I need packard bell software

bob

2[H]4U
I went to Goodwill to get a 9$ monitor, and i bought a packard bell for 8.99$ as well. It had a tv tuner card built in, which was the only reason for me getting it.

I went home, opened up the case, and looked at the tuner card. ISA.... Oh well. I stuck it in my K7 amd computer, went into windows xp and it didnt find any new hardware. I went into windows 98 and it didnt detect any hardware change either.

I pulled the card out and looked at it. Its an 8-bit slot Phillips, but only 4 contacts on the slot. Im guessing it has something to do with using an onboard video controller.

I cant find ANY packard bell software anywhere at any search engine. It is a Packard bell Platimun 55. I would like to use all of the original software (Navigator, tuner card app, video conferencing, answering machine, media center...). Where can i find these things?

Very very much luck to you. IIRC, PB was bought by NEC something like 6-7yrs ago and then officially stopped all support. There are a few places that might have drivers, maybe windrivers.com, but probably nothing for what you are looking for.

What you might want to do is drop by a BBY tech bench and ask the techs if they have a restore disk for your model of PB. Some of the benches have a LOT of old software hanging around that they just don't throw out. Might be worth the few minutes.

Cheers.

Sorry, what does ISA stand for? I found Incest Survivors Anonymous and Infectious Salmon Anaemia, but those don't seem to help me understand your problem.

I looked at my old Packard Bell disks.......I dont think they'll be the same though. It was a different model, with no tv card.

Look at the board, and, failing that, the chips on the board. Packard Bell didn't make a lot of the components they used in thier machines. There's a good chance it's just some random board they stuck in there, and whoever made it might still have a driver for it. However, good luck getting a XP or Win2k driver. If you do find one it'll probably just be for 95 & 98.

zandor said:
Look at the board, and, failing that, the chips on the board. Packard Bell didn't make a lot of the components they used in thier machines. There's a good chance it's just some random board they stuck in there, and whoever made it might still have a driver for it. However, good luck getting a XP or Win2k driver. If you do find one it'll probably just be for 95 & 98.
^ ;)
try looking for an FCC number on the card to ID it
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

If the FCC number falls threw.Try the program called System credentails on this page. That is if the old system will bootup.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/pbtools.html

Here is the main page for that site. You might find something looking around there about that card.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/

The OS disks for PB are numbered also. On the back of the computer is a tag which will have the OS disk number you need. You might try an add in the FS/FT section for that disk number. Also post the disk number in this thread. I know a person with a few different PB disks laying around.

I once had a Packard bell platinum 60 that had a TV tuner card that fits your description. It was a pentium 166Mhz with an onboard 2mb S3 Virge 3d deccelerator. The tv tuner card was pretty much garbage from what I remember. Picture quality was less than optimal. After I lost the original driver disk I was never able to find another. I stopped searching a long time ago.

Back