I need help with a disaster, please.

Maximos

2[H]4U
Hi guys.

I was just partitioning my drive up and it was being miserable - First, I tried GParted. It kept giving me errors. PM 8.0 kept giving me all sorts of errors, also. Later, I put in my GParted CD and it seemed to partition fine...till I reboot. Windows says it needs to run CHKDSK. FIne. It went through a 1.5 hour process of replacing invalid security indexes with valid ones...I say alright, it must just be adjusting to the smaller partition. It boots into Windows the frist time, it's all acting up and stuff. I reboot, and now it just gives me my background and that's it. No icons, no desktop, nothing.

I tried booting into safe mode and the same thing occurs. I have no clue what to do...I fear that all my data is lost. Anybody know how I can get out of this mess?

edit: I was able to boot into a semi-normal Windows environment, after something like 10 minutes at that background that I described above. When I open IE7, it just closes. Nothing appears in the taskbar/startbar at the bottom of the screen, even when I open something. Also, I can not copy and paste. I just want to fix this... any help would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks alot.

do you know what each program did to your disk?
versus this general scenario:
100 GB xp
backup everything and be sure the backup works
del recycle folder contents, erase "system restore" data,
defrag
defrag again
use a boot/partition manager (like BootIt) to shrink the partition down to its
data size (say, 30 gig)
use the boot/partition manager to install a dual-boot manager PER XP-compliant
procedure
install another OS to the second partition
test the boot of each
each step has to be carefully thought out, usually using a beenthere-donethat guide
from somewhere unless one has done it before enough times to be comfortable

Well, I am in the process of reinstalling the core XP OS files from disk...we will see how it goes. Thanks :)

I don't know if this will work or not, but it can't hurt anything to try...

Boot from your XP install cd and enter setup, find the partition that XP is installed on and select it, then select the option to leave the current file system intact (I think it's the last option). Try and boot into Windows and see if that did the trick. If not, you might need to do a repair install, but I think it should work...

Good luck...

EDIT.... dammit.. too slow....

Back