• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I need help with modding this AT psu.

mosin

[H]ardForum Junkie
Joined
Sep 30, 2001
Messages
6,558
I want to use an old AT power supply to just run fans. My router and DSL modem run pretty hot, so I thought I would mod them for fans. The psu won't fit inside either of them, of course, so I figure I can mod the whole works into a case, psu included.

Do I need to load the 5V rail with a resistor, or can I simply use the 12V rail to run the fans without doing anything else?
 
I use one for powering some bench-top multimeters, and only load the 12 V line. But it depends on the power supply. Look on the label - along with the the maximum ratings it may give minimum loads.

If it doesn't say, give it a try with just the fans. Not much loss in blowing up an AT supply.
 
Back
Top