for my case. these things move 200+ CFM (i think 250 actually) at about 55dB. at 12v (half speed) they still make serious wind with hardly any sound at all.

so if you want silent but effective, try out a project like that.
 
Well, first a question: Do you want parts that were designed for Watercooling, or do you want the best parts?

Pure W/C:
Aqua Computer. Definetely. I think S&T systems resells them in the States.
Take their cuplex evo waterblock, an eheim ump (or their Aquapump model, with rpm monitoring and water temp sensor) and the Airplex Evo 240 rad (for 2 120mm fans). You don't need a res or somesuch.

If you want the best_ parts, look for a 93 Volkswagen Passat heatercore. I have this hanging in my room, it needs no fans to cool an Athlon xp 2k+ @ 2.1 ghz, the chipset, a radeon 9800, and the 120gig raptor.
 
Originally posted by Little Grabbi
Well, first a question: Do you want parts that were designed for Watercooling, or do you want the best parts?

Pure W/C:
Aqua Computer. Definetely. I think S&T systems resells them in the States.
Take their cuplex evo waterblock, an eheim ump (or their Aquapump model, with rpm monitoring and water temp sensor) and the Airplex Evo 240 rad (for 2 120mm fans). You don't need a res or somesuch.

If you want the best_ parts, look for a 93 Volkswagen Passat heatercore. I have this hanging in my room, it needs no fans to cool an Athlon xp 2k+ @ 2.1 ghz, the chipset, a radeon 9800, and the 120gig raptor.

Well I am on a $100-150~ budget, and from what I see that heatercore is $200, unless I am looking at the wrong one..

http://www2.autopartsauthority.com/parts/autopartsauthority/wizard.jsp?year=1993&make=VW&model=PAS--001&category=G&&part=Radiator
 
If your looking to put that in a case.. than it is the wrong one. Usually they look at heatercores which are around $17-20. Probably more around the size 130mm X 260mm.
 
I can fit a 6 1/2" x 6" x 8 1/2" (LXWXH) Radiator, I would like to this this space to fit in a larger radiator, would this require more fans?

Anyone know of any that fit my size range and are cheap?
 
Originally posted by Little Grabbi
Oh, you're trying to buy new one... nope, that never works. Try the local scrap yard/ auto shop

Why doesn't that ever work?

p.s: I was talking to you on your ICQ while you replied to my thread.. so thats where I know you from!!
 
Originally posted by Little Grabbi
Oh, you're trying to buy new one... nope, that never works. Try the local scrap yard/ auto shop

wtf?

You can buy new heatercores at many online stores and almost all auto parts stores. Tell us what case you have so we know how much room you have, and someone will probably have experience with a good heatercore for your setup.
 
I would stay with air.

zalman 7000 alcu
fortron psu w/120mm fan
zalman chipset heatsink
zalman heatpipe vga cooler
case with 120mm exhaust
 
i recently did the same thing your doing. i found a old maze3 block in my junk box:D . i had around a hundred to spend and got the same rad, tubing, and i was considering the via but went with the 1048 enhiem. you can see a pic here http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=22316

temps are 36load 2500@3200+, and 2370mhz 2.1 volts 43-45 c depending on room temp:D
 
Yeah, you can buy online, but I prefer to have the real thing in my hands before I buy it, to see how/if it fits. I don't like relying on iven dimensions here, as they often don't inlude the hose barbs.
 
Via Aqua 1300 isn't exactly a quality pump choice. Remember, you get what you pay for. You might have to do an impeller mod like most people to make it run silent. As for tubing, get some ClearFlex 60 at www.mcmaster.com, it's under Chemical PVC tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD. Dtek Sprir@l is really out of date, just shell out a bit extra for the Dtek WW or the DD RBX. For your JR-120, don't forget to get a shroud. You can ditch the res and get a T-line if you want.
 
Thise are a little too much out of my price range, I dont want to spend so much on my first time just incase I screw up or something... maybe a Maze4 for $10 more?
 
Back
Top