• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I need help with my 2900Pro

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
4,312
Hi. I just got a 2900Pro to see how it does. If it does well then i'll just sell my 8800GT and then save up for one massive upgrade.

So i got it last night, I put it in, booted, installed the new drivers (8.1 I think) rebooted and it's been very laggy. When I try to open ATITool it stops responding and I only get 113FPS (No AA, No AF, 1280 x 1024, high) on the steam stress test with it. I haven't had a chance to game on it but I will tonight. Anyway, it seems like it made my system really unstable and it hangs a bit. It's just very slow responding and I can tell something is wrong. I also tried the 7.something drivers. 7.14 maybe.

Another thing I noticed is that with my one Hard Drive, It seems to run slow. For instance, when I loaded to desktop I noticed a few times that it would cut to the black screen for a few secs and have that black cursor blinking. Like I said that only happens for a few seconds. So i'm thinking maybe my old IDE HD (with my OS on) is going bad. It's about 2 years old so it might be dying. Could this tie in with my 2900Pro even if I tried the drivers on the HD and on another HD.
 
First things first, run the ati uninstall utility that clears up all ati software. Then use driver cleaner or something to get rid of all your nvidia drivers from the 8800gt. Next install 7.11 drivers ;) 8.1 run like crap for me so woulnt hurt to rule em out for you too.
 
When I do get ATI tool to respond I can't switch any of the set up options and for the Core and Memory Frequencies it's showing up as:

1.#J Mhz

What does that mean?

Also, in my Bios my 12v rail is like 12.11v or something so that I'm getting enough power right?
 
Well I did reinstall the drivers like you said and i'm still getting shitty results. All ATI tool does is not reswpond and my typing "Lags" behind so much.
 
Reinstal OS sometimes that's only thing that helps for driver problems.
 
Reinstal OS sometimes that's only thing that helps for driver problems.

Buy a new hard drive too, that problem can migrate just because it was once a problem on that drive.....Oh, and dont forget to do the exorcism of that drive when you replace it....
[/scarcasm off]

My 2900GT doesn't like ATI tray tool, and didn't like ATITool either. Try using just the CCC software, and see if that helps any. I think they both need to be updated by the authors to make the 2900 cards work better.
 
Buy a new hard drive too, that problem can migrate just because it was once a problem on that drive.....Oh, and dont forget to do the exorcism of that drive when you replace it....
[/scarcasm off]

Keep your sarcasm to yourself there are cases where driver cleaner software is not enough.
 
Make sure you downloaded ATI tool .27 Rev 4, otherwise the 2900pro is not recognized and unsupported. (It might be on a couple prior, but not much earlier.) You're getting poor results, because the card is at stock speeds. Mind you this card can OC (as long as you got the 512bit variant) 200+mhz on the core and 100+ on the ram. That's where your missing performance is. ;)
 
I got the 256bit variant because newegg had it as 512bit then literally a few hours after I bought it I guess they realized the typo and changed it to 256bit variant.
 
Don't worry 256 bit one is equvalent of 2850 512 - with a bit louder cooling.
And can OC to 750-760 core speeds without changing voltages and goes over 800 with a bit of bios flashing-voltage tweaking.
 
Keep your sarcasm to yourself there are cases where driver cleaner software is not enough.

Yeah, sometimes there are places a nuclear warhead is the only way....We use them all the time, dont we?

[/even more scarcasm for the kode kiddy who jumps at people who replace a power cable with the advise of "reinstall the OS!!!!.]
 
Back
Top