I need help! (newbie building first system)

Hoof

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
161
Its ridiculous how much ive spent on this new computer and I cant even get it to turn on. Lets just say ive spent close to 3k on this new build and I havnt even been able to get that damn thing powered on, this is my first build so go easy on me. I got an OCZ PowerStream 520 and once I had everything hooked up I plugged it into the wall outlet it sparked a little blue flame or w/e. I unplugged everything started messeing around with it again and plugged it back in, no spark this time but nothing will power on. Messed with it again and got it turn on for like a second, I saw the blue light and the fan moved slightly and then quickly turned back off. By the way this is my second OCZ 520 the last one sparked too and it was making my breakers go off. So I went to best buy and got an Antec Truepower 2.0. It wont turn on if its not hooked up to my computer just like the OCZ wont, is this normal? Turns out the Antec is missing a pci connector and a 4 pin connector to plugin to my motherboard. Im to the point where im gonna call freaking geek squad at best buy to see if they can help me. Apparently I suck at computers or I just have really bad luck. Anyways I wanna get this thing working since it cost me so much, I am stuck, what do you guys suggest?
 
if you're trying to get it to wotk without a computer, put a wire/paperclip between the green and black wires. I mean like connect them with a wire.
 
Hoof said:
I had everything hooked up I plugged it into the wall outlet it sparked a little blue flame or w/e.


short :eek:

replace the PSU
dismount everything
start over
employ ESD precautions

install CPU, heatsink\fan, speaker and PSU > try for beeps
install memory, vidcard and monitor > try for a single beep and BIOS (make sure to check temperatures)
mount mobo into case and repeat to > BIOS (make sure to re-check temperatures)
Attach drives, fans > BIOS
Install OS & mobo drivers
install additional cards and drivers
secure computer then connect to internet
stress test components, especially test RAM (memtest86+)

at this point hopefully the PSU took a bullet rather than let the short fry components
when your disassembling make sure to look for the cause, having a mobo standoff
improperly placed and touching the back of the mobo is very common, but not the only possibility

treat cold cathodes as highly suspect
 
Back
Top