I need some new tools

twyztyr

Gawd
My jigsaw shit the bed the other day, and I decided it's time to get some new stuff. I also thought about getting a new drill, since the one I use isn't even mine. I saw this combo thing at the store for $65 on sale. It looked cool, but have no idea if it's worthwhile since I don't know much about cordless stuff. I'm a little old fashioned and prefer corded power tools since I've had too many cordless tools die in the middle of a project, and corded is usually significantly cheaper.

Anyone have any advice on what I should take a look at? I'm not willing to spend a lot of cash, but I'll spend what I have to so I get the best deal.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
that combo for $65 is a decent deal, but you get what you pay for... cordless is not too good, especially if you have to spend a bit of time using it. switching batteries gets old, and batteries die and you have to get new ones, and cordless tools are usually not nearly as powerful as corded equivalents... if you are on a low bidget, this is a good deal (although keep in mind future expense of buying new batteries, and you might want to get a few more new ones anyway just to have spare ones).

i have/had this same set, and let me just say...

JUNK.

the interchangable heads have tabs to hold them into the "drill" part, but the tabs snap off, and the heads fall out while you are working with them.

the battery isn't strong enough to make complete cuts(read: finish your work) with the jigsaw head

i got a dewalt drill to replace this, and got corded jigsaw and sander.

id say either buy one thing at a time, or just be careful if you do end up getting this kit.

Just my 2 cents on cordless stuff, I dunno about tools dying in the middle of things, I always have at least 2 batteries for each of my tools, 1 is always chargin, and the other one is always charging when Im not using it, maybe because you people forget to charge your batteries, but I have never had one die on me.

Also, those cheap sets are bad, I got one for my dad a while ago, we both returned them and got a nice handsander instead. They were weak, flimsily made, and just felt bad quality.

Get all the tools sperate, You can pay upwards of $180, but you get some fantastic quality.

I generally agree with codeflux, when buying cheap cordless tools they'll be more of a hassle then they're worth. BUt if you buy a good brand (Dewalt, Mikita, Hitatchi..). I have a Dewalt 18V set and have no problems, they charge quick, last a long time and are built very well, but they will cost you a couple hundred bucks for a set...... Now with corded tools you could get away with going cheap.... I recommend Craftsman just for the sole purpose that the tools have a life time guarantee. ( I had a Craftsman drill for like 15 years and recently returned it for a new one.....)

Hate_Bot said:
Get all the tools sperate, You can pay upwards of $180, but you get some fantastic quality.

That's kind of what I was talking about when I said I'm not looking to spend a lot. $180 is pretty much out of the question. I don't really care about cordless, so I'll just most likely end up going with corded stuff after all.

Its only 12 volt so no.

EDIT: sorry anyway go to walmart and homedepot and just buy the tools saves in the long run.

zacrobmer said:
I recommend Craftsman just for the sole purpose that the tools have a life time guarantee. ( I had a Craftsman drill for like 15 years and recently returned it for a new one.....)

Please do not spread mis-information, Craftsman has a lifetime guarantee on hand tools not power tools. Even that is somewhat limited. If the wooden handle of a hammer breaks they won't replace it, only if the head is dull. They sell protection plans on power tools. But never assume you have a lifetime guarantee unless you see it on the box. That said I'd still say go to sears, they are a great place to buy tools. You'll get more help then if you went anywhere else.

kairos said:
Please do not spread mis-information, Craftsman has a lifetime guarantee on hand tools not power tools. Even that is somewhat limited. If the wooden handle of a hammer breaks they won't replace it, only if the head is dull. They sell protection plans on power tools. But never assume you have a lifetime guarantee unless you see it on the box. That said I'd still say go to sears, they are a great place to buy tools. You'll get more help then if you went anywhere else.

Guess I made out like a bandit...... Must have been a new person working the returns desk..

Qtip42 said:
cordless anything is SHIT.

That sums up the limited experience I had with them thus far.

I borrowed my sister's boyfriend's DeWalt 18V Cordless drill and it was fantastic, but not $150 fantastic.

I'll just hit one of the local Home Improvement MegaStores around here and get a jigsaw and drill and maybe some other neat toys if there's anything that looks like it'd be fun. Hell, that's the reason I've got a polesaw in the garage :D

I have a Crafstman 19.2v Cordless drill. This thing is badass. It came with 2 batteries, a charger and a few bits.

It's got Hi and Lo speed settings and adjustable torque settings from 1 to 22. It's max is 400 in. lbs. of torque and it's chewed my hand up quite a bit when it's gotten stuck. Both times while working on computer cases.

I use it from building computer cases to working on my car to random houshold stuff and I've never had the battery die in the middle of a project.

It ran me about $180 when I bought it.

I've also got a Dewalt 9v drill and it's basically a piece of shit. I have one charger and 3 batteries because they go dead just drilling a 1/4" hole through an 1/8" piece of plexiglass.

The only cordless tool a modder should have is a drill. It's the most used household tool, and cordless should be for convenience. For that matter having anything over a 14.4 volt drill is also silly. If you need more power than that, then use a corded drill, otherwise the weight to balance ratio goes to down the crapper. The idea of a cordless jig saw or any other cutting tool is just plain worthless. When are you modding where you can't plug into a wall?

The entire reason i hate cordless stuff is simply because it is a compromise. The batteries run out in a matter of minutes, the stuff you cut can easily get f'ed up by a slower moving blade, etc.

There's no reason to get a cheap corded version of anything.

Back