I need some direction.

Scero

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new system very shortly and I'm in need of a video card recommendation for my monster. It's an Intel machine using an Asus 925X Board, with a 3.8 ghz Processor.

::Editing to mention that it needs to be a PCIe card.

I've been doing my best to research video cards throughout this past week, and I'm only succeeding in spinning myself in circles. There are SO many models out there currently. I should note, that my primary use for this card is gaming (of course). All types of games, HL2, Doom 3, WoW, RTS, RPG, you name it, I play it. I'm not overly concerned with buying a video card that will give me 5 more fps in HL2 over my other games, etc. I'm looking for something that will be the best overall performance for my rig. Also, I'd prefer not to break the bank. I'd like to spend about $400 max, but I'll go up to 500 if it's worthwhile.

I have no idea if I want to go with Nvidia or ATI, although I will never consider an SLI configuration in this machine. Originally I was looking at a 6800GT card from eVGA, but now I'm starting to look at the X850 cards, and I have no idea what to do. Currently I have a R9700Pro that I love and will be recycling, but I've had good luck with Nvidia in the past also, so I have no brand preference.

I read the stickied "Upgrade Guide" but it's a bit outdated. If those recommendations are still valid that's fine.

Please, any suggestions are welcome. Also, anything that could help me distinguish the differences between these cards that are out there right now would be great.

I would say find a cheap 6800gt...if you play all kind of games..the 6800gt is perfect for you...very good in d3d and excellent in open gl..and best price performance compared to the big boys and if ya want more...overclock it to ultra speeds and there ya go...

so...
1) great all-around cards in direct3d and opengl games
2) good price/performance ratio
3) most overclock like mad ( to ultra speeds).

Back