I NEED HELP!

asguitarplaya

Limp Gawd
Okay so I'm new to gaming and the rig that I bought had a Palit GeForce GTX 260 in it.
I recently just purchased an EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2gb oc.
I'm wondering if I should stay with the 650 or buy another 260 and run both cards SLI.
Just sucks that the 650 doesn't have SLI capabilities.

what are the exact specs of your pc including power supply? and what resolution do you want to play at?

260 sli would be silly at this point. those cards are outdated in features, lack sufficient vram, and are power hungry.

why did you buy a gtx650ti if it was not going to meet your gaming needs? a gtx650ti is only about 35% faster than the old gtx260 which is not much of an upgrade from such an old card. if the rest of your system is decent and you are at 1080 then just return the gtx650ti, sell the gtx260, and buy a faster gpu.

Last edited:
Board: Asus sabertooth x58
brain: i7 quad core 950
Psu: Corsair hx 650
GPU: Evga GeForce gtx 650 ti (or whatever I should get)
Ram: 16gb ballistix sport
HDD: WD green 1tb
Monitor: Samsung syncmaster SA 300 21.5" led full HD
4x 120mm led antec fans
2x 80mm led antec fans
Corsair h100
All in a cooler master elite 430 case

what are the exact specs of your pc including power supply? and what resolution do you want to play at?

260 sli would be silly at this point. those cards are outdated in features, lack sufficient vram, and are power hungry.

why did you buy a gtx650ti if it was not going to meet your gaming needs? a gtx650ti is only about 35% faster than the old gtx260 which is not much of an upgrade from such an old card. if the rest of your system is decent and you are at 1080 then just return the gtx650ti, sell the gtx260, and buy a faster gpu.

I agree that it makes sense to get something better than a 650ti with that setup.

I do wonder why you're running a WD green drive as your main HDD though. I would have a hard time going back to a platter drive at all, I consider a good 7200 rpm the bare minimum for an OS/game drive on a gaming computer.

Just bought myself a gtx 660ti 2gb definitely can see the difference! Lol

Also I just looked up my HDD and it's a 7200. That was poor assumption on my end.
I'm looking for a SSD, but not sure what brands to look for. Never had a solid state before.
I agree that it makes sense to get something better than a 650ti with that setup.

I do wonder why you're running a WD green drive as your main HDD though. I would have a hard time going back to a platter drive at all, I consider a good 7200 rpm the bare minimum for an OS/game drive on a gaming computer.

I'm sure you'll enjoy that 660ti. Any decent 7200 rpm drive is fine, beyond that an SSD is really just a luxury item. Though like I said, it would be hard for me to go back to a platter drive for my OS/game drive at this point.

There has been some good deals on SSD's recently, there's a thread in hot deals on the 256GB Crucial M4 right now. That's the drive I have and it's been great, the Samsung 840 also gets good reviews and is newer, and I've heard good things about some of the Sandisk and Kingston drives. There's plenty of good info on the SSDs and storage forum here if you're interested.

Back