I need help veeeeeeeeery badly (iPod serious trouble)

ok, I just received an iPod for my 16th birthday today.

It works fine and all, but when I put the cd into my computer (a Dell, running on Windows XP) to install iTunes, it gives me the following error:

"1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime."

I searched the Apple site up and down for a solution, as well as the Microsoft and InstallShield web sites. I also called the Dell service number, and the guy said that it should run on our system. I would GREATLY appreciate specific directions on how to fix this error and install iTunes, or if there is another way to get songs from my computer to my iPod?

-Mike

have you tried downloading itunes from apple's site? It's possible you have a bad cd.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

*edit* or, if you don't have broadband I think Apple stores have free iTunes cd's they give out, or so I've read.

whoops, I forgot to add that.

Yes, I did download iTunes on it's own multiple times, but I get the same error. Is there another program that can be used to upload songs to my 'pod?

From installsheild.com

Symptoms

When running an installation created with InstallShield Express, the following error occurs during setup initialization:

Error 1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime.

This error is thrown by Setup.exe when it encounters an error from the Windows Installer package.

Cause

This issue occurs on some systems depending on the system configuration and privileges set for the user. Listed below are some common causes of this error message:

1. The user does not have administrative privileges on the machine. This pertains to Windows NT, 2000, or XP machines.

2. The ALLUSERS property is not set appropriately for the IsScript.msi file. This is only true for the installation of Express 3.54 itself. Express 3.54 setup is based on InstallScript, leading to this error message.

3. Permissions are not set appropriately on the Installer folder in the Windows folder.

4. An older version of InstallShield Express 3.x is installed on the machine, and the older version fails to uninstall properly. This usually happens when upgrading Express from an older version to a newer one.

5. Multiple instances of files Msiexec.exe or IDriver.exe may be running in memory.

6. The Windows Installer Service may not be properly installed or configured on the machine.

7. The installation is trying to remove a file that is locked on the machine. This issue generally occurs when setup is being removed using the 'Remove' option of the Add Remove Programs applet on Windows XP, 2000, or ME.

Resolution

Listed below are some suggestions that may help eliminate this error message. You may need to try all or some in order to work around the error message.

1. Make sure that you have administrative privileges to run the setup on the machine. To run InstallShield Express 3.5 SP4 setup, users need full admin privileges on Windows NT, 2000, and XP machines.

2. Download and run IsScript.msi. This file internally sets the ALLUSERS property, which is known to fix the issue in some cases. After downloading the attached file, replace the IsScript.msi shipped with InstallShield Express 3.5 SP4 setup with this updated version. The file IsScript.msi can be found in the same path as InstallShield Express 3.5 SP4 Setup.exe.

3. Make sure that the Installer folder in the Windows directory on the machine is not read only. The path to the installer folder is typically C:\Winnt\Installer on Windows NT, 2000, and XP machines and C:\Windows\Installer on Windows 9x and Me machines. Right-click on the Installer folder and select Properties. Make sure that it is not read only. On some machines, the Installer folder may be hidden. Before searching for this folder in the above path, make sure to show hidden files and folders in the Windows Explorer options.

4. You may want to manually uninstall any previous version of InstallShield Express 3.x from the machine before installing the new version. If the uninstallation fails, use MsiCleanUp utility to uninstall the old product. You can download MsiCleanUp from MSDN at Q238413 OFF2000: Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

5. Launch the Task Manager to see if multiple instances of Msiexec.exe or IDriver.exe are running on the machine. You can launch the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete. You should have at least one instance of these files running as these engine files drive the setup. However, if you see more than one instance of Msiexec.exe or IDriver.exe, it could be the cause of the issue. If this is the case, reboot the machine and run the installation again.

6. Run the file InstmsiA.exe on Windows 9x or Me or InstmsiW.exe on Windows NT, 2000, or XP to install and configure the Windows Installer Service on the machine. These files can be found in the same path as Setup.exe for the InstallShield Express 3.5 SP4 setup. If the issue persists, register the file Msiexec.exe manually on the machine. To do this, run the following command-line option in the Start > Run command or command prompt of the operating system:

* Windows NT, 2000:

C:\Winnt\System32\Msiexec.exe /REGSERVER
* Windows 9x, Me or XP:

C:\Windows\System\Msiexec.exe /REGSERVER
7. If your installation is trying to uninstall a file that is in use, the Windows Installer Service throws the File In Use Dialog. However, when you attempt to uninstall the installation via the Remove option of the Add/Remove Programs applet (ARP), the Windows Installer setup runs the uninstallation in a basic User Interface mode, which does not display the File In Use Dialog, displaying error 1607. As a workaround, you may want to disable the ARP Remove option in the installation. This forces users to uninstall via the Change option of ARP, which will notify the user when a file is in use. To disable Remove option from ARP, open your project in Express and:

* Click on Organize Your Setup > General Information.

* Set the Disable Remove Button Attribute to Yes.

Additional Information

In some instances, this issue has known to be fixed by lowering the system resolution. For example, from 1280 x 1024 to a lower resolution of 800 x 600. You can access the display settings to change the resolution by right clicking on the desktop and selecting Properties. Select the Settings tab to change the resolution.

Yes there is other software you can install.
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/
Not free, but there are others. I forgot what they are because i like iTunes better.

google=good

There is alternatives to iTunes, perhaps better for what you need:

*Ephpod (Free!) (Recommended)*

*Anapod (Paid) (Looks sweet, but must pay...) *

*XPlay (Paid) (Don't know much about it....)*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to get more information about a solution to your problem or about your ipod.....

Ipod Lounge (Awesome forums for ipods... but, not as [H]ardcore as the [H]ardforums....)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all I can say....

Hope you find a solution to your unusual problem.... Nothing like keeping a man/woman from his/her ipod. :rolleyes:

(FYI, I don't own a Ipod.... :( Just did some research about the Ipod. I was considering buying one, but the price is too expensive for now.)

it does sound line an install shield error and I know for a fact that it was used properly in the iTunes installer otherwise everybody would be having the same issue...there is a kbase article HERE but it looks like it just links to Brett13's post

Back