I need help with computer questions!

AMDXP

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
2,631
My friend wants a shuttle

Hes a complete nub and has about 1 grand to spend.

He doesnt want to build it so somone will build it for him.

He says he wants to play d3, hl2 (dont ask)


Hes a complete moron and says he wants to overclock but whats a good cpu incase he doesnt in that budget?

This is what I asked him.... 1. Do you want to Overclock 2. Do you want a DVD/CD-RW drive? 3.How much hardrive space do you need in gbs I recommend 80gb for a small budget?


He said he wants a 120 gb but whatever.

He'll do probably gaming on it he loves games and some writing and reports.

Whats good DVD/CD-RW drive?


Thanks I'm sorry if its mumbled and I'm not fimilar with building shuttles so i dont know what to buy so if you guys can list a setup which I can show him it would be very appreciated and also the price must include an operating system ram the whole works except for a monitor.
 
who might want to post this in SFF section.....might get more feed back ;)

DREW
 
you asked what dvd/cd-r and i said "samsung"There a good brand.
 
You should be able to put together a nice Shuttle system for a grand.
figure the shuttle is about $300,
A couple sticks (1GB) of Corsair ram $315,
Maybe ATI 9800 Pro 128MB Vid $225,
WD SATA 200GB Drive $125,
OS XP Pro $137
Pioneer DVD Burner $100
I think that's everything.

Total ~$1200 (close enough).

Edit:
Dohhh, forgot the chip. AMD64 3400+ $295

Forget it now I'm 50% over budget. Funny, always happens when I'm building a PC.
 
I pick up quite a bit from my local PC Club. Just a really quick list of stuff for something like that from their site (can find better prices for some stuff online - I am sure).

Shuttle 533 capable Intel Rig: $200
http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4976405

512Mb stick of PC 2700: $88
http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4303293

LiteOn 12X DVD Burner: $80 -- with an additional 10 rebate
http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A1546998

200Gb HDD: $140
http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A3494805

For the CPU you can drop in a 2.4 from outpost.com / Fry's for: $114
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4036272

Slap in a nice video card:
6800NU for ~300

And - you have a (pretty much) complete system for ~1000 (including tax)
 
Back
Top