• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I need some emotional support please...

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
Joined
Jan 13, 2001
Messages
17,533
Well, after thinking long and hard for almost one week straight, I decided to sell my 10D with my other goodies as well which were: 24-70L f2.8, 100-400L IS and a Speedlite 420EX flash.

I decided on this because I wasnt using the camera for nothing but taking pics of my computer stuff and using it for ebay which 99% of the time I would shrink the pics down to 1024 * 768 anyways so needless to say the camera was a tad bit overkill.

so I started to advertise the camera late Sunday night and not 24 hours later, everything sold for a little over $4K which wasnt too bad considering I had like $4250 invested in the stuff. I got top dollar for my stuff because everything was like brand new.

so I just bought another Sony F717 which I think is gonna do me just fine for what I need but I'm already having DSLR withdraw as we speak. :(

someone please tell me if they know of any support groups for this kind of problem. :D
 
Well, at least you rationalized things, telling yourself that you COULD settle for a P-n-S over a D-SLR. For what you're using it for, I'd say you made the right decision, honestly.

Although, I'm glad I got rid of my F717, and it's crappy-ass proprietary memory sticks.
 
well, sometimes you just have to know when enough is enough and my time was now with the whole DSLR thing.

I mean lets face it, $4500 is alot of money to "most" people for camera equipment thats only occasionally used. and like I said in my case, when I did use it, the super-high resolution didnt mean squat to me for my ebaying stuff.

I'm sure I'll get into the DSLR scene again some day but I will promise myself that I better have a damn good reason other than just to be able to say, "oooh, looky what I got. a $5K camera setup..." :p
 
Well honestly it seems the F717 is still overkill for your needs. For ebaying stuff all you need is a quality 2mp. Or something like an S400 for when you want to pocket it and take it with you. The F717 is quite a bulky and expensive camera for non-serious photography.
 
Originally posted by Mr. Baz
Where did you sell your stuff?

Fred Miranda Forum

if you have nice equipment and need to sell it in a hurry, thats the place to go.

all my stuff (a little over $4K worth of stuff) sold in a little under 24 hours.
 
You made the right choice. 4k can buy you a lot of fun stuff (or a lot of practical stuff or someone in somolia or somewhere a lot of food, your choice) and you weren't really using it. (Though you could have offered it at cut rate prices to your [h]ard brothers :D )

It does sound awefully painful though. Look at it this way, in a few years you may feel like getting back into photography and you will have a ready made excuse for buying a new kit... Won't that be fun? Besides that DSLR prices will probably have fallen some by then so, in a sense, you'll make a profit off of the whole deal!

So anyway, feel better! You made the mature, correct choice.
 
heh, for what you are doing i think even teh 717 was a bit overkill ;)

but seriously, the 717 is a great camera, im sure you will be quite content until you can save up some money down the line to blow it on another sweet kit for no reason ;)

the one thing that always amused me about reviews of the 717 is everyone complains about the ring not being physically linked to the lens...

but on almost all the canon USM/L lenses the focus ring is also not physically attached to the lens, but electronic :rolleyes:

have fun with it :)
 
Originally posted by FLECOM
heh, for what you are doing i think even teh 717 was a bit overkill ;)


then what about the 828? :D

I just got rid of the 717 for an 828. I got an insane deal on the camera. otherwise there wouldve been no way in hell I wouldve spent $1K on that camera.
 
Originally posted by royjr

Although, I'm glad I got rid of my F717, and it's crappy-ass proprietary memory sticks.

Hey, they store pictures just like any other format. Only difference is $5-10 a stick. It's stupid, but I think it's worth it for the Zeiss lens and all that :p
 
Back
Top